• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Monthly Rental - Studio/room/appartment - Recommendation

free4life

Hi,

I am new to this forum and will be based in Chiang Mai for 2 months later in 2010 following various courses (learning Thai, reflexology/massage and yoga). I will need to travel to Ratchadamnoen Rd 5 times/week.

I am looking for recommendations/reviews on monthly rental accommodation.

Reliable Internet Service is priority #1, desk, 1 double bed, AC, Fridge, Hot Water, Bathroom Ensuite in a secure environment with "clean" facilities are priorities.

Kitchen corner/microwable, bathtub, Cleaning Service, Laundry Service access, Swimming Pool & Fitness Center could be nice extra but not mandatory.

Keeping in mind extra such as electricity, water and possibly internet, I am looking for a room between 5000 to 9000. (7500 max wld be ideal)

So far Emporium Chiang Mai Residence, Loft Residence, Huaykaew Residence, Chiang Mai Smith Residence all seem potential options, but I am not sure vs location, havent found enough reviews to take a decision so any advices/review or additional suggestions would be very welcome.

PS. I am a woman btw - no idea if some area are better than other for my peace of mind :)

Edited by free4life

Oh and I do think about arriving few days in advance and visit few places before making a decision but any advice/expertise would be much appreciated. I will be on a 2-3 years trip around Asia and Europe but chose to stay longer in Chiang Mai and got some notion of Thai etc

Thanks

Smith Residence is good and very close to ChiangMai Gate, but a bit 'cold'.

HuayKaew is too far from the centre (unless you have rented a m/c)

NuanPrannee Guest House (top of MuengMung Soy 1/2, Mitrpranee road) is good and very central.

Top North Guest House in Muengmung Soy 2 has a really nice swimming pool and friendly atmosphere, you can book in their for a couple of days while you look around (you might not want to leave, they have monthy rates too).

You might want to consider the Royal Lanna Hotel, at 1200bht a night (ha ha) or 7000bht a month (5500 with no fridge or tv). Top of Loy Krow road and Night Bazaar. Marble floors, swimming pool, very elegant, bath, underground car park. They have a 3 month minimum rental period, but you can talk them down fairly easily.

Pretty much everywhere has monthly rates at less that 1/2 the daily rate (Royal Lanna was the most extreme example I have found). Chiang Mai is full of empty hotels, no need to book anywhere in advance.

I've not thought anywhere around Chiang Mai to be "threatening" for women, most European women I speak to complain that men don't even look at them! One lady I was chatting with (also doing massage/reflexology course and staying at Top North Guest House) said in the west she can't go into a bar without being hit on, out here she doesn't seem to exist to men.

You didn't say what time of year you are coming, jan/feb is peak season and rates are less flexible then.

I wouldn't worry about a microwave or cooking area, eating out in a Thai restaurant costs about 50p/£1 for a really nice meal (if you avoid places aimed at white people).

Edited by pjclark1