Nz Minister Gave Thai Nationals Permanent Residence In Return For Free Labour

Pls. follow the link: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article....1639&pnum=0

Tears flow over Taito Phillip Field's 'tough penalty'

Updated 7:40PM Tuesday Oct 06, 2009

By Andrew Koubaridis

Tears flowed when disgraced former MP Taito Phillip Field was today sentenced to six years in jail, with his lawyer saying he could not rule out an appeal.

Field, 57, stood in the High Court at Auckland dock clutching a bible as he became the first MP to be jailed for bribery, corruption and perverting the course of justice.

His lawyer Paul Davison , QC, told reporters six years was "a tough penalty for someone like Mr Field", who was an MP for 12 years, for Labour then as an independent.

The sentence was longer than he thought appropriate, Mr Davidson said.

"The issue of appeal hasn't been decided, but it's certainly something which is receiving some consideration."

Field's wife Maxine said she was heartbroken.

Her husband told her this morning that whatever happened, she had to look up to the Lord and be strong.

"I'll be OK. We'll be OK. God will take care of us. We are so heartbroken because all this is happening after the tsunami in Samoa," she said, still protesting her husband's innocence.

"I'm very sad. There was no intention at all," she said.

Justice Rodney Hansen sentenced Field to four years in prison on the bribery and corruption charges and two years on the charges of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

The sentences were to be served cumulatively.

In August, a jury found the former Mangere MP guilty of 26 of the 35 criminal charges he faced, ending a 15-week trial.

He was found guilty of 11 of 12 charges of bribery and corruption after getting Thai nationals to carry out work on his properties in Auckland and Samoa in return for immigration assistance between November 2002 and October 2005.

He was also found guilty of 15 of 23 charges of wilfully attempting to obstruct or pervert the course of justice relating to evidence he gave to a Government-ordered inquiry by Noel Ingram, QC, into his conduct.

- NZPA

Edited by cdnvic
Bangkok Post URLs not allowed, changed to a NZ Herald Link, and added intro.

How much you wanna bet he doesn't pick up that bible again until his first parole hearing?

he might be picking up soap instead :)

He betta be careful he doesn't drop his soap in the showers and bend over to pick it up..........

Not much sympathy for him in my area of Auckland.

Making victims of people trying to find a new life, stuff him and his bible.

Mite be the infamous LITTLE RED BOOK of the chairman.

Edited by Zpete

The industry does seem to attract the crooks...

The Italian PM is having probs with his law makers this week who are trying to bring him to justice.

The ex-Istraeli PM is up on corruption charges.

I love to see these corrupt soandsos put away - justice for all. Good on the Kiwis.

Edited by jasreeve17

I'll mow Aphasit's lawn once a fortnight if he'll tell immigration that it's perfectly legal for me to live in Thailand without working at aged 42 if I've got a minimum 400k in the bank. If I hear "Where's your work permit?" one more time.......... :)