Bar Music License

rawaireddragon

So the music police are back in Rawai. The RCa record agent (General's mia noi?) dripping in gold...dubious ID accompanied by "officers" from Chalong.

Pay the license (5K) or we come back and could fine you 30,000 - 60,000.

OK we pay please give us the bank details of the company and no problems..........

So RCa records and this "governement agency" don't have an account. It is cash only or pay to this womans personal account.!!!!

I accept that as bar owners we must pay for playing copywritten music as in every other country and if a legitmate agency came to collect I would pay . But could some other bar owners give me their thoughts...My feeling is if EVERYONE questioned the legitimacy of this scam they might just disappear for another year minus their ill gotten gains.

Its a total farce.. they often cant even answer what labels or artists they represent.. And a week or 2 later a different one turns up claiming to represent them all.. Of course with police in on it and assisting on the shakedown what can you do ?????

I actually came up with an elegant solution, if you have space or a good net connection. Host the media files out of the way, pref out of the bar but at least hidden away. Then use a device like a slingbox or anything that will play net raadio streams, hel_l it would be trivial to install a low power FM transmitter.. Tune it in as a web radio or normal radio to the bar system.. no media, no files, etc.. When you need to adjust a playlist or change music style just use a remote desktop connection to the server, really really simple stuff.

If the net was reliable enough here you could just use medialocker or other online storage service.

Say mode's just an idea. The Bar Music License is of serious concern to bar owners and should not be taken likely. I have seen numerous threads on this subject on the Chiang Mai,Pattaya Bangkok and Phuket forms. What about given the owners a Form on this subject?

Its a total farce.. they often cant even answer what labels or artists they represent.. And a week or 2 later a different one turns up claiming to represent them all.. Of course with police in on it and assisting on the shakedown what can you do ?????

I actually came up with an elegant solution, if you have space or a good net connection. Host the media files out of the way, pref out of the bar but at least hidden away. Then use a device like a slingbox or anything that will play net raadio streams, hel_l it would be trivial to install a low power FM transmitter.. Tune it in as a web radio or normal radio to the bar system.. no media, no files, etc.. When you need to adjust a playlist or change music style just use a remote desktop connection to the server, really really simple stuff.

If the net was reliable enough here you could just use medialocker or other online storage service.

I don't know the exact wording of the law here in Thailand, but i'm pretty sure your elegant solution wouldnt work in the UK.

If you own a factory/bar/school whatever in the UK and play (say) National Radio 1 to either your staff or your customers then it can be classed as a public broadcast and you would need a licence to do that. It's nothing to do where the files are located or how the music comes to your speakers, it's something to do with publicly rebroadcasting music.

Like i say, dont know if the same thing applies in Thailand.

Something seems very very fishy with this story. Are you actually saying that they don't accept bank to bank payments. Only payments in cash?

That's incredible !

Brilliant, a netbook an external HD and a loooong line out and you're ready to rock

I don't know the exact wording of the law here in Thailand, but i'm pretty sure your elegant solution wouldnt work in the UK.

If you own a factory/bar/school whatever in the UK and play (say) National Radio 1 to either your staff or your customers then it can be classed as a public broadcast and you would need a licence to do that. It's nothing to do where the files are located or how the music comes to your speakers, it's something to do with publicly rebroadcasting music.

Like i say, dont know if the same thing applies in Thailand.

Something seems very very fishy with this story. Are you actually saying that they don't accept bank to bank payments. Only payments in cash?

That's incredible !

Here it isnt the broadcast its the copyright owners.. And you have more than one group (they all claim to represent more than they do, one came round selling licenses and it turned out they only represented some thai domestic artists).

In the local case its up to them to prove you had the CD's or files of thier artists (o labels) on your computer.. So if you hav no computer, you have no files..

Theres no license required to play the radio, lord alone knows wht they would think about web radio.

I once had a group of "forestry officials" visit one of my construction sites once.

We invited them onto our property but we asked if we could photo copy their ID's first, not one of them could produce a Forestry Department ID let aloe any personal ID.... they never came back.

I think if you're paying some one you should be able to get a copy of their ID ...tell them it's just to make sure you're spelling their name correct :)

Well i got the RKT one from bangkok and they do have a proper web site and there own bank account hahahahaha its 5000 but if a group of you get together and buy 1 you can have copys of that 1 for 3000 hahahaha no i have my own then when the said gold dripping lady comes in looks at the wall then runs

I dont play or have thai music in the bar so i dont need the one for that.

go look it up RKT Publishing

With many thanks to our friends in Chaing Mai check this link

http://www.1stopmusic.com/tariff.html. this shows the tarrifs if a legitimate agent turns up......but only for their copywrite songs (about 75 thai aritists)

more importantly this link is form the interlectual ownership rights website and the law was passed early April 2008

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=876&print=1.

so now I am looking forward to to their return

• 3 weeks later...