• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 36

60 Minutes blasted after replacing harris word salad…

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 45

Reasons of change

5. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

6. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 45

Reasons of change

9. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

10. 45

Reasons of change

11. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

12. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

13. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Ais 3g Down

gotlost

This is the first down on AIS 3g in the 4 month now I had it , so no reason to have an extra provider as backup :)

Hello, SM7WGP.

For myself I do not agree with you that there is "no reason" to have an extra provider. I believe it would be up to an individual. If someone absolutely needs to use the internet, they may want to have a backup. The cost of the backup is would may be considered.

Personally, I have had a dial up account for some years now that I don't use often..... yet it has come in very handy throughout the years.

Secondly, what will happen if AIS oversells there service? I have seen it happen time and time again since coming to Chiang Mai.

Just my thoughts.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

I dont think they will oversell not many Thais that buying in its to expensive GPRS much cheaper rate.

I see only in near future that will be many farrangs that live hear, because you need a billing address.

and most GPRS are prepaid .

Edited by SM7WGP

Ais 3G has been down for a while this morning. Anyone know why? Their help line was busy.

They just came back on. I do keep my TOT/TTT as a back up. :D

Actually I am doing the same, but in the reverse order. I like to keep my connection active full time for email so I have TOT (only thing available where I live, between CM and Mae Rim) as my main(?) service :) .

I just purchased the AIS 3G last week and I am using that when the TOT acts up and I need to do something serious on the internet. I am also waiting to see how much band width I really use on the 3G as I have no idea.

So far, so good. :D

I dont think they will oversell not many Thais that buying in its to expensive GPRS much cheaper rate.

I see only in near future that will be many farrangs that live hear, because you need a billing address.

and most GPRS are prepaid .

Why do you need a billing address? I am just asking...... not trying to make an argument.

My AIS Super 3G is prepaid. I may have given them an address, but I do not get any bills that I am aware of.

Also, there are many other things which could make an affordable backup worthwhile. This is evidenced by what has been going on with the internet in Thailand the last 3 months plus. And you can find many witnesses to one service working while another does not.

Some years ago I had iPSTAR satellite internet. I paid a lot for the service. It worked well for quite some time. I did use dial up when it would go down. At one point, and all of a sudden, the speed went to unserviceable and it was from spreading the bandwidth among too many new customers.

My point is a backup is cheap enough if a person gets something for just backup. I pay about 200 - 300 baht per year for dial up. If I never use it is not problem and I get an email address with it.

MSPain

Air card is paid by a top up card. Wireless is billed to your house. If you go wireless you need a work permit,

marriage or retirement visa, passport and cert.of residence or house book.

Thank you for that explanation. That makes sense to me.

By the way, I am using my aircard/AIS now. I have not lost service today, however, it has been sporadic regarding consistency today. It seems to me it has to do with everything that has been going on with the internet.

MSPain