Internet Bandwidth Leaving And Entering Thailand Limited To 0.1mb?

gosompoi

I have noticed that the bandwidth for pipes leaving Thailand are limited to 0.1mb. Allowing websites inside Thailand to be usable but those based for example in USA unusable. When I access websites outside of Thailand the bandwidth is limited to .1mb. I have been able to confirm this limit by benchmarking Internet speed using speedtest.net. For example I test servers in Thailand I get full speed 3.0mb upload and download but when I test using any other server outside of Thailand is limited to .1mb. Why is this? Why is the traffic bandwidth limited coming in and going out.

I believe international speeds are not limited, more likely there is limited capasity available and too many users and as a result it get's very slow.

I'm in True and located in lower sukhumvit in BKK and get the same as you out of 3 meg line. But, sometimes and usually late at night (off peak hours) i might get the occasional 1 - 2 megs international speeds...

Same over here albeit not as drastic.

Getting 3.5 Mbps domestic

586108924.png

But a fair bit slower internationally:

586109921.png

However, it seems that it is only single connections that are being limited.

Using a download manager with 8 simultaneous connections and download speeds are rock solid at 440 kBps (3.5 Mbps).

So practically the only annoying thing for me is streaming video, as it opens just one connection. Getting 0.7 Mbps is just eough for youtube, but no reserve. Any lower and you're stuck with buffering all the time.

I believe the problem is ToT I am getting 29kbps international for a week now.  at 3am it sometime makes it to 100k but drops connection every ten minutes.   I have got nothing done for a week.  2200 baht a month  for 512k and this is what they give.

I believe the only solution to this fraud is to cancel the service and not reward the theft of services.  If its not back by morning when I go into town they are history and its back to AIS dial up modem.  I am mean the difference is I can pay less then half as much a month and get 56k which is twice this speed from a professional company, why pay 2200 baht for 29kbps and a company that does not give a dam_n about customers.

Yesterday i called TOT Call Center (dial 1100, then press 9 for English) because i couldn't open any international website. Thai websites just worked fine. They told me that they have problems with their international bandwidth and are working on the problem to improve the situation. I use 3M/512K line.

In the morning (7am to 9am) everything is fine. After that the speed continuously drops. Anyway, for today i cannot see any improvement.

Maybe it's time to change the ISP...

I reckon it's ToT. I had the service techies out 2 weeks ago. Showed them inter-Thailand speeds of 2.0 which is what I pay for. But the international ones: as low as 17kb/sec.

They tested the lines, the modem, the computer settings. All ok.

Then they said that the inter-Thai lines were new technology, and the international lines are old technology, old equipment.

They even put me up to a 4meg line for an hour - and speedtest after test showed no difference. But they wanted to sell me the upgrade!!! Really? pay more for less than I'm getting now? I don't f'n think so.

Which of course doesn't explain why she'll fly at 3 a.m. Thank God for insomnia!!! What can take 4 hours in the afternoon can take 2 to 4 minutes at 3 a.m. By 5, it's down to zip.

I wonder how good CAT is in Issan.

@ RKASA

I guess it is what you make it. I see you have linux icon there so this may explain a bit more from my side.

One computer here is continually compiling open source software from sourceforge and many others, and it is not unusual to get on up to 990k on a build download at its worst 15k during peak times, but all from shell of course and one build approx 12 hours a shot and over 13,000 files. No packet shaping which I noticed on other providers, so I am chuffed with True.

Same over here albeit not as drastic.

Getting 3.5 Mbps domestic

586108924.png

But a fair bit slower internationally:

586109921.png

However, it seems that it is only single connections that are being limited.

Using a download manager with 8 simultaneous connections and download speeds are rock solid at 440 kBps (3.5 Mbps).

So practically the only annoying thing for me is streaming video, as it opens just one connection. Getting 0.7 Mbps is just eough for youtube, but no reserve. Any lower and you're stuck with buffering all the time.

100 % agreed with you.

Yesterday i called TOT Call Center (dial 1100, then press 9 for English) because i couldn't open any international website. Thai websites just worked fine. They told me that they have problems with their international bandwidth and are working on the problem to improve the situation. I use 3M/512K line.

They told me the same many years ago. I gave up after many months of waiting and changed to Maxnet. But on the other hand it is a good sign that they are still working on it - or? :)

In my experience TOT are not worth the hassle, even inside thailand can be problematic when using TOT broadband.

TTT Maxnet whilst not fantastic is a lot better.

Maybe not for everyone, but I have purchased a small linux VPS hosting account (500 baht a month) from one of the providers in bangkok (google I think they are all related - i.e. same offer), setup a proxy server on there (the guys in linux forum should be able to help), and use this when international flakes with TTT - although recently Im using it less and less as TTT has proven quite reliable (touch wood).