Cheap Calls From Thailand To The Uk

sumrit

Sorry if this has already been posted, I did a search but couldn't find anything.

True are now doing a 'pay as you go' sim card called a 'True Inter Sim' available from 7 eleven stores for 49 baht.

Calls to the UK are just 1 baht per minute, 24/7 and there are cheap rates for many other countries. Credit on the

card is valid for one year so you're not going to lose your credit if you don't use it quickly. I think texts to the UK

are 5 baht.

I have tried it and the call quality is very good.

Calls to local Thailand numbers are charged at 1.5 baht per minute.

You must use a True Inter Sim, a standard True Sim card doesn't have this promotion.

1 baht a minute?? I thought it was 4 baht using 006??

I'm back in the UK at the moment so when I heard about this True promotion I contacted a friend in Thailand who bought a sim card yesterday then phoned me to test the quality. We spoke for four minutes and it cost four baht so maybe they've reduced the cost :) .

Skype is good, PC to Pc (free) and to mobile/landline..less than a baht a minute I think!!

also Aussie outfit, Freshte,l have softphone availability.

Sorry if this has already been posted, I did a search but couldn't find anything.

True are now doing a 'pay as you go' sim card called a 'True Inter Sim' available from 7 eleven stores for 49 baht.

Calls to the UK are just 1 baht per minute, 24/7 and there are cheap rates for many other countries. Credit on the

card is valid for one year so you're not going to lose your credit if you don't use it quickly. I think texts to the UK

are 5 baht.

You must use a True Inter Sim, a standard True Sim card doesn't have this promotion.

'Skype is good, PC to PC (free) and to mobile/landline..less than a baht a minute I think!!'

Agreed, though, to be anal for a minute, it is slightly more than that - 1.2p per minute to a landline (1.4p per minute to mobiles) plus VAT plus a 3.3p connection fee. So a call of more than a couple of minutes is very competitive.

You can buy a cheap basic Skype phone that USB-connects into a computer in Pattaya (see my previous thread by searching on Skype and santisuk) or in Phantip Center Bangkok if you cannot find one in Chonburi.

Skype is not marketed to Thais but you can open an account on line with a UK credit card. I have downloaded the Skype package in many a Thai internet cafe (only takes a couple of minutes) so I can plug in my phone on the road.

I travel a lot around the world - Skype is one of those wonders of the 21st century

Edited by SantiSuk

are 5 baht.

Truemove describe this as a post pay card? How do you top it up with money?

Calls to 0845 numbers seem to be either not available (009 prefixes on my 1-2-Call and DTAC seemed to stop working in August - anyone confirm or know why?) or very expensive from Thai mobiles and outrageous from UK mobiles.

Calls via Skype phone - I called my bank this week for 25 minutes - cost £1.95 plus VAT for 25 minutes. I make that 17 baht a minute. Expensive, but can any other service beat that?

Of course the downsides to Skypephone are that you need to be connected to a PC (although rather expensive Skypephones are now available that will connect you to your nearest wifi signal), you need to spend about 650 baht on a basic Skypephone and (the most damaging) you need a constant signal to your PC otherwise your calls will drop when the signal goes. Can be frustrating at home when TOT is having a bad day!)

Calling Thailand from the UK. Yes - the guy above hinted at it. Phonecheap 08442009898 - make sure you use a UK landline unless your mobile provider gives free or very cheap calls to 0844 numbers (Orange does not). Phonecheap will tell you that 'calls cost half a p a minute'. I calculated (anal ex accountant that I am) that the all up rate using a BT landline to Phonecheap to Thailand during a weekday with no special BT deals is 0.8p to 1.25 p depending on how long you call. Still a great deal! Downsides - maybe 10% of the time the quality is a bit poor and maybe 5% of the time it is unusable (they sell cheap because they use a coarse sampling technique to cut down the volume sent). So have a back-up. Phonecheap works from the UK worldwide incidentally.

Edited by SantiSuk

I use thookdee, and that is definately a 1 ฿ per minute call to the UK from Thailand at anytime of the day or night. It is a 'pay as you go' scratch card that you can buy from Family Mart. N.B. it is only 1 ฿ from your home telephone to the home telephone in the UK, and is 7 ฿ per minute when telephoning a mobile in the UK.

Their web site is. www.thookdee.com

Edited by Pitbullman1

I use thookdee, and that is definately a 1 ฿ per minute call to the UK from Thailand at anytime of the day or night. It is a 'pay as you go' scratch card that you can buy from Family Mart. N.B. it is only 1 ฿ from your home telephone to the home telephone in the UK, and is 7 ฿ per minute when telephoning a mobile in the UK.

Their web site is. www.thookdee.com

Sounds like the Thai equivalent of Phonecheap (see my posting immediately above) - and maybe there is a cost in using your homephone too? Thanks for posting - will definitely road test it. Probably has the same quality issues I set out above.

Of course the downsides to Skypephone are that you need to be connected to a PC (although rather expensive Skypephones are now available that will connect you to your nearest wifi signal)

There is a free Skype for Pocket PC (and other mobile phones?) so no need for the above always. I use it on an HTC mobile phone and get very good reception through wi-fi points.

I'm back in the UK at the moment so when I heard about this True promotion I contacted a friend in Thailand who bought a sim card yesterday then phoned me to test the quality. We spoke for four minutes and it cost four baht so maybe they've reduced the cost :) .

Was that to a UK mobile or a landline?

Was that to a UK mobile or a landline?

It was to my landline in the UK. I looked on the True web site but couldn't find anything regarding their pay as you go sim, but they also do a contract version and with that calls to a UK landline cost the same 1 baht per minute and calls to a UK mobile 4 baht per minute so I assume the PAYG sim would be the same.