Bangkok Governor Apologises For Massive Floods

george

COming from a village in the Netherlands that is 4 meter below sealevel I do not think it should be a problem to keep water out in general.

When heavy rains occur in a short period it is understandable that the system cannot cope with it at once and that some flooding might occur. But that shouldn't last more than 24 hours imho.

Having said that I always get slightly pissed off when I read about the xxxxxth studying trip for officials to go and study how to cope with the water in places like London or New York ...... . It seems they still don't understand that if you want to solve waterproblems in a setting like Bangkok (swamp, below sea level like the Netherlands) you go to the Netherlands. They even understood that in New Orleans after they got flooded. There is no expertise on the subject to be had in London or New York.

W

COming from a village in the Netherlands that is 4 meter below sealevel I do not think it should be a problem to keep water out in general.

When heavy rains occur in a short period it is understandable that the system cannot cope with it at once and that some flooding might occur. But that shouldn't last more than 24 hours imho.

Having said that I always get slightly pissed off when I read about the xxxxxth studying trip for officials to go and study how to cope with the water in places like London or New York ...... . It seems they still don't understand that if you want to solve waterproblems in a setting like Bangkok (swamp, below sea level like the Netherlands) you go to the Netherlands. They even understood that in New Orleans after they got flooded. There is no expertise on the subject to be had in London or New York.

W

I agree, it is a joke.

Recently, I asked a retired BMA official about what was being done on a different issue (making entertainment venues safer) and was told as far as he knows, nothing is being done because there is too many things to fix. His point was that if there is one complete solution to an issue, then the BMA may take corrective action, but when the issue is complex not to expect much.

Well, certainly there has been nothing reported on the BMA's corrective actions on making entertainment venues safer and I would expect, similarly, we shouldn't expect too much being done on drainage issues. Frankly, I expected more from Sukhumphand.

• 10 months later...

Humans and nature need to co-exist in an efficient manner to sustain livability , especialy in water conservation and control , water is becoming the reason for conflict in various parts of the world , in the Congo people go over 100 metres into caves to collect the only source of water they have left . India , who has talked the talk for too many years just as Thailand has , have suddenly awakened to the fast approaching dilemna of water scarcity and flooding at the same time , which has caused major flooding and loss of crops because too little too late is upon them .

Apologies and posturing need to cease and effective measures with good planning put into effect , most likely need to call in the Dutch for such knowledge to be put into place , fu_ck the face thingamee , results are imperative for the survival of Bangkok and its citizens , period .

This is not the place to experiment with using a few machines (giant electric powered pumps) to protect a city of 6 million.

The only sensible course of action is to start moving Bangkok to higher ground in stages.

brahmburgers, I think you will find the population of Bangkok is alot closer to 10 million (9.somthing).

On your second point above - AGREED.

'techno' timestamp='1284270596' post='3878359']

No such problems in Chiang Mai at the moment. Move here as its nice and sunny

That sir , would be the typical Thai answer that takes even a modicum of thought over and above "How much is in it for me " , Thai know too much about too ltlle .