Thailand To India

WaiWai

India was one of the most unhygienic countries I have ever been to with people openly sh!tting in the street as the norm.

You'd need a real good reason to want to live there.

I went for a short trip a couple of years ago. Never again!!! Filthy, disgusting. Kids living and playing on filthy rubbish dumps. Huge signs telling people to use a toilet, not crap in the street (they ignored it though so be careful where you walk). Beggars at every corner - never make the mistake of giving anything to anyone, no matter how much you sympathise with their plight, it will only encourage loads of others to crowd you. Watch Slumdog Millionairre for a glimpse of the slums.

Traffic? I much prefer driving in Thailand, and that says a lot. Especially when I saw a traffic policeman sat with what looked like a Kalashnikov. Taxis without aircon so the windows are open, hence lots of exhaust fumes to breathe in. Constant beeping of horns, not a second goes by without someone leaning on their horn.

Never, never never again.

I teach in Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver, Canada, and there are loads of people of India origin in Surrey. Many of my students go "to the Punjab" and I ask them about it. One rather attractive young female student(about 16) was chased relentlessly in the streets, but she has been there many times and thought it was funny. The worst thing i heard was some of my students said they stepped over dead people in the streeet, or dying ones. I said (foolishly) to them.."does noone help them?" They replied if you help them, you could be charged with murdering them if they die as you are assisting them. i did not believe it, but it gave me a snippet of the harshness there.

On a trip to Goa I asked a tour guide why the locals were prodding what appeared to be people sleeping. I thought that they just wanted to get rid of them to prettify the place for tourists. No, I was told that if they don't move when they are poked with a stick it means they are dead. Every morning a lorry went around collecting the dead bodies.

Lovely place! Avoid it like the plague.

India was one of the most unhygienic countries I have ever been to with people openly sh!tting in the street as the norm.

You'd need a real good reason to want to live there.

You would want a really good reason to even go there, never mind live there. The only good reason for landing in India is that you are in a Transit lounge.