Flights From Bkk To Uk More Than Uk To Bkk Why?

rstfiesta

Why are return flights from Bangkok to England aprox £300 more than England to Bangkok? thats even flying on the same planes with the same operator. Do Thais have to pay a high flight premium or something?

I am asking as i want to fligh my girlfriend over to the UK as a birthday present to her (if i can sort the holiday visa out) but it looks like it will cost me £800 where as it will only cost me £450 or 500 to go see her.

Why are return flights from Bangkok to England aprox £300 more than England to Bangkok? thats even flying on the same planes with the same operator. Do Thais have to pay a high flight premium or something?

I am asking as i want to fligh my girlfriend over to the UK as a birthday present to her (if i can sort the holiday visa out) but it looks like it will cost me £800 where as it will only cost me £450 or 500 to go see her.

It is called ripping off.

Thailand want people to come and not to leave airlines should be ashamed of them selves.

Question of supply and demand.

It always used to be much cheaper to buy from Bangkok than in Europe. I'm talking about last 10 to 20 years at least. Only a year of two ago it swing the other way. Propably something to do with the economy back in the old world. Airlines competing with price as there is not enough customers around to fill all their planes. Asia seems not to be that badly effected so propably still selling better thus not so heavy discounts available.

Would not call it rip off, more likely healthy competition in european market.

I did ok with eva air 14,294 baht to fly to LHR on the 7th this month then i asked about extending till the 9th no problem and no charge :)

Good price. And also good to hear some aorlines are not a rip off. I had to change my return date to London last month and was charged £100 at check in by Gulf Air. Never flying with them again.

Been said a few times before.

Most of the airlines fly out of multiple aiports in the UK with many flights each day as opposed to 1 or 2 flights out of BKK each day. So it comes down to supply and demand and trying to sell tickets out of the UK as has been said.

Emirates for example probably has 20 - 30 flights a day out of the UK now compared to 2 out of BKK.

Thailand want people to come and not to leave airlines should be ashamed of them selves.

:) That's funny. So you reckon that Thailand dictates the minimum amount of money each airline in the world must charge to take passengers from Thailand to the UK and sets this rate artificially high, just to keep people here?

I think that the price differences have got something to do with the value of the USD Dollar currently plus the fact that plane tickets are priced based on the strength of local economies and currencies. When the Thai Baht was a weak currency it was always cheaper to buy BKK/LHR tickets in Thailand than it was to buy the reverse trip in the UK. But now that the Baht has strengthened and the Pound has weakened the obverse is true. On this note I just read an article that suggested flights in Asia will likely increase by 10% next year whereas UK/European costs will increase by around 1%.

Edited by chiang mai

I do think that Thailand based residents are paying over the odds.

As an example to support my belief I recently checked Singapore Airlines’ return business class fares from London – Bangkok and Bangkok to London / Singapore – London. The fare was unsurprisingly much lower departing from Heathrow than from Bangkok. But when checking the fare from Singapore it was about 50,000 baht cheaper than from Bangkok or to put it another way that equates to a 50,000 baht business class round trip Bangkok – Singapore.

I challenged Singapore Airlines about how they can justify such differences in their fares but perhaps as an admission of being unable to defend these differences they chose not to respond.

Flights from BKK-Lon are no more expensive now than 5 years ago in fact there are better bargains now than then. The main reason is you are booking in Thai Baht rather than Sterling, as Sterling has dropped 33% againts the Baht in the past 4 years that is the reason...no other whaatsoever....30,000 Baht flight previuosly £400 at 75 Baht... now is £600 at 50Baht...50% increase!

Most of the airlines fly out of multiple aiports in the UK with many flights each day as opposed to 1 or 2 flights out of BKK each day. So it comes down to supply and demand and trying to sell tickets out of the UK as has been said.

Emirates for example probably has 20 - 30 flights a day out of the UK now compared to 2 out of BKK.

A little high side on the estimate, Emirate flies to 101 destinations but only has 127 planes so probably more like less than 8 flights a day out of the UK.

A little high side on the estimate, Emirate flies to 101 destinations but only has 127 planes so probably more like less than 8 flights a day out of the UK.