Cabinet Rejects Copyrights, Trademark Amendment Bill

webfact

Cabinet rejects copyrights, trademark amendment bill

The Cabinet Tuesday rejected a bill seeking to amend the Copyrights Act and Trademark Act for fear that police would try to arrest only buyers instead of sellers.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said the Cabinet sent back the amendment to the Commerce Ministry to review as its enforcement could lead to problems.

For example, he said, buyers might not know that the preloaded software on their computers was not licensed.

He said the amendment bill might prompt police to arrest buyers instead of trying to arrest sellers of pirated products.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/06

For the first time in a long time, a piece of prospective legislation that effects the daily lives of people is sent back to be reconsidered.

I believe this to be a momentous moment for modern Thailand. Is this the start of a functioning government?

Edited by Thai at Heart

I suppose knowing what the Extortionists in brown have managed to do with the shoplifting scams and tourists; made them think it might be a good idea not to hand over a replacement scam quite so eagerly. Could have been so much bigger than King Power.

Last month I had an interesting education about how the police work here. one of our neighbours runs a chicken fighting operation 2 days a week, illegal in BKK and the sounding areas. for 2 weeks he shutdown completely and I asked him about it. There had been a new station commander installed at the local station and all the grey/black business has been told in no uncertain terms by local BiB they were to shutdown until they had their meeting with the station commander to sort things out. Clearly demonstrates that corruption is not a problem that is located with individual officers. To be honest it shows the control and discipline of the mafia. I really hate chicken fighting, but I would rather have it operating legally; than by feeding these scum bags.

It is really nice seeing someone deny them new weapons. :)

Yes - it's good to see a law rejected (or at least delayed?) because it would only increase the opportunity for police curruption. But the reasoning behind the decision seems to accept police curruption as a constant that needs to be worked around. Surely any law will be pointless if the enforcement agencies can't be trusted?

What most people are missing her is that it is illegal to have pirated software on your computer in many parts of the world. Microsoft et al, through industry bodies, does get warrants and search the computers in offices, prosecuting the owners of the computers (the companies) for having pirate software installed by the staff.

This amendment would bring Thailand's laws into line with other countries.

Now who would be affected if everyone had to buy legit software?

For the first time in a long time, a piece of prospective legislation that effects the daily lives of people is sent back to be reconsidered.

I believe this to be a momentous moment for modern Thailand. Is this the start of a functioning government?

It is surely a good sign a good thought was put into the review and the bill sent back.

The aim should always be to target those that make money from the IP infringement, NOT the purchaser. Not even those that share, for free, with friends. They are very much secondary and not a real cause of income-loss here in Asia.

What most people are missing her is that it is illegal to have pirated software on your computer in many parts of the world. Microsoft et al, through industry bodies, does get warrants and search the computers in offices, prosecuting the owners of the computers (the companies) for having pirate software installed by the staff.

This amendment would bring Thailand's laws into line with other countries.

No, it is not illegal in many parts of the world.

In most parts it is a civil offense to commit IP violations, not a criminal one.

That is why you are sued and not sent to prison by the state.