Netbook Or Laptop

colinp

I'm looking at buying 1 of the above but am not technologically savvy.

What's the difference between a netbook and laptop.

What I'm looking for is a small (priority) mobile device which I can connect to the internet while out and about, and use Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel etc.). I would also like to be able to download my pictures from my camera to it (not looking at editing the images).

Are netbooks much smaller than laptops?

Are you able to install software onto a netbook?

Thanks for your help.

(maybe should be posted in 'Mobile Devices' if so, mods feel free to move)

In my opinion, the netbook is suitable as an easy portable backup machine for, as you say, when you're out and about. If you have another primary computer then it is a good way to go. On the other hand, the small screen size makes it painful to use for long periods (unless your eyes are better than mine).

In my case, I have my regular desktop computer at work, a full-size laptop that I use when travelling upcountry or overseas and the netbook that I keep in my bag when I'm running around Bangkok for the day.

I'm looking at buying 1 of the above but am not technologically savvy.

What's the difference between a netbook and laptop.

What I'm looking for is a small (priority) mobile device which I can connect to the internet while out and about, and use Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel etc.). I would also like to be able to download my pictures from my camera to it (not looking at editing the images).

Are netbooks much smaller than laptops?

Are you able to install software onto a netbook?

Thanks for your help.

(maybe should be posted in 'Mobile Devices' if so, mods feel free to move)

It's mostly the size of the screen and the price. The processors in netbooks are generally slower too but if your just doing email, surfing the web, and using Office that won't matter much. But actually most netbooks these days are about as fast as business laptops were 5 years ago, which isn't so bad.

Hi ! I´m watching live programs from Sweden on my laptop;quality so and so..( TOT).Sometimes I go for a tour with my bicycle for a week or two and would like to bring a computer along. I bring my things in sadelbags;the kind you see the postman has,and I guess it is no good for a laptop,even if I try to shelter it. So what about a notebook;do you think it could receive the forementioned sorts of programs?

Yes it can easily cope with videos and streams from the internet. I watch streaming TV pretty much every night on mine, only thing is that the monitor is smaller, but then just move it closer to your eyes and it makes up for it :)