True High Speed Access?

markuk

The ADSL page is the old system before they cut the price and upgraded most people to what they now call Hi-Speed Internet. Go to one of the True outlets and you should be able to get current information (although it may also only be in Thai but usually with enough charts to make it legible). Guess they can't call it a sale if they don't keep the old information on the site. :o

The ADSL page is the old system before they cut the price and upgraded most people to what they now call Hi-Speed Internet.  Go to one of the True outlets and you should be able to get current information (although it may also only be in Thai but usually with enough charts to make it legible).  Guess they can't call it a sale if they don't keep the old information on the site. :o

That makes sence - cheers for that!!

Will add that they have said this was a limited time offer so it may end at the end of this month (as do not see it in any of the new promotions) so if interested you might want to sign up in next couple of days. Am sure the other providers will put price back up if they do not have to compete.

I thought that last time Lopburi. Rushed in to get the old promotion.... 10 days later they started giving away the modem free (that I paid 2000 baht for)

I hear that in the second quarter they are starting a new service with 'new' technology. Currently you sign up for a minimum of 1 year, so anyone new might find themselves feeling hard done to.

I am also looking at signing up for a True Hi-Speed package, and was considering the 2560/512 Kbps option.

As mentioned above the packages do currently come with a free modem worth about THB 1,800 (special offer until 30 June 2005). However, I recall reading somewhere on this forum that if you upgrade to a "router" rather than a USB modem, then there are added benefits such as better connection or a built-in firewall.

To be honest I am not 100% sure of the difference between a modem and a router, and would appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me and advise if there is any benefit from upgrading for the average home user?

Thanks

Rags

Well a modem is what will allow you to connect to ADSL.. In truth a pure 'router' is simply a device that allows many computers to link together and share a common upstream connection...

That said you are looking a a Modem and router in one device rather than a plain router.. So it will allow you to connect to ADSL and share that connection among how ever many ports the router has..

I guess there is also the possibility that the cheap modem is USB only which has many drawbacks over an ADSL modem that offers an ethernet connection.

Thanks LivinLoS.

The info I have received from True, suggests that they provide one of the following ethernet self installation modems (USB?) with LAN card free of charge:

ASKEY-Ale070

ZYXEL-Prestige 630

BILLION-Bipac 7000

If a USB modem is not the best way to go, is it worth paying extra to get an ADSL modem/router considering I am only connecting to one PC? If so any recommendations?

It has come to my knowledge that lots of experienced users advise against using USB modems because doing that way slows the PC, and they advise to go for Ethernet modems instead.

If you intend to connect one single PC to the Internet, I do not see the need for you to acquire a router. A simple modem will just do. And if, in the future, you wish to connect additional PCs to the Internet by sharing your Internet connection, you will always be able to acquire a router later.

You should look at the latest package offered by TRUE (since March 15th): this time, it comes with a free Ethernet modem (HUAWEI SmartAX MT800). Previously, the modem included in the package was a USB modem (ZYXEL, I think). I subscribed to TRUE HiSpeed ADSL service (with the HUAWEI modem) just a week ago and I have been using the service since then.

Edited by TVLover

Good advice TVLover.

the USB modem is fine for normal use. You will not see any preformance advantage with a router. Nor on a modern computer is there any issue with it slowing things down. And the USB modem is free.

A router is much, much harder to set up, especially if you want to use file sharing such as bit torrent, or join our hub. Also some internet-to-phone services are harder to use with a router because you will have to 'forward ports', a techy job. (Vonage internet-to-phone however requires a router). Though many here will say it is not hard to set up, for a beginner, or someone not too keen on tinckering with computers, it is much more difficult.

My advice is, unless you want to use a network of several computers all connected individually to the internet, stick with the usb modem as it is easier and there is no performance difference. I am a heavy internet user and find the free Billion modem is great.

Difference with a modem and router.... for the most part modern routers include a built in modem. They will dial the internet and supply name and password, and then relay the internet connection to your various computers. You can turn off any computer and the others will still work.

For a modem, your computer must be on to dial the internet and supply the name and password, and it is not very efficient if you want to then supply an internet connection to other computers at your home.

Quote Pandit 35

"I hear that in the second quarter they are starting a new service with 'new' technology. Currently you sign up for a minimum of 1 year, so anyone new might find themselves feeling hard done to."

True started advertising the new service in the Bangkok Post today. Service is called VDSL and is aimed at business's rather than home users. Costs start at B 5,400/month and allows upto 8 Fixed Global IP addresses. Speeds between 6Mbps - 10Mbps upstream and downstream.

Good for companies who cannot afford the B100,000+/month for a Leased line