Optometrists/optical Clinics In C.maii

harpman88

Hello all.I will be arriving in C.Mai in May with my OA retirement visa in hand,the posts concerning condos,apartments,dental clinics,etc.have been very helpful.

Any suggestions on optical/eyeglass clinics?? Anyone have any experiences with getting "progressive" lenses fitted in CM?

(they're the lenses that darken automatically as they're exposed to sunlight) Thanx in advance,the Harpman.

I do not believe that is what they are called - more like photo-grey and such. Progressive lens is multi focal type I believe.

I have not used that type is years so perhaps they have improved but they never worked well inside car when I needed them, were too slow to react when they did work, and never as clear as a normal pair of glasses; so went back to clip on type sunglasses myself.

The chain stores are in Chiang Mai and believe there have been several recommendations either here on in medical area within the last few months.

There is a thread on this issue about six months old with many suggestions.

My experience with Top Charoen Optical has been great, both in CM and Pattaya.

My glasses are progressive and no problem for them.

They do seem to mark up their shelf price for glasses and then mark them way down, so negotiate and ask them for special price.

My net cost for quality progressive glasses is about 100 USD as compared to 3-4 hundred in the U.S.

I would stay away from "Brand Name" frames that are imported as they carry heavy import duties.

The staff in each shop of this chain seem knowledgeable, although their English varies. This chain seems to be located in almost every shopping area I have visited and their service is chain wide. Their diagnostic equipment is state of the art.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, take a pro-active role is getting your wants known and executed. They can make mistakes, so don't expect perfection, but followup service is gladly given.

The shop I go to is located on the second floor of the Central Huay Kaew shopping center just as you enter from the parking garage, south side. Same floor and not far from the entrance to the Lotus Hotel Restaurant and opposite the escalators that take you down to the Lana Style Hotel Restraurant.

I have seen other Top Charoen Optical shops in Night Bazaar and near Tha Pae Gate. The shops vary in size, so the larger one I go to seems to have the best selection.

Good luck

Sounds like my needs can be met,I go to Central Huay Kaew quite often anyway,wont even have to make a special trip,thanx Pro Thai.

And you're right Lop,I am referring to the lens type that was called

"photo grey" when they were 1st formulated,altho one seldom hears that phrase these days,and indeed my lenses are bifocal.The "progressive"

part must be that there is no line made in the glass between the 2 lenses.

Progressive I think refers to seeing thinking like a bifocal with out the lines. As you look in the middle or bottom of your glasses they get bigger. I do not personally like them.

You are talking about Photo Lens. I think..

skycop :o

Hello all.I will be arriving in C.Mai in May with my OA retirement visa in hand,the posts concerning condos,apartments,dental clinics,etc.have been very helpful.

Any suggestions on optical/eyeglass clinics?? Anyone have any experiences with getting "progressive" lenses fitted in CM?

(they're the lenses that darken automatically as they're exposed to sunlight) Thanx in advance,the Harpman.

~

I keep hoping that someday someone will invent a bifocal lens with the magnifier at the top of the lens rather than the bottom. I have tried standard and progressive lenses and negotiating things like Thai sidewalks and stairs is a bitch.

Since about 90% of the time the top portion of our visual field is only sky, why not put the magnifier band up there? Just thoughts and I am wondering if I can actually order a custom lens here... Will see (pun intended)...

da stumbling Dustoff