O-a Long Stay Arrival

I don't know about other countries but most banks in the USA offer notary service free to customers. But also note Consulate sites also say Notary signature must be signed as true by "Secretary of State" so that would mean another step to international legalization and not sure of those fees.

For importation with O-A believe you are free to go. With O visa you must first obtain extension of stay for free entry.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still believe extending an O visa in Thailand is the easiest way to go. No major medical, no police clearance, and no notarization of the triplicate application. That notarization requires the services of a high priced notary public.

Doc,

I would agree -- if, in fact, notarization is required. But what I've been hearing here is that the honorary Consulates, at least in the States, realize that 'notarization' as defined in the States is not practical and so don't require it. And I can find some quack to sign off that I don't have elephantitis -- and the local sheriff is a pussycat. Then, I just mail it in.

But, I realize one size doesn't fit all -- and I'm not really sure how this notarization thing works in other countries (RDN, ain't you a Limey? :o )

(And I'm still confused about how an O-A vs. extending an O in Thailand might aid my household shipment to Thailand, as regards duties(?))

You are right ... one size doesn't fit all. That notorization is what MFA require, but perhaps blinkers are used in some circumstances T i T :D As soon as an O is extended in Thailand your goods are out of the grasp of Customs. With an O-A you are exempt as soon as you get the 12 month stamp when you arrive in Bkk

I believe "shotover" had been here a year on an O-A multiple entry visa and after it expired he purchased a multiple re-entry permit for 3800 baht.

-redwood

Actually, I purchased the O-A multiple entry 'Retirement' visa from the Thai consulate in Houston Texas in April 2004 at a total cost of 5700 baht ($126 USD, representing 1900 baht for the visa plus 3800 baht for the multiple entry privilege). No further transactions after initially arriving in Thailand on 26 Apr 2004.

I have left and reentered Thailand 5 times since my initial arrival date in Apr 2004, and each time the Thai Immigration Officer at Don Muang has stamped my passport a reentry date good for one year from the time of each arrival.

For example, I arrived in Bkk 2 Apr 2005 after a trip outside Thailand, and was given a stamp good for reentry up until 1 Apr 2006. According to a Thai Immigration official at the Suan Phlu office, I will not have to reapply for a visa extension until 1 Apr 2006, thus given me 2 years in Thailand for the original visa issued in Apr 2004. Not the result I expected when I first applied for the visa, but a pleasant one nonetheless.

I anticipate that when I leave Thailand later this month, and return in late May 2005, that I will not get a reentry date past 1 Apr 2006. Will report my experience.

Shot,I was hoping you'd post.As Jim Gant said earlier KK/HF had "thrown us a curve and had us thinking" we may have needed to get a reentry permit(even leaving/returning before the visa expiration date) though we indeed have Multi OA visas,there is no doubt whatsoever now (5 re-entries for you thus far without one) It just wouldnt have made any sense .

It is correct,however,that one will be required if leaving/returning AFTER the visa expiration date,but before the latest"admitted until" date. The experience of Jim's wife and of Redwood's (I again refer to his post dated June 24,2004,in which he ends the post by saying "I checked with immigration here in

Pattaya and they tell me this is correct" ) bear this out in no uncertain terms.

As far as the O vs OA thing goes.Ill say it yet again,I was told here in N.O. that a regular O was NOT an option......That said,(speaking of my own personal experience only) I didnt find getting the OA at all difficult.

One extra Xray at the Doc's office(TB screen) (medical form had already been faxed from Thai consulate), 5 bucks,10 minutes at the sheriff's HQ,45 minutes at the consulate,NO notaries needed at all,

and the multi OA was in my passport.

On top of all this,close to 2 yrs. possible before needing in country extension( with the correctly timed re-entries,of course) AND not having to put 400 to 800K baht in my Thai acct. till said extension time(I have pension also, remember)..... looking back,would Ive done it any other way?(even IF I could have)?

Absolutely NO WAY! Thanx again Stephanie!

Have a safe flight.

If you hve the energy and the time at NRT I would suggest going to the Narita temple where the cherry trees are in full bloom a real treat

Have a safe flight

I would, but my GF can't get a shore pass for Japan. :o

See the very bottom of this page:

Narita Layover Page

So, instead, we're sitting in the Northwest World Club as I write....

Arrive in BKK midnight tonight and on to Korat April 6th.

Harp: US Gov would have paid CO to Manila, but all onward flights to BKK are non-US....

Edited by mgnewman

Have a safe flight.

If you hve the energy and the time at NRT I would suggest going to the Narita temple where the cherry trees are in full bloom a real treat

Have a safe flight

I would, but my GF can't get a shore pass for Japan. :o

See the very bottom of this page:

Narita Layover Page

So, instead, we're sitting in the Northwest World Club as I write....

Arrive in BKK midnight tonight and on to Korat April 6th.

Harp: US Gov would have paid CO to Manila, but all onward flights to BKK are non-US....

Do you mean your Nagoya - Narita flight is international, I suppose it is a transit stop at Nagoya ?

SOrry about the shorepass they should allow as you already heave a boarding pass...

Have a safe trip (you lucky you....

Do you mean your Nagoya - Narita flight is international, I suppose it is a transit stop at Nagoya ?

SOrry about the shorepass they should allow as you already heave a boarding pass...

Have a safe trip (you lucky you....

The government is paying my way from Saipan to Bangkok as part of my repatriation. Since this is cheaper than actually returning me to the States, they will do it. But, I must fly a US carrier if one is available. I couldn't do the shorter Saipan/Manila/Bangkok route because no US carrier flies Manila/Bangkok. So, I'm stuck with Northwest going Saipan/Nagoya/Narita/Bangkok for an 18 hour trip duration.

But, I'm not minding the five hours here at the Northwest World Club at Narita. After all, the Gin and Tonics are free!

:o

Shotover,

From the info you provided, your Multiple Entry NonImm O-A expires this month (i.e., one year from its issue date, which is standard procedure for Multiple Entry visas) So, even if you have a stamp in your passport saying you're admitted until April 1, 2006, if you leave and try to re-enter, you're probably going to hit a brick wall and get a 30-day stamp (and the 4/1/06 stamp cancelled). And how you unravel things from there, I don't know, since you can't (supposedly) apply for an extension of stay with only a 30-day entry permit.

So it would seem you need to get a re-entry stamp from Immigration before your next travel -- since you will no longer have re-entry permission once your O-A visa expires.

(Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, and you have gotten a reentry permit from Immigration. But given the above quote, it sounds like you might be confusing the 'admitted until 1 April 2006' as a 'reentry' stamp(?).)

I may well be confusing the 'admitted until 1 April 2006' as a 'reentry' stamp' as I didn't realize there was a difference. I received the 'admitted until' stamps at Don Muang airport whenerver I reentered Thailand after an overseas trip.

When I went to Thai Immigration at Suan Phlu last month to inquire about the need to extend my O-A visa, 2 different officials told me the current stamps in my passport would allow me reenter Thailand through the date of my latest 'admitted until' date, and that I would not need to apply for a visa extension until a couple of weeks before my latest admitted until date stamp.

So, should I revisit Thai Immigration at Suan Phlu and ask for a 'reentry' stamp to ensure they don't cancel my latest 'admitted until' stamp, and only give me 30 days?

Hope I'm not confusing others more than I am myself. :o

So, should I revisit Thai Immigration at Suan Phlu and ask for a 'reentry' stamp to ensure they don't cancel my latest 'admitted until' stamp, and only give me 30 days?

I sure would. As RDN says, these O-As are still relatively rare and subject to confusion at Immigration (and on this forum as well). And the Suan Phlu folks maybe didn't realize your multiple-entry visa expired before your last 'admitted until' date. (But they are right that you shouldn't need to apply for an extension of stay until a few weeks before 4/1/06 -- unless you leave Thailand without a valid re-entry permit.)

I really can't imagine that an 'admitted until' stamp would take on some kind of new multiple entry meaning just because there's a "NonImm OA" scrawled at the top. When you leave Thailand, you get a triangular 'departed' stamp that, in effect, cancels the 'admitted until' stamp. I'm talking all categories, not just O-As. Then, when you reenter Thailand, you get a new 'admitted until' stamp based on either a valid visa, a 30-day "no visa required", or a nice big square "re-entry permit" with a "valid until" date that you've gotten from Immigration. In fact , when you fill out your entry documentation prior to arrival into Thailand, the number on your "re-entry permit" is what's used. I doubt Immigration even looks for a still valid 'admitted until' stamp (or the equivalent if you're on an 'extended stay' stamp.) But what they do is give you a new 'admitted until' stamp that expires based on the visa type (60 or 90 days); 30 days if no visa; or in lock-step with your 're-entry permit' valid until date.

So, if you leave Thailand and return with an expired visa -- and no 're-entry permit' from Immigration -- you then have neither a valid visa number, nor a 're-entry permit' number to present to Immigration. Result? Admitted for 30 days.

Anyway, that's my take on all of this. I'd much rather pay 3800 baht (or 1000 for single) for a re-entry permit for the peace-of-mind I'll get from not finding out that Don Muang Immigration and Suan Phlu are reading from different scripts.

After all, the Gin and Tonics are free!

Nice picture, Mike. Obviously, you've finished their gin by the time this picture was taken -- or you opted for rusty tonic water. :o

(oops, you beat me to it, Doc)

Edited by JimGant

After all, the Gin and Tonics are free!

Nice picture, Mike. Obviously, you've finished their gin by the time this picture was taken -- or you opted for rusty tonic water. :D

(oops, you beat me to it, Doc)

After several hours in the air and hanging loose in the flasho lounge for hours and hours, he probably has no idea. :o

Well, I always have at least one beer out of the funny beer dispensing machine they have there....

In any event, arrival at Don Muang was uneventful. Immigration Office glanced at my visa, made a computer entry, adjusted her stamp for one year hence and now I'm in until 05 April 2006.

Customs was also easy. Took our way overloaded cart through the "Nothing to Declare Line" and hardly garnered a glance.

We're at the Rembrandt in Bangkok today. Off to Korat after a little breakfast....

I sure would. As RDN says, these O-As are still relatively rare and subject to confusion at Immigration (and on this forum as well). And the Suan Phlu folks maybe didn't realize your multiple-entry visa expired before your last 'admitted until' date. (But they are right that you shouldn't need to apply for an extension of stay until a few weeks before 4/1/06 -- unless you leave Thailand without a valid re-entry permit.)

I really can't imagine that an 'admitted until' stamp would take on some kind of new multiple entry meaning just because there's a "NonImm OA" scrawled at the top. When you leave Thailand, you get a triangular 'departed' stamp that, in effect, cancels the 'admitted until' stamp. I'm talking all categories, not just O-As. Then, when you reenter Thailand, you get a new 'admitted until' stamp based on either a valid visa, a 30-day "no visa required", or a nice big square "re-entry permit" with a "valid until" date that you've gotten from Immigration. In fact , when you fill out your entry documentation prior to arrival into Thailand, the number on your "re-entry permit" is what's used. I doubt Immigration even looks for a still valid 'admitted until' stamp (or the equivalent if you're on an 'extended stay' stamp.) But what they do is give you a new 'admitted until' stamp that expires based on the visa type (60 or 90 days); 30 days if no visa; or in lock-step with your 're-entry permit' valid until date.

So, if you leave Thailand and return with an expired visa -- and no 're-entry permit' from Immigration -- you then have neither a valid visa number, nor a 're-entry permit' number to present to Immigration. Result? Admitted for 30 days.

Anyway, that's my take on all of this. I'd much rather pay 3800 baht (or 1000 for single) for a re-entry permit for the peace-of-mind I'll get from not finding out that Don Muang Immigration and Suan Phlu are reading from different scripts.

Shot,Jim is correct.the multi entry

feature of the OA visa expires along with the visa,365 days from date of issue. Getting the re-entry permit now protects your last "admitted until date" since its now later than the OA expiration date. In fact,Jim,

my previously mentioned printout of Redwood explaining that Pattaya Imm. told him this is correct is in response to you asking this very question......