Bangkok Governor Apologises For Massive Floods

george

Bangkok governor apologises for massive floods

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Baribatra Tuesday issued an apology to Bangkokians for massive floods in many parts of the capital following heavy downpours.

He said the rains from Tuesday night to the Tuesday morning were measured at 148 millimetres, causing the drainage system to fail to drain the rain waters fast enough.

Many Bangkok roads were under about 30-centimetre-high water.

He was speaking to reporters while inspecting the Bang Na-Trat Highway in front of Central Bang Na. The area and the Sri Nakharin Road were severely flooded.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-10-13

No need for an apology. Heavy rain, 40 mm and above, even with good drainage system wouldn't help. But here the figures are higher than 100 mm(Bang Na area) which is exceptional, nothing will help. I bet if London witnesses 100 mm in less than 24 hrs it would be a disaster!

Who's going to apologize when a major tropical storm surge, combined with high tides, flood vast sectors of Bkk to a meter or more? This could happen b4 2 long. And with the cumulative affects of rising sea levels combined with a sinking land mass, the water may not abate for days or weeks, or.....?

Perhaps this topic should be combined with the 26 page T.Visa thread "Gulf Of Thailand Won't Rise With Global Warming, Expert Claims" ....in order to further show the folly of the expert's claim.

Even a giant levy around Bkk won't make much difference. Levies can hold water in as well as keep water out .....for awhile. The epic flooding of Bkk, sometime in the near future, will make New Orleans look like a prequel.

Start building that ark. I have 230 long lengths of bamboo for sale - 25 baht each.

• Like 1

His response to the flood is pretty good IMHO. I saw him directing his people and equipment on Sri Nakharin as Bangkok's worst flooding happened there today.

The landscape of Bangkok suits being paddy fields, not a modern city, from the beginning.

I went to Seacon Square Mall on Sri Nakarin Road today not knowing it was surrounded by a lake. The songthaew driver did not want to approach the curb, so the passengers hopped off into knee deep water.

Just part of the charm of living in Bangkok :)

Glorious memories of Samak assuring the populace that there would be no flooding in BKK. :)

Apres le deluge a reporter reminded him of this and he rounded on the unfortunate and berated him stating that this was not a flood; merely excessive rainwater. Thai logic at its best.

• Like 1

Such rains are not all that uncommon in BKK and the city should be prepared for them. I've been here long enough to hear repeatedly about how it's not going to happen when so-and-so gets elected. And it always does. But then everyone is going to solve the traffic problems as well.

Such rains are not all that uncommon in BKK and the city should be prepared for them. I've been here long enough to hear repeatedly about how it's not going to happen when so-and-so gets elected. And it always does. But then everyone is going to solve the traffic problems as well.

Sympathies to Bangkok from my bungalow balcony on sunny Samui.

Did have the pleasure of sitting in a Nakhon Chai bus for 3 hours at Don Meuang Saturday late afternoon during an impressive storm, but I think that was down to the air display.

In another thread they report it was the highest rainfall in two decades. That ought to cause some problems.

Perhaps the two threads should be merged - how many threads we need for one rain two days ago?

You should contact support(at)thaivisa.com if you have questions why a topic has been published

Who's going to apologize when a major tropical storm surge, combined with high tides, flood vast sectors of Bkk to a meter or more? This could happen b4 2 long. And with the cumulative affects of rising sea levels combined with a sinking land mass, the water may not abate for days or weeks, or.....?

Perhaps this topic should be combined with the 26 page T.Visa thread "Gulf Of Thailand Won't Rise With Global Warming, Expert Claims" ....in order to further show the folly of the expert's claim.

Even a giant levy around Bkk won't make much difference. Levies can hold water in as well as keep water out .....for awhile. The epic flooding of Bkk, sometime in the near future, will make New Orleans look like a prequel.

Start building that ark. I have 230 long lengths of bamboo for sale - 25 baht each.

If the oceans were rising, wouldn't they be rising everywhere? Sinking land mass is more likely the cause.

As for levies, put big pumps on the living side (but make them so they'll run when the water is deep unlike New Orleans). Sometimes people build in what seems today the dumbest places, but a river, bay and commerce looked good way back when.

Scott, maybe not where you live, but the storm yesterday was uncommon in the area the Governor visited. I base this on the massive flooding even in areas nearby that have never had any flooding and I have also lived here long enough to tell the difference. Today's deluge (early hours) only added to it. This morning, Srinakarin was twice as bad as it was yesterday when the Governor apologized for the flooding and more rains are on the way.

Based on all the massive drainage pipes that have been laid in these areas, I had thought this type of flooding could only be seen near the Chao Praya, but some sois in Prawet right now are nearly impassable by vehicles and businesses are being washed out.

I was down in Srinarkarin yesterday during the havy downpour, and I was stuck in traffic for over tw hours. I have had to head down that way again today, and around the Seacon area there is still a significant amount of water.

I was down in Srinarkarin yesterday during the havy downpour, and I was stuck in traffic for over tw hours. I have had to head down that way again today, and around the Seacon area there is still a significant amount of water.

There is a lot of run-off from Srinakarin, Bangna, Udomsook into the surrounding sois with no place for this water to go, but up. My driver took our kid to school this morning (Patana) and took photos on his cell and it isn't only around Seacon. Some are thinking that the tunnel they are building at the Srinakarin/Udomsook intersection may have something to do with it as it is doubtful city engineers would have expected such massive storms hitting this area when they started digging up the street.

I don't think there is anything the city can do, but hope it stops raining during the rainy season.

Most of Bangkok is very close to sea level (and getting closer every year!), so drainage is always going to be slow. With any sort of heavy rain/high tide situation flooding is inevitable. One thing that no-one mentions is the fact that a very large natural runoff area, not far from Bang Na, was paved over and turned into an airport!

Before it was paved over, Cobra Swamp was a natural buffer that absorbed a large amount of excess water and helped to mitigate the effects of flooding. Now, it sheds the water that falls onto it and intensifies the flooding in the areas around it.

Edited by otherstuff1957
  • Like 1

In another thread they report it was the highest rainfall in two decades. That ought to cause some problems.

Perhaps the two threads should be merged - how many threads we need for one rain two days ago?

Actually they are wrong. It rained more than this! This April in less than 24 hrs rained 217mm in the center of Bangkok!But it's true that rained less in Bang Na. Heavy rains with more than 100 mm have been registered during the last 5 years as well. Heaviest rain in two decades is a total bullshit:)

You should contact support(at)thaivisa.com if you have questions why a topic has been published

I see that people are posting exactly the same posts in two different threads on exactly the same topic, and I don't think Thunder26 is trolling.

I don't have questions, btw.

There is a lot of run-off from Srinakarin, Bangna, Udomsook into the surrounding sois with no place for this water to go, but up. My driver took our kid to school this morning (Patana) and took photos on his cell and it isn't only around Seacon. Some are thinking that the tunnel they are building at the Srinakarin/Udomsook intersection may have something to do with it as it is doubtful city engineers would have expected such massive storms hitting this area when they started digging up the street.

I don't think there is anything the city can do, but hope it stops raining during the rainy season.

Hello everyone. I am living in supalai park. these are mere facts about that area:

1. It started yesterday evening, went home by 9 PM then witnessed deep body of water (around 50cm/ 500mm not 100mm) that causes disastrous traffic jam.

2. Around 8 AM today, the water level gets higher and not interested to know how deep as IT IS VERY ANNOYING.

Analysis

GIVEN: heavy rain can be expected anytime of a year especially in rainy season, thus wish above is impossible to stop rain on rainy season otherwise it maybe summer.

MAJOR CAUSE: POOR DRAINAGE SYSTEM and NEVERENDING CONSTRUCTION ON THAT AREA SHOULD BE BLAMED...VERY SLOW PROGRESS...maybe it takes a decade...cars are congested everyday on that section so we residents are used to it but this current incident is not acceptable. we require quick action before we sink into this pool of water instead of an apology from a governor.

WArning to all motorists around that area: Upgrade your CAR that can easily transform into BOAT.

l

Hello everyone. I am living in supalai park. these are mere facts about that area:

1. It started yesterday evening, went home by 9 PM then witnessed deep body of water (around 50cm/ 500mm not 100mm) that causes disastrous traffic jam.

2. Around 8 AM today, the water level gets higher and not interested to know how deep as IT IS VERY ANNOYING.

Analysis

GIVEN: heavy rain can be expected anytime of a year especially in rainy season, thus wish above is impossible to stop rain on rainy season otherwise it maybe summer.

MAJOR CAUSE: POOR DRAINAGE SYSTEM and NEVERENDING CONSTRUCTION ON THAT AREA SHOULD BE BLAMED...VERY SLOW PROGRESS...maybe it takes a decade...cars are congested everyday on that section so we residents are used to it but this current incident is not acceptable. we require quick action before we sink into this pool of water instead of an apology from a governor.

WArning to all motorists around that area: Upgrade your CAR that can easily transform into BOAT.

I know where Supalai Park is and can tell you on the other side of Srinakarin going back for several kilometers, the water level in these sois is also several feet deep and equally very annoying. This is not to mention the local businesses which are not only not doing business now, but the cost of lost stock will cost a lot of these poor people a great deal.

Perhaps 15 years ago I remember when a Governor just north of Bangkok opened up the flood gates so his area would not be flooded. This flooded many areas of Bangkok and literally, boats were used to access parts of the Srinakarin area. However, with the new drainage systems I didn't think we would see this again. Obviously, I over estimated the BMA's capabilities.

• Like 1

Sympathies to Bangkok from my bungalow balcony on sunny Samui.

Reminds me of how Bangkok has most of the highest property values in Thailand. Entirely counter-intuitive. You take the most gridlocked, smoggiest, densly populated, sinking, flooded part of Thailand and .......find it has the highest property values. It's like finding a giant open-sided restaurant with the most rotten food next to a giant smoggy/noisy intersection, and finding it charges the highest prices.

If the oceans were rising, wouldn't they be rising everywhere? Sinking land mass is more likely the cause.

both are contributing factors, including tides.

As for levies, put big pumps on the living side (but make them so they'll run when the water is deep unlike New Orleans). Sometimes people build in what seems today the dumbest places, but a river, bay and commerce looked good way back when.

Pumps need to be powered and maintained. There's an tsunami detection buoy which was given to Thailand, and then we found later it was not able to be maintained properly. Either the expense of a replacement battery and/or the technical difficulty of placing it in the buoy and/or something else precluded keeping the buoy functioning.

Add to that, most of Thailand's electricity comes from Laos. If the Laotian power supply was insufficient (whether intentional or not), such giant pumps could not function. Also, a levy is only as good as its weakest link. Just one breach along its proposed dozens/hundreds of Km would render it more harmful than no levy at all. It would keep flood water in, even while draining started days later, as happened in New Orleans. On a roughly annual basis, a Thai munitions armory blows up. This is not the place to experiment with using a few machines (giant electric powered pumps) to protect a city of 6 million.

The only sensible course of action is to start moving Bangkok to higher ground in stages. Universities to one area. Manufacturing to another. Government to another, and perhaps Royalty and Sangha focused on another area. Shipping and slums can stay. Thais don't need to put all their marbles in one gargantuan place.

The only sensible course of action is to start moving Bangkok to higher ground in stages. Universities to one area. Manufacturing to another. Government to another, and perhaps Royalty and Sangha focused on another area.

What a great idea. I suggest that the Government remove themselves to Timbuktu. No flooding there.

The only sensible course of action is to start moving Bangkok to higher ground in stages. Universities to one area. Manufacturing to another. Government to another, and perhaps Royalty and Sangha focused on another area.

What a great idea. I suggest that the Government remove themselves to Timbuktu. No flooding there.

We need BMA action now. Not future plan. :)