Jatropha Nuts

sokmeister

Here is something for any of y'all to chew on.....

okay, let say i was able to grow 300 ha of jatropha nuts purely for fuel use. Lets say i'm able to de-hull the nut from the meaty flesh and just have raw nuts ready to crush/expell and ship.

who would be interested in getting some these, or maybe just the oil after extraction?

I would like to hear what y'all have to input on this subject.

Thanks,

Sok

I watched a program on Thai TV (which I couldn't understand) where they showed jatropha being grown, harvested, and oil extracted. The amazing thing was that they were able to use the oil directly as a fuel for the diesel generator: out of the crusher, into the fuel tank, start the engine.

I would assume that modification had taken place to the engine.

I think jatropha is an amazing crop of the future.

By the fact that jatropha farming for biofuel is already taking place in Thai, I would assume that there is an established market/refinery already.

Part of the problem is the fruit containing the seed ripen at different times.

I did a local search here in Chiang Rai. I found a nice woman at the Ag Dept who gave a bunch of seed free! I planted about 1/2, so still have some seed left (about 200) though they probably don't still have a viable germination ratio. I'll send some seed for free to whomever requests (within Thailand).

The ones that sprouted, 4 months ago, are up to 6 ft tall. Their leaves look quite like grape leaves. I'm told they're a small tree, and can handle drought. Also, I don't think the diesel motor has to be modified, though it works best for large simple engines, and not as well for car motors, though it could probably work ok if mixed.

I saw a brochure which showed the seed being pressed for oil in a simple hand cranked press - something a handy person could make in his garage in an afternoon.

With seed planted trees, every tree is unique. It's possible you or I could get lucky and find we have a tree with exceptional qualities such as profuse concurrent production. That's similar to what Luther Burbank did with plums and other fruits. Who knows, maybe you could name and sell your own special type of jatropha.

Same could happen with hemp (and other plants), except Thai gov't won't allow their farmers to join the world community that is growing hemp and enjoying its benefits. The reason? Because Thailand is too tightly tied to US laws on such things, therefore it has no capacity for independent thought in that regard. Sorry to bash the Thais on this tangent, but hemp is one of my special interests, and it burns my biscuit that Thailand is behind the 8 ball on it.

Not to rain on your parade but all kinds of hemp is grown in Thailand. I was at the Doi Kham fair last December and there was a bunch of hilltribes with all kinds of hemp plants, some almost 3 meters tall. So the Royal Project is promoting hemp. It was quite an interesting display.

Also, if you go by a side street near the Wararot Market in Cm the hilltribes have stacks of hemp cloth that they make for sale.

For those not paying attention we are talking about hemp that is grown for its fibers and not its leaves and flowers.

Sorry to go off topic. I should have looked down for one of the hemp threads.

Edited by getgoin

The economics of Jatropha are very difficult.

As mentioned above, the fruit doesn't ripen all at the same time which means that mechanical harvesting is difficult/impossible.

There is a lot of hype surrounding this plant regarding its ability to grow in semi-arid conditions, etc. The reality is that if you want reasonable production you need water and fertilizer.

I spent a lot of time investigating this and concluded that my money is better invested elsewhere.

In my opinion the way forward is with biomass plantations to support electric power generation (that can then supply power for electric vehicles in addition to power for general use). Certain types of bamboo look promising.

Further to the above, 300 ha could support a sizable biomass plantation. Depending one where it's located, you should consider the favorable tariffs for biomass-fired power generation here.

The project would require considerable investment for the initial propagation of the biomass crop but after that would not be too cash intensive. Worth considering I think.

In my opinion the way forward is with biomass plantations to support electric power generation (that can then supply power for electric vehicles in addition to power for general use). Certain types of bamboo look promising.

Apologies for going off on the hemp topic like a one-issue Mother Jones, but I've heard hemp could be viable for biomass, converted to power generation by burning. stalks could be used after harvesting seed for oil/food and hurd for other things (furniture stuffing). It yields high on marginal land.

The jury appears to still be in deliberation re; jatropha. However, Burmese farmers are devoting large tracts to it, egged on by its junta gov't with a policy of seeking energy independence - perhaps the one decent thing the Burmese gov't is doing.

Thanks for all the replies! Its really contradicting hearing y'all words...yet I also hear of company starting plantations of Jatropha.

Jatoil just started 500ha in Vietnam...and there are various others I've read about with SE Asia and abroad.

anyhow...my acerage has drop from 300ha to 220. I'm in the process of purchasing some equipment at the moment and just recieved a few quotes from chinese mfgers. Not bad for prices.....!

I'm not to worried about fueling these equipments, I'll pay for 100% diesel just up to harvest of the first year.....after that...any of y'all can come by and get some!

• 1 month later...
Part of the problem is the fruit containing the seed ripen at different times.

I did a local search here in Chiang Rai. I found a nice woman at the Ag Dept who gave a bunch of seed free! I planted about 1/2, so still have some seed left (about 200) though they probably don't still have a viable germination ratio. I'll send some seed for free to whomever requests (within Thailand).

The ones that sprouted, 4 months ago, are up to 6 ft tall. Their leaves look quite like grape leaves. I'm told they're a small tree, and can handle drought. Also, I don't think the diesel motor has to be modified, though it works best for large simple engines, and not as well for car motors, though it could probably work ok if mixed.

I saw a brochure which showed the seed being pressed for oil in a simple hand cranked press - something a handy person could make in his garage in an afternoon.

With seed planted trees, every tree is unique. It's possible you or I could get lucky and find we have a tree with exceptional qualities such as profuse concurrent production. That's similar to what Luther Burbank did with plums and other fruits. Who knows, maybe you could name and sell your own special type of jatropha.

Same could happen with hemp (and other plants), except Thai gov't won't allow their farmers to join the world community that is growing hemp and enjoying its benefits. The reason? Because Thailand is too tightly tied to US laws on such things, therefore it has no capacity for independent thought in that regard. Sorry to bash the Thais on this tangent, but hemp is one of my special interests, and it burns my biscuit that Thailand is behind the 8 ball on it.