Dara Academy

nicolasarcade

Hi I'd like to have some information on Dara Academy. I am planing to send my daughters there after Kindergarten (they are 4 and 2 years old and are now going at Varee Kindergarten and nursery and I'm not sure if I want them to continue at Varee). I like the fact that Dara is well established...but how is the education in general, is the English program good there? (I can not afford an International School and rather save some money for private English lessons at British Council or somewhere else) Are there better schools in that range of fees price. I know there were postings on this subject already but most of them are a few years old. I'd be grateful to have your opinions. Thank you.

My Thai wife and I with our 14 year old daughter, moved from London to Chiang Mai in May 2003.

At the time I researched many International schools here in Chiang Mai and concluded in sending our daughter to Darra.

My main reason for choosing Darra was that the education is based on the British format.

As for fees, although still expensive, proved lower than most other International schools in Chiang Mai. For example over 50% cheaper than the American Pacific International school.

My daughter studied there for 4 years and received a first class education. In fact the standards are so high that it took my daughter a full year to catch up with other students because her schooling back in the UK was well below par to the standard requirements of Darra.

At age 17 & 18 my daughter passed all her IGCSEs, receiving As & Bs, never below that level. At first these costing 3000 baht for each IGCSE taken, whether she passed or not, than becoming free later on. Unfortunately at the time Darra did not participate in A levels, but now I am told these are available and can be taken at the school.

The school fees were approx 153000 baht per year. The premises it`s self are very basic, but the education received is of high grade.

Fees can be paid every 6 months or they give a 5% discount if fees are paid 1 year in advance. On 1 year I had a problem with the Thai lady school owner and manageress, who told me that because of a staff error I would not be receiving 5% discount. After a slanging match between her & I, and standing my ground I was discounted 5%. They don`t advertise the 5% scheme, but it`s worth a mention.

There is a school bus available for collecting students from home to the school and vice versa, but this bus service will only take children on the specified routes. We lived in the wrong direction, so the bus option was not available to us. Cost of this service was 12000 baht per year, if you decide to use it.

My daughter graduated from Lanna 2 years ago, so this information is 2 years old.

Edited by sassienie

Sorry Sassienie, I think you might have mixed up Lanna International School and Dara Academy.

My son's been to both and the only problems with Dara were large class sizes (hence insufficient attention to individual students) and lack of English-language practice. Though he did marvel at the end of the first week after he transferred from there to Lanna that "they give us choices!" and "it's much more fun".

CMMCB

I am also considering school options for my daughter who is 2 and a half now. Any updated info on Dara or other international school options would help any decision. We haven't visited any schools yet but from what info I have gathered over the last few months Lanna and American Pacific seem probable options.

My daughter is currently attending the pre school at the new ABS, she is getting on well and really enjoying her time there but I don't think I will be keeping her there after kindergarten, I would feel more comfortable sending her to a school with a proven track record.

Tons of topics already discussing Dara and similar schools. Check out the search bar near the bottom that says "enter key words"

Mods: I thought we were going to turn a sticky out of all of this info :) (No sarcasm meant by this posting.)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Varee-Chiang...ol-t296580.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Education-Sa...ge-t302692.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/List-Mai-Pri...ns-t301524.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Education-Da...my-t302999.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bilingual-School-t235878.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Recommend-Varee-t167960.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Recommend-Varee-t167960.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Internationa...-C-t204533.html

My honest opinion is that I would not send my children to any non international school.

Schools like Dara, Varee, Montfort, Prince, Sacred, Wichai, Sarasas, etc are what I would call private schools and have an English program.

True international schools Like Lanna, American pacific, CM International, Prem, Grace, and a few others I am forgetting, like the German one, are the best bet to match a western level education.

Now it goes without saying that some people can't afford these schools and the others are a much better choice than the local Gov't schools. On top of that many successful people have come out of schools like Dara, Prince, etc and have gone on to western universities.

Making one coherent thread is doable when we can.

I feel sorry/pity those who must remain in Thailand and must put their kids through.non-international schools.

I'll see if I have some free time to scour the threads to make something concise.

One of the main reasons I left Thailand was due to this. Sure I had a BA, (in Family pysch) But that wasn't going to get me the money needed. So now I am back in the US and going for Bio Education. This new degree plus some time teaching in the US will open a lot more doors in Thailand. I also plan on going further, would be quite nice to make dollars/pounds/euros while working in Thailand.

The only downfall is the time away from Chiang Mai, but in the long run it is going to be worth it and I won't be fretting over money or what quality of education I can afford.

I feel sorry/pity those who must remain in Thailand and must put their kids through.non-international schools.

Why do you keep repeating this? It's not a given that kids become brain boxes through attending international schools. One can also evolve into a non-entity with a screwed up mind even through high-class education.

I'd take Dara, or one of the other privates, any day for my kid(s) over a UK state school.

Why do you keep repeating this? It's not a given that kids become brain boxes through attending international schools. One can also evolve into a non-entity with a screwed up mind even through high-class education.

I'd take Dara, or one of the other privates, any day for my kid(s) over a UK state school.

Agreed! Add most Australian government schools to that too...

I've never been to State schools in Australia or UK; graduated from a top 10 secondary 'state' school in the US. i suspect that's off-topic.

I taught in the best State schools in Lanna, and tutored students attending APIS, Grace, Lanna, etc. The international schools in northern Thailand are head and shoulders above the best State schools here. Maybe the private Thai schools here are brilliant and run by clever Thai educators who renounced or escaped this culture of stupid educational methods and returned to save the Kingdom, and have been allowed to run them. But I doubt it.

Of course, this is just my opinion based on years of experience on the ground here. My measly anecdotes may be wrong.

I've never been to State schools in Australia or UK; graduated from a top 10 secondary 'state' school in the US. i suspect that's off-topic.

And where are you now?

The thing is PB, you're coming across as condescending. I'd say the majority couldn't afford the international route - unless perhaps they're ancient and have a great pension, had a large inheritance, or work for a multinational - so the only real alternative to not remaining in Thailand and going this route is to go home and use a state school. I'd send my kid to Prem without hesitation if I had the means, which would probably be followed by a good UK boarding school. It is a pity we all can't afford the best schools, but I wouldn't get all high and mighty and pity somebody because they can't. That would just make me look silly now wouldn't it.

In the UK you would need to attend a University to graduate.

I suspect a university degree is required in Thailand for the majority of good jobs.

So whilst your 'state' school education may have qualified you to be a teacher in what you describe as the best state schools here, though well below the international schools, I think it is hardly relevant.

Iain

I suspect a university degree is required in Thailand for the majority of good jobs.

So whilst your 'state' school education may have qualified you to be a teacher in what you describe as the best state schools here, though well below the international schools, I think it is hardly relevant.

Iain

lainiain, state secondary schools outside Thailand are irrelevant. "Graduate" in American English includes secondary completion; I didn't mean to confuse. I attended countless tertiary colleges, unis and community colleges before earning a BA from a third-rate liberal arts uni in Texas :) How's that for coming down off a high horse? :D

jackr, I was condescending; I apologize. Two of my worst students went to Prem.

I'd send my kid to Prem without hesitation if I had the means, which would probably be followed by a good UK boarding school. It is a pity we all can't afford the best schools.....

I sent my son to the equivalent of Prem as well as a good Prep School and a well run Montessori Nursery (I know it was well run because my ex-wife ran it!) and I think it's important to acknowledge that price, statistics, results and even reputation don't necessarily make for a "successful" outcome. Of course, many of us will have a different definition of successful in this context. I would now (but maybe didn't back then) regard a happy, broadly educated school leaver with Christian(ish) values, an inquiring mind and sufficient self confidence to face life at university as an unqualified success. On the other hand, I know people who place a prestigious career or the highest grades at the top of their list and never tire of letting their kids know what's expected of them.

I strongly believe that attentive parents, a stable home environment and daily routine that doesn't involve two hour commutes to "the best" school are amongst the most important contributions you can make to getting a child off on a good footing. Don't fret if you can't afford what people tell you is "the best" school - everyone's mileage varies and the parents who think they can buy their way out of problems or abdicate their role in favour of an expensive boarding school generally find out the mistakes they made way too late.

Iain

lainiain, state secondary schools outside Thailand are irrelevant. "Graduate" in American English includes secondary completion; I didn't mean to confuse. I attended countless tertiary colleges, unis and community colleges before earning a BA from a third-rate liberal arts uni in Texas :) How's that for coming down off a high horse? :D

Glad you apologised PB I was starting to get riled by your posts as well, I met you once and thought you were a nice guy glad there isn't a Mr Hyde side to you :D

I'd send my kid to Prem without hesitation if I had the means, which would probably be followed by a good UK boarding school. It is a pity we all can't afford the best schools.....

I strongly believe that attentive parents, a stable home environment and daily routine that doesn't involve two hour commutes to "the best" school are amongst the most important contributions you can make to getting a child off on a good footing. Don't fret if you can't afford what people tell you is "the best" school - everyone's mileage varies and the parents who think they can buy their way out of problems or abdicate their role in favour of an expensive boarding school generally find out the mistakes they made way too late.

thank you :)

I sent my son to the equivalent of Prem as well as a good Prep School and a well run Montessori Nursery (I know it was well run because my ex-wife ran it!) and I think it's important to acknowledge that price, statistics, results and even reputation don't necessarily make for a "successful" outcome. Of course, many of us will have a different definition of successful in this context. I would now (but maybe didn't back then) regard a happy, broadly educated school leaver with Christian(ish) values, an inquiring mind and sufficient self confidence to face life at university as an unqualified success. On the other hand, I know people who place a prestigious career or the highest grades at the top of their list and never tire of letting their kids know what's expected of them.

I agree with most of this although have quoted me out of context... I was actually defending the private schools over PB's pity for those who can't afford the top nobs.

On the boarding school front, the decision for me certainly wouldn't be based on any abdication of responsibility. Far from it; I can't even stand it when the little one is away for more than a couple days and would of course prefer he stay at home, although would forego those things over the attention and independency afforded him by a quality UK boarding school (they have really improved of late). This, of course, would also be his decision and certainly wouldn't be forced upon him. I'm also becoming of the mind that growing up in that age group away from Muang Thai wouldn't be a bad thing. Anyway, it's all academic right now as one doesn't quite have the means :)

I believe so too ! Thanks

I believe so too ! Thanks

I agree with all that also and because I do I don't think it matters which Intl. school one sends their child to. If they can't send their child to an Intl. school (or perhaps one of the experimental schools) in Thailand IMO a parent should do one of two things. Either make arrangements for their child to get an education outside the Kingdom or accept the fact that their child will receive a very substandard education as measured by most western criteria. If you've already decided for your child that all their future opportunities will be limited to Thailand then it probably doesn't matter too much which of the other schools you choose so long as you keep Greenside's important post in mind.

Iain

Glad you apologised PB I was starting to get riled by your posts as well, I met you once and thought you were a nice guy glad there isn't a Mr Hyde side to you :D

I just don't see that in his posts at all. His posts are often tongue-in-cheek but I don't feel they are condescending at all. I think they are often very witty.

Edited by Loaded