A+l Internet Banking Problem

Hi all, anyone have internet banking with Alliance and Leicester, I've used them for as long as I can remember without any problem, last week when trying to make an internal transfer I go t the following message

Safari can’t connect to the server.

Safari can’t open the page “https://www.mybank.alliance-leicester.co.uk/view_accounts/VA1.asp” because Safari can’t connect to the server “www.mybank.alliance-leicester.co.uk”.

I tried on a PC with Windows and also Opera and all came up with same result, when eventually getting through on the phone the lady there told that perhaps Thailand was blocking access to the website, but I can access my accounts with ING along with my Credit Card accounts so why would they want to block accessing A+L.

So, anyone else experiencing same, and anybody know of how to fix it as it seems no help coming from the bank themselves?

Hi all, anyone have internet banking with Alliance and Leicester, I've used them for as long as I can remember without any problem, last week when trying to make an internal transfer I go t the following message

Safari can't connect to the server.

Safari can't open the page "https://www.mybank.alliance-leicester.co.uk/view_accounts/VA1.asp" because Safari can't connect to the server "www.mybank.alliance-leicester.co.uk".

I tried on a PC with Windows and also Opera and all came up with same result, when eventually getting through on the phone the lady there told that perhaps Thailand was blocking access to the website, but I can access my accounts with ING along with my Credit Card accounts so why would they want to block accessing A+L.

So, anyone else experiencing same, and anybody know of how to fix it as it seems no help coming from the bank themselves?

No problem at all connecting to the link you listed. I am using Firefox 3.5.4 on Ubuntu OS, TOT internet.

I can get into your account with no problems following the link you gave :) .

Seriosly though I did get the following message and when I typed https// at the beginning of the address up came the log in page.

The page must be viewed over a secure channel

The page you are trying to access is secured with Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Type https:// at the beginning of the address you are attempting to reach and press ENTER.

HTTP Error 403.4 - Forbidden: SSL is required to view this resource.

Internet Information Services (IIS)

I can get into your account with no problems following the link you gave :) .

Seriosly though I did get the following message and when I typed https// at the beginning of the address up came the log in page.

The page must be viewed over a secure channel

The page you are trying to access is secured with Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Type https:// at the beginning of the address you are attempting to reach and press ENTER.

HTTP Error 403.4 - Forbidden: SSL is required to view this resource.

Internet Information Services (IIS)

Thanks for the replies guys, but my mystery deepens, I now know that the website is running and is not being blocked, you have proved that plus a friend in Leicester checked for me with no problem getting to the log in page. Next step was to go to a friend here in HH with same ISP of Maxnet and getting to the login page was quick and easy and was able to view my accounts. So back to home, and still no way could I get to the login page, I have an old laptop which I connected to Maxnet and same problem couldn't get to login page.

Now the mystery is, Maxnet is flying along nicely, I can access any website I like secured or not secured including other banks and credit cards with no problem, everyone else can access this website of www.mybank.alliance-leicester.co.uk but for some weird reason I can't from my own home (when I could just a couple of weeks ago). Tried on a Mac, and two different Windows machines with every browser you can think of, I've reset my modem, I've changed all the setting on it to hopefully confuse it and then put it right but to no avail. My own conclusion is - well I don't have one other than it being an absolute poser.

Seems in the short term I'll have to go to friends or the internet cafe's to check and do my personal banking. Any solution offered that works and I'll be their friend for life.

If I followed this topic correctly you have issues getting the site on you're computer at you're house/apt. The visit to the friend's place that proved a success,,,was this using you're old laptop at his place? or using his computer?

Sounds to me like either you're modem has some issue but only with that site? Possible I guess. Any chance of trying another modem at you're place? Or bringing a friends laptop to you're place?

If I followed this topic correctly you have issues getting the site on you're computer at you're house/apt. The visit to the friend's place that proved a success,,,was this using you're old laptop at his place? or using his computer?

Sounds to me like either you're modem has some issue but only with that site? Possible I guess. Any chance of trying another modem at you're place? Or bringing a friends laptop to you're place?

Hi Longball, yes you following correctly. My friends house was on their computer so the problem seems to be strictly at my house. My computer appears to be not the culprit as when using a second computer at my home the problem is still there, which points to the modem having hassles with just this one website, as stated before my connection flies along nicely and I can access any other website I choose too. Interner Explorer on its diagnosis can find no fault with my connection, it suggested certain checks which I did and all boxes were correctly ticked etc. Thought of contacting Maxnet but unless get someone speaking perfect English there to try and explain the problem too I might find I wish I hadn't as if they do a check I'm sure they'll just say internet connection working perfectly (which basically it is) so fault is with my computer. The only other option I can think of is to try with another modem at my house to see if that fixes things so have to ask around.

Thanks for following anyway, let me know if any inspiration comes to mind.

Another simple solution might be to clear the cache and history. I've found occasionally that something in there might repeat a problem, but "starting fresh" sometimes resolves the issue. Clear out the cookies, too.

However, as it seems to be on different computers located on just the one modem, maybe the modem is somehow the problem. Any chance of temporarily trying a different modem in your home?

Edited by JusMe

Could be security settings in Windows?

I know I used to have a problem when I first used HSBC Internet Banking and after a call to them their IT guy talked me through changin settings and I was able to access the log in after that.

Just call them and ask to speak to their IT people or send an email explaining the problem and ask them to call you.