Chiang Mai Brokers Truce Between Reds And Yellows

webfact

COLOURS OF CONFLICTS

Chiang Mai brokers truce between reds and yellows

By The Nation

Published on October 15, 2009

The Chiang Mai Chamber of Commerce has been brokering a truce between the red shirts and the yellow shirts for the sake of the city's tourism industry, sources said yesterday.

Conflicts, sometimes violent, between the two rival groups have been cited as the reason why tourists are staying away from Chiang Mai.

"The provincial Chamber of Commerce coordinated the first talk with representatives from both groups two weeks ago and a second discussion on Monday," one of the sources said.

After the meetings, a joint working group was set up to draft an agreement, said the source, adding that a press conference would be held next Monday about the matter.

"The agreement focuses on the groups holding demonstrations that respect other people's rights and remind them of being good hosts so tourist confidence can be restored," the source opined.

There are many red and yellow shirt splinter groups in Chiang Mai, and some of the most active and violent ones refused to send representatives to the meetings.

Mahawan Kawang, leader of the Society of Thaksin Admirers in Chiang Mai, said the participants of the meetings agreed that the conflict should be toned down so it does not affect the tourism industry ahead of this year's "high season".

He said foreign diplomats would be invited to the press conference on Monday, adding that measures would also be adopted to punish any groups that fail to abide by the joint agreement.

Promsak Saenpho, who heads the red-shirt Confederation of Grassroots People of the North, said the statement would be submitted to Chiang Mai's governor to show that they are serious.

"The goal is to restore a pleasant environment for tourists in Chiang Mai," he said. "The country will be victorious if unity is restored and the political colours are destroyed."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/15

From the Nation article:

"Conflicts, sometimes violent, between the two rival groups have been cited as the reason why tourists are staying away from Chiang Mai."

Hate to bust that bubble, but there are more realistic reasons why tourists are staying away from Chiang Mai.

Here's a partial list:

>>> traffic is bad

>>> no public buses

>>> smog

>>> no parks in the city larger than a postage stamp

>>> most Thais who interact with tourists have dreary attitudes. And they're cheerier than the rest of Chiang Maians, who look like they lost the lottery 500 days in a row.

If you find a backpacker in Chiang Mai (there used to be hundreds), chances are that person is just using C.Mai as a transit point for getting to Chiang Rai or Laos.

Edited by brahmburgers

And of course the ones with most violent temperaments refused to even come to the meeting.

This clearly shows the polorization of those that the extremes,; they won't even consider

non-violence as a viable alternative for the good of the greater community. Speaks volumes...

There are many red and yellow shirt splinter groups in Chiang Mai, and some of the most active and violent ones refused to send representatives to the meetings.

I.e. nothing was accomplished.

Mediating peace between those that doesn't fight is easy - it is the violent elements that have to be stamped out.

Have the yellow shirts instigated any violence in Chiang Mai? Red shirt violence here is well-documented, but I've yet to hear of yellow shirts being involved in violent conflict, other than being on the receiving end. And yes, I'm specifically talking about Chiang Mai.

Have the yellow shirts instigated any violence in Chiang Mai? Red shirt violence here is well-documented, but I've yet to hear of yellow shirts being involved in violent conflict, other than being on the receiving end. And yes, I'm specifically talking about Chiang Mai.

I understand your point but it misses the angle that if you neuter one group the other will become stronger and they both have moderate and fanatical elements in them, so getting both sides is [would be] a good idea.

Sadly the radical ones always refuses. Guess that is why they are labeled radicals or fanatics.

Of course I'm all for getting reds & yellows to sit down together and agree on something (unless it's blaming Thailand's problems on the foreigners!). Even if radical factions aren't involved, any small step towards civility is welcome. My issue was more with the language of the original article, which seemed to give a skewed picture of the situation in Chiang Mai.

I would have to disagree with the statement that backpackers are staying away from Chiang Mai. I work in tourism-related field and it seems the backpackers are the one group who seem to be the most prevalent foreign tourist group. I also don't agree that the drop in CM tourism is related to small parks, lack of buses, traffic, or even Red-Yellow problems. I also think CM people are as friendly as ever. My personal opinion is that the lack of tourism in Chiang Mai is a result of the economic problems which affect tourism anywhere. This is just my opinion and I could be wrong as I have not taken an official survey.

I agree with tomahawk's comments above - the economy is hitting very hard, here in Thailand and around the world.

Back to the OP: it's good. These are exactly the types of initiatives required around the country. We're in a bad way, and we need to start taking baby steps forward... For example, I'd like to see red and yellows join together and protest against environmental horrors... even if they are 'only moderate groups', it's a start.

The 'real'IRA still haven't come to the table in Belfast, but the situation continues to move forward, far from over, many problems to be resolved, but the downway cycle into deeper pits of violence has been arrested; no more nail bombs being thrown into school playgrounds...

So, I say: good on these folk who got together, realized their silimlarities, put aside their divisions and took a baby step forward. :)

I would have to disagree with the statement that backpackers are staying away from Chiang Mai. I work in tourism-related field and it seems the backpackers are the one group who seem to be the most prevalent foreign tourist group. I also don't agree that the drop in CM tourism is related to small parks, lack of buses, traffic, or even Red-Yellow problems. I also think CM people are as friendly as ever. My personal opinion is that the lack of tourism in Chiang Mai is a result of the economic problems which affect tourism anywhere. This is just my opinion and I could be wrong as I have not taken an official survey.

Your not to far off the mark tomohawk. Backpackers have used Chiangmai as a hub forever. I know so many people who come to Chiangmai from India to recuperate from thier time in India who are mostly backpackers then head down south to the beaches and vise/versa as an example. There is a great chance that the visitor numbers will keep improving, and that is why measures have been taken to ensure that visitors are not extremely affected by the political turmoil. People will travel no matter what the world conditions are like. People love thier vacations and unless the sun pops from the sky will keep going to where they want to go....

You didn't see TV report on PAD guys shooting at people freely on the way to lay siege at Suvannabhumi Airport? shooting into the Paliament? Skewered the police with flag pole? How they chased and hurted Bhumisrol locals twice on both occasions protesting at Pra Viharn shrine? dead body found at Don Muang airport, bodies dumped into Chao praya river? Come On! Red violence, yellow violence what the different. We just need them to stop it. Not for god or anyone up there, but for ourselves. The attempt is better than doing nothing.

You didn't see TV report on PAD guys shooting at people freely on the way to lay siege at Suvannabhumi Airport? shooting into the Paliament? Skewered the police with flag pole? How they chased and hurted Bhumisrol locals twice on both occasions protesting at Pra Viharn shrine? dead body found at Don Muang airport, bodies dumped into Chao praya river? Come On! Red violence, yellow violence what the different. We just need them to stop it. Not for god or anyone up there, but for ourselves. The attempt is better than doing nothing.

Just a note, they didn't "shoot at people freely on the way to lay siege at Suvannabhumi Airport", it was 2 guards that shot against the taxi-center at Viphavadi after some taxi-drivers attacked the caravan with metal poles etc. Are they stupid? Sure. But it wasn't completely unprovoked and out of the blue.

Just a small note.

You didn't see TV report on PAD guys shooting at people freely on the way to lay siege at Suvannabhumi Airport? ..........

Please re-read: Have the yellow shirts instigated any violence in Chiang Mai?...I'm specifically talking about Chiang Mai.

You didn't see TV report on PAD guys shooting at people freely on the way to lay siege at Suvannabhumi Airport? ..........

Please re-read: Have the yellow shirts instigated any violence in Chiang Mai?...I'm specifically talking about Chiang Mai.

There is basically one hooligan gang in CM who have instigtaed lots of violence against opponents, farmers, fellow colour compatriots, gays etc etc Im sure we all know who they are. Are they signatories or not?