• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Transport To Border Crossings

ChouDoufu

I'm planning several short cycle tours for next year (after the december marathon), and am looking for options of

getting my bicycle to the border crossing starting point. Yes, i know, i could ride, but i'll have limited time and

i've already done the three day trip from chiang khong to chiang mai.

I see there are train connections from ubon ratchathani which seems convenient. Also connections from nong khai,

although less convenient as i'll have to switch trains in ayuthayya. looks like a vip bus direct nong khai-chiang mai

might be better.

Questions for those that have taken vip bus to nong khai, mae sai, chiang khong: were the busses mostly

loaded with fur'ners on visa runs? did you happen to notice how much baggage space was available?

And for those that have gone through mae sai to tacheleik, is onward travel permitted here?

I'm planning several short cycle tours for next year (after the december marathon), and am looking for options of

getting my bicycle to the border crossing starting point. Yes, i know, i could ride, but i'll have limited time and

i've already done the three day trip from chiang khong to chiang mai.

I see there are train connections from ubon ratchathani which seems convenient. Also connections from nong khai,

although less convenient as i'll have to switch trains in ayuthayya. looks like a vip bus direct nong khai-chiang mai

might be better.

Questions for those that have taken vip bus to nong khai, mae sai, chiang khong: were the busses mostly

loaded with fur'ners on visa runs? did you happen to notice how much baggage space was available?

And for those that have gone through mae sai to tacheleik, is onward travel permitted here?

I have no idea from this where you are starting from.

I've taken my bike on the VIP bus from Chiang Mae to Mae sai without a problem. The luggage bay under the bus is a little smaller than on a regular bus so I had to take the front wheel off. Passengers are usually 90% farang with no luggage.

There is no VIP bus from CM to Chang Khong. I usually take the bus tfrom Chiang Mai to Chang Rai and either switch buses there or ride from CR to CK. The CM-CR bus (and reverse) is packed with luggage. I've always had to remove both wheels but they always find room for the bike.

Onward travel from Tachilek is impossible. I've tried several times, as have others. There's a guy on the CR forum (Chief Monkey?) who insists you can do it, but when questioned never posts how.

currently stationed in chiang mai. next year am planning 8-10 one- to two-week cycle tours.

i'd rather not spend too much time repeating the ride to/from the border crossing points,

unless the scenery is spectacular or there's something specific to see. not that i'm not

enjoying cycling in thailand - those rides can all be done using train connections if necessary.

currently planning:

bus to chiang khong, ride huay xai to vientiane, return bus to cm

repeat a few times along different routes.

bus to nong khai, ride vientiane to vang tao to ubon ratchatani, train to cm

same same, with different routes within laos.

bus to mae sai.......

i've read (but don't know current situation) that inland travel is permitted,

but only within 200 km of tacheleik.

• 2 weeks later...

doing some research on the lonely planet forums, it appears that some onward travel in myanmar is possible from tacheleik.

we supposedly can get a 14-day permit and are allowed to travel the tacheleik-kengtung-mongla corridor. you must however leave your

passport at the border crossing and will be given a pink permit, which lists your planned itinerary. must return to tacheleik to get your

passport back. no other onward travel under this program.

continuing on to mongla in wa state might be a little scary now.

choudoufu

re ..... we supposedly can get a 14-day permit

yes you could in feb 06 coz i did it and spent a few days in tachilek .... weather you can still get one now ive no idea.

BUT and its a big but ..... re .... and are allowed to travel the tacheleik-kengtung-mongla corridor ?

NOT true when i was there ..... the 14 day entry visa only allowed you to travel about 30 kms from tachilek and NO further

.... see the visa .... permitted to travel to and within tachilek area ONLY !

if you wanted to go any further you had to get a 30 day entry visa which they told me took about two days not the hour and a half to get me a 14 day visa .

i didnt want to go to china anyway so i had a look around tachilek for a few days and then went back home to chiang mai

things / rules may have changed sinse but thats my experience of traveling / staying in myanmar

enjoy pics .... dave2