Using Overseas Credit Cards In Thailand

Mason45

Good question, Vagabond... We don't want you to be starving now!!! :D

I've never done back to back credit and debit card deals to see the comparison... Maybe one of us can...

But...I think it's safe to assume, the purchase rate on the credit card transaction (assuming it's processed in baht) is not going to be any better than the debit card ATM withdrawal. Might be less...or equal. But certainly not better.

And, of course...many variables... using a Thai ATM that avoids the 150 baht fee. Using a U.S. debit card that from a bank that doesn't take their own cut. Using a U.S. credit card that doesn't charge the 1 to 3% foreign transaction charge... etc etc...

Perhaps, someone could do that kind of comparison using the Schwab VISA debit card and the Schwab VISA credit card, since we know that they're not adding on any extra charges or fees for those transactions.

I get my money by withdrawing from ATM machines using my VISA debit card.

Does anyone know if you get the same foreign exchange rate if you either withdraw money from an ATM machine using a VISA DC or purchase an item using a VISA CC, assuming both transactions appears on your account at the same time?

I haven't left my room since I posted this question, waiting for answer. I ran out of food and I am starting to get hungry and thirsty, :)

so please,

Does anyone know the answer to my above question? :D

Is it possible to use a non Thai VISA credit card in major shopping outlets such as BIG C, Tesco and Carrefour etc in Thailand, I've just moved into a new house and need some credit for a TV, stereo, fridge and washing machine etc while I'm waiting for a large term deposit to mature in my country. Thanks.

Mason

I use my visa all the time shopping in BigC, Lotus, Makro in Khon Kaen, never a problem over 10 years.

Used it in Bangkok also, at Foodland and in shopping malls.

My bank does not charge a fee either.

I do tell them every so often that I am in Thailand just in case. :)