Highhopes To Be Asia's International Education Hub

webfact

Completely irrelevant to the subject in hand.

Your assumptions that Thailand is not open to "the International language of Economy and trade" is also wrong.

The Topic is Hub, and my opinion is there is a major hurdle to achieve that.

how rude of you... answer the question,,, how can a country be HUB, which is the Topic, when they don't even know what a hub is!?

If they are 'interested' in keeping up with the rest of Asia and Europe, they sure have a funny way of not showing it.

Thailand is too far behind in English literacy to make a run at being a World hub in Education, but maybe that is a good thing.

Instead of insults, why can't you keep to the Topic?

I totally disagree with you that Thailand has a chance to be an Educational hub, and would I repsect your evidence, if you supply any.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Topic is Hub"

No its not. The topic is about international education in Thailand.

The suggestion that English literacy rates in Thailand affect the level of International Schools and Programs is ridiculous. Virtually all of the teachers and professors at the places we are talking about (many of whom are from English speaking countries), have better English than you. Yet again, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that you have absolutely no experience in any of the above mentioned schools or international programs, If you had, you wouldn't make such silly and off topic comments.

END of story.

These reminds me of a song.....

Lyrics:

"Oh I wish Dallas was in Tensesse"

The calibre of people that send their children off for a better education does not "bargain shop" education.

Geez, Thailand thinks the rest of the world enjoys fea markets.... well, that is not the case, shocking as it may be.

Madjbs, you may be a diamond, but you are stuck in a pile of dung, and the rest of the world know this....

To venture another post on the topic itself:

There are MANY very high-quality Thai students. That, I agree. There are MANY very high-quality Thai university professors- that, I also agree. There are probably even a FEW high-quality Thai university professors who can teach at the UNIVERSITY LEVEL in ENGLISH to FOREIGN STUDENTS- that would be only natural. Whether there are **MANY** very high quality Thai professors who can teach at the UNIVERSITY LEVEL in ENGLISH to FOREIGN STUDENTS, I very much doubt.

From what I know about Mahidol, their International College (or whatever it's called) is staffed by foreigners. Abac also has a lot of non-Thai lecturers, though I can't say anything about their quality if judged by international level.

Fact is - people DO come to study in Thailand, no matter how many reasons posters here give that it's impossible.

Whether there are **MANY** very high quality Thai professors who can teach at the UNIVERSITY LEVEL in ENGLISH to FOREIGN STUDENTS, I very much doubt.

I personally know a couple of dozen from various unis who I would qualify as very good. I know even more who I would qualify as average, but, that would be the same anywhere. All depends how many is "MANY". Right now there are sufficient numbers to cater for the current size of the good international programs.

Further flames from any side of the argument will earn warnings and possibly get this thread closed.

I agree with PB that the topic is FOREIGN UNIVERSITY STUDENTS at THAI UNIVERSITIES.

The title of this thread is 'International education HUB' , I want nothing to do with this debate , but that is what it reads to me , be dramatic , be adamant , but re-read the header .

I teach in an international program at a major Thai university and a good friend teaches at another international program in the same university.

Both International programs are absolute crap quality. They were created for the financial windfall and not with quality education in mind.

Foreign students at our university readily admit they come here simply to get a degree at a cheap price, and most would like to work in Thailand, realizing their degrees are worth next to nothing back home.

Another one of my friends graduated with his bachelor's degree from an international program in one of Thailand's top universities. When he went to Sidney, Australia for his masters, they required him to repeat his bachelor's degree in Australia first, not recognizing the Thai degree. Pretty glum news.

Another one of my friends graduated with his bachelor's degree from an international program in one of Thailand's top universities. When he went to Sidney, Australia for his masters, they required him to repeat his bachelor's degree in Australia first, not recognizing the Thai degree. Pretty glum news.

Your friend must have either been very unlucky or he didn't actually "graduate" from a "top" university.

Students from the top unis (Chula, Thammasat etc..) get accepted into top ivy league unis in the USA and the UK for masters and Phds without a problem. Just last year I know people who got accepted into Stanford, Princeton, LSE and Warwick.

Is it possible that your friend never actually graduated, but, tried to transfer all his credits to a uni in Australia part way through his course?

Edited by madjbs

There are MANY very high-quality Thai students. That, I agree. There are MANY very high-quality Thai university professors- that, I also agree. There are probably even a FEW high-quality Thai university professors who can teach at the UNIVERSITY LEVEL in ENGLISH to FOREIGN STUDENTS- that would be only natural. Whether there are **MANY** very high quality Thai professors who can teach at the UNIVERSITY LEVEL in ENGLISH to FOREIGN STUDENTS, I very much doubt.

You bast#**&%#! After all this time you're still after me! :D

In the last few years I've seen really good students come out of the top Bkk 'English Language' schools into my uni. I don't think this is high and wide, but the good high-schools are good.

These students have probably been a little upset by the 'average foreign lecturer' at university. :D I reckon that one in four foreign lecturers are good, one in four is okay, and half are below par... My experience of Thai lecturers is that they're better than the foreign equivilents, but then again I work at 2 of the top 10 unis, and see the best Thai teachers (and they are good).

So, the average Thai high-school is exceptionally poor. A few Bkk high-schools are of an international standard.

The average Thai uni is very poor (but well above the high-school level). Some Thai unis are upto international standard (certainly less than 10, probably less than 5).

The Thai education system is shockingly bad - especially the high-schools (I don't blame the teachers for this problem). They cannot educate 90% of their Thai 'customers' to an 'acceptable' level.

Can the Thai educational system become an international / Asian hub? For cheap education, maybe. But, their time would be better spent worrying about the 90% of poorly educated Thais...

I'll end with this pearl of wisdom: Thai lecturers send their childred abroad to study. Why? You make a guess... :)

Edit to add, before IJWT bans me, again: I basically agree with his post.

Edited by jasreeve17

I teach in an international program at a major Thai university and a good friend teaches at another international program in the same university.

Both International programs are absolute crap quality. They were created for the financial windfall and not with quality education in mind.

Yes there are many complete rubbish programs such as those at low quality unis. As your location says you are in central isaan, I am guessing that these international programs are being offered at such a place. Please don't assume that your experience would be the same at the more respected and well known programs Thailand has to offer, at the top unis.

You bast#**&%#! After all this time you're still after me! :D

In the last few years I've seen really good students come out of the top Bkk 'English Language' schools into my uni. I don't think this is high and wide, but the good high-schools are good.

These students have probably been a little upset by the 'average foreign lecturer' at university. :D I reckon that one in four foreign lecturers are good, one in four is okay, and half are below par... My experience of Thai lecturers is that they're better than the foreign equivilents, but then again I work at 2 of the top 10 unis, and see the best Thai teachers (and they are good).

So, the average Thai high-school is exceptionally poor. A few Bkk high-schools are of an international standard.

The average Thai uni is very poor (but well above the high-school level). Some Thai unis are upto international standard (certainly less than 10, probably less than 5).

The Thai education system is shockingly bad - especially the high-schools (I don't blame the teachers for this problem). They cannot educate 90% of their Thai 'customers' to an 'acceptable' level.

Can the Thai educational system become an international / Asian hub? For cheap education, maybe. But, their time would be better spent worrying about the 90% of poorly educated Thais...

I'll end with this pearl of wisdom: Thai lecturers send their childred abroad to study. Why? You make a guess... :)

Edit to add, before IJWT bans me, again: I basically agree with his post.

It's true, it's true, I'm still a-gunnin' for you (even though something like 7 other mods have gotten to you since!!! :D)

Thanks for agreeing with me anyway!

Whether there are **MANY** very high quality Thai professors who can teach at the UNIVERSITY LEVEL in ENGLISH to FOREIGN STUDENTS, I very much doubt.

I personally know a couple of dozen from various unis who I would qualify as very good. I know even more who I would qualify as average, but, that would be the same anywhere. All depends how many is "MANY". Right now there are sufficient numbers to cater for the current size of the good international programs.

Well, that's certainly true. But 100,000 students is a LOT of students...... assuming 10 classes a week (which is a lot of classes for a university professor) of 30 students each, with some overlap, let's say 3 profs per 100 students- times 1000- are there 3000 Thai professors who can teach their subjects in English, even at a minimally acceptable level? I mean, as long as we're getting real....

I agree with you that those who are simply bashing Thai education are wrong (and you should probably ignore them)- but the numbers simply don't add up.

"The Topic is Hub"

No its not. The topic is about international education in Thailand.

The suggestion that English literacy rates in Thailand affect the level of International Schools and Programs is ridiculous. Virtually all of the teachers and professors at the places we are talking about (many of whom are from English speaking countries), have better English than you. Yet again, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that you have absolutely no experience in any of the above mentioned schools or international programs, If you had, you wouldn't make such silly and off topic comments.

END of story.

Did you also bother inform the author of the Article that their Title was Off Topic ???

"""Highhopes to be Asia's international education hub"""

that from the START of the story! very misleading eh?

-------------------------

The increased enrollments used in the Article, which ARE part of this Topic, could very well include many 'students' who have found that it is an 'end round' for getting a one year visa in Thailand. This tactic is openly suggested in TV. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the increased numbers, quoted in the Article, were from this factor.

I'm not going to Post all the Threads discussing this tactic as you are smart enough to use the search button.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I will not call you stupid, as you did me, but it's patently ridiculous, as 98% of the Posters have pointed out, that Thailand will, not in the near future become the Hub of Asia's international education.

Others have noted and I agree it is somewhat distasteful, as mentioned in the Article, that the road to this goal will be pushed along because the cost is cheap. [good planning, eh?]

Maybe it would be, overall, better for Thailand to remain an attractive side eddy!?

If they do, however, want to be a hub for anything, the low rates of English literacy would have to be improved, in my opinion.

-----------

By the way, it is not my intention to 'bash' Thailand and have spoken out against it. I just find the Title for sure, and much of the Article to be 'unrealistic'.

I would LOVE to see an adoption of the practise of many other non English speaking countries; that of English as the main language in schools. I happen to think it is imperative for Thailand if they want to keep up with the Global economy.

Edited by eggomaniac

Foreign students at our university readily admit they come here simply to get a degree at a cheap price, and most would like to work in Thailand, realizing their degrees are worth next to nothing back home...

Did the enrollment of foreign students at your uni grow over the past few years?

If it did, then it probably doesn't matter why they come, they still want something out of your "crap" programs.

If your uni didn't see increase in foreign students numbers - you are doing something wrong and should probably ask for govt assistance in line with this new policy.

Further flames from any side of the argument will earn warnings and possibly get this thread closed.

I agree with PB that the topic is FOREIGN UNIVERSITY STUDENTS at THAI UNIVERSITIES.

As Dumball says, The title of this thread is 'International education HUB' , I want nothing to do with this debate , but that is what it reads to me , be dramatic , be adamant , but re-read the header .

I agree. The title of this topic appears at the top of the screen. I also am not contributing to what should have been allowed to be a sensible debate. But how can you when it is highjacked. Disgraceful.

Just to note, the 2009 World University Rankings were just released this week. Two Thai universities in the top 400. Not enough, but people at those 2 schools should be proud (I know I am).

Chulalongkorn University - 138 (up from 166 in 2008)

Mahidol University - 220 (up from 251 in 2008)

Foreign students at our university readily admit they come here simply to get a degree at a cheap price, and most would like to work in Thailand, realizing their degrees are worth next to nothing back home...

Did the enrollment of foreign students at your uni grow over the past few years?

If it did, then it probably doesn't matter why they come, they still want something out of your "crap" programs.

If your uni didn't see increase in foreign students numbers - you are doing something wrong and should probably ask for govt assistance in line with this new policy.

Yes, it's grown 300% in 3 years. From 1 to 3 students. Just kidding. The program has grown from about 150 to 500 students in that time. Mostly from southern China, with a few from Laos (10), Japan (4), Cambodia (24), and USA (2). The school is pulling out all the stops on promotion, and has signed several MOU's with foreign universities and colleges.

Yes, it's grown 300% in 3 years. From 1 to 3 students. Just kidding. The program has grown from about 150 to 500 students in that time. Mostly from southern China, with a few from Laos (10), Japan (4), Cambodia (24), and USA (2). The school is pulling out all the stops on promotion, and has signed several MOU's with foreign universities and colleges.

Do you think they should stop and send everyone back home? Or that they have no chance of attracting any more students?

Does your program face competition from Vietnam or Malaysia in attracting those students?

In regards to the very first sentence in the OP --- about Thailand's high hopes to become the Asian hub for international education...

on the above mentioned TOPIC, how does one say ROFL in Japanese?

Japan is the only country in Asia with universities ranked in the top 100, [5 or 6].

http://www.arwu.org/rank/2004/top500(1-100).htm

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?cx...com=search#1249

Really, what per cent of the OP's statistics are boosted by end runners getting their one year holiday visas? << Can you say, hub?

Edited by eggomaniac

Students from the top unis (Chula, Thammasat etc..) get accepted into top ivy league unis in the USA and the UK for masters and Phds without a problem. Just last year I know people who got accepted into Stanford, Princeton, LSE and Warwick.

Do you have their names and addresses ? And which disciplines ? Please.

Mjdjbs protesteth too much. :)

Why, you don't believe me?

Mjdjbs protesteth too much. :)

Yes, when people lie and spread around misinformation, it generally annoys me greatly.

Of course Thai students get accepted to study at such Universities, to think that they don't is nonsense. Whilst I don't think that the Thai education system is particularly hot across the board, there are some good Universities here in Thailand, and are subsequently ranked in the top 400 in the world. There are of course some highly intelligent Thai students as well, so really people shouldn't be tarring all with the same brush.

Is it possible that your friend never actually graduated, but, tried to transfer all his credits to a uni in Australia part way through his course?

Good try, but no. :)

So, either he graduated with a very low GPA, or, he didn't graduate from a "top" uni at all, but perhaps from somewhere such as Bangkok Uni or Ramkhamhaeng.

Which one is it?