Bkk To Loei

spice1

Are you on a motorcycle or a scooter? On a motorcycle you can ride Bangkok to Loei in 3-4 hours. Awesome roads up there but be careful on the road that follows the Mekong river- rainy season + lots of trucks have really torn up the road and it's in TERRIBLE shape along most of the border.

Ride On!

Tony

Here's a loop we did after the Udon Bike Week in February that took us through Loei-

UdonThaniRideMap.jpg

Beautiful scenery along the Mekong, but the road was already in poor shape then...

020809Mekong211dSm.jpg

Did a similar ride but in reverse in July-

July4SSRMap.jpg

Made great time and reached Loei in time for lunch:

JulySSRLoeiLunch.jpg

On to Nong Khai via the river road which had deteriorated noticeably from the last time we rode it in February-

JulySSRMekong.jpg

We were pretty tired by the time we reached Nong Khai!

JulySSR20.jpg

JulySSRKnackeredBBB.jpg

Have a good ride and let us know how the road conditions are up there, ok?

Happy Trails!

Tony

Hi Tony and cheers..

i didnt realise it would be that quick to get up there!

I am going on my Tracker, so slightly better than a wave : ))

and hopefully it will be able to take on the roads if they are that bad, suppose it will add some more excitement to the trip too :S

Not planing on doing it in a hurry, think i will spend about 10 days, so should be enough time to take i the sights..

Dan.

Don't believe these guys here, they like to beat their chest bit too much. I doubt you enjoy keeping up over 180 kph average speed to reach Loei in 3 hours... You spend already one hour filling up you tank and other hour getting rid of traffic in bangkok end so not doable in my opinion unless you try it in the middle of the night trying to keep 250 kph as much as you can but that's not riding, that's suicidal.

Still not surprised if one of the guys claims they did just that. And propably with the lad that was killed earlier this year...

So take it easy enjoy the ride and it will take you anything between 6 and 8 hrs. Or split it up and spend a night in udon or kk. Both nice places...

"Still not surprised if one of the guys claims they did just that. And propably with the lad that was killed earlier this year..."

Here's another guy that posts before he thinks. Jeeze mate think about other peoples feelings!

Also he did say 3-4 hours. its about 500km's so 4 hrs is 125km's hour is that fast ummmmm....... Is 140 to fast is 150 to fast... it all depends on the road really... and mate if it takes you 1hr to fill up ya bike you are doing something badly WRONG.

Edited by thaicbr

Hi Tony and cheers..

i didnt realise it would be that quick to get up there!

I am going on my Tracker, so slightly better than a wave : ))

and hopefully it will be able to take on the roads if they are that bad, suppose it will add some more excitement to the trip too :S

Not planing on doing it in a hurry, think i will spend about 10 days, so should be enough time to take i the sights..

Dan.

Cheers Dan,

A D-tracker is great because it can handle just about anything and with 10 days you'll have plenty of time to explore some of the beautiful roads up there.

Ooops- MJo caught me- :) I think I have to revise my travel time- :D it was a while ago and I do recall that we reached Loei from Bangkok around lunch time, but I think we left Bangkok around 0600, so that would make travel time from Bangkok to Loei closer to 5 or 6 hours. And the day it takes me an hour to fill my tank... will probably be the day all bikes are electric :D

And MJo- a little respect for our mate, his widow and children and family and friends! He was a very experienced rider and "reckless" is the LAST word anyone would use to describe him. When a homicidal 10 wheel truck decides to take you out it really doesn't matter if you're going 50 or 150 the truck will still win... :D

Ride On!

Tony

If you read the posts in past year here in TV bike forum it went from CBR150 club into bragging who can "blast" the fastest to CM and back. Just promoting racing on public roads. Shows complete lack of any consideration to others and your own well being in my opinion. And yes, i'm surprised it's still going on after what has happened this year. My apologies if i hurt your feelings.

There is lot of bikers out there who just enjoy a good drive at speed they are confortable. For some it might be 150, myself it's between 100 and 125 depending on conditions.

If you take the fastest road via Korat, KK and udon it's over 600 clicks. And no, it does not take an hour to fill up my bike. I just recon OP's tracker is not going to make it with one tank so he is most likely forced to stop couple of times.

Well now i have said it so i can hand over this sandbox back to you guys. Keep safe.

Thx For the comments..

i dont intend to be driving recklessly and it would be hard as the tracker is not really built for speed : (

and i am pretty sure about 2 stops for petrol and rest, maybe more !

but then having 10 or more days, think i will drive to Petchabun 1st, stopover then do the rest. sabai (when in rome..)

so looks like i will be heading out early Sunday morning..!

Thx For the comments..

i dont intend to be driving recklessly and it would be hard as the tracker is not really built for speed : (

and i am pretty sure about 2 stops for petrol and rest, maybe more !

but then having 10 or more days, think i will drive to Petchabun 1st, stopover then do the rest. sabai (when in rome..)

so looks like i will be heading out early Sunday morning..!

Petchabun is a cool town worth checking out and is surrounded by awesome roads. Recommend the Kosit Hotel- very good value for money and biker friendly-

020809Khosit6Sm.jpg

Excellent breakfast buffet at the Kosit Cafe too!

020809KhositER6nSm.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony