Anyone Want To Be A Popstar?

I have recently moved here fron HK (English) where I was rhythm guitarist and songwriter in original band. Anyone in Samui want to start new band? I am not a hippie and hate jazz and blues. I dyed my hair yellow yesterday because I am a man with a canny middle-aged crisis. Also because I was told it pulls chicks and takes people's attention away from beergut. Influences...Sunderland Football Club, Joy Divison, JAMC, early Siouxsie, but also Killers, Garbage, New Order, Cure till 1990, Bauhaus, Blondie, Buzzcocks/Pistols (never was really a Clash fan), early Bunnymen, Elastica in heyday, Feeder when poppy, Ian Dury, Libertines, Morrisey/Smiths, Nirvana, first 2 album Oasis, especially seminal first, Pere Ubu, PSBs, PIL, Razorlight, some Roxy, Shonen Knife, Undertones, and have just got into Robbie Williams after reading his biography, which is brilliant BTW!

• 3 weeks later...

Alright chap.

Strange, I have similar tastes, and I too hate pentatonic, dixie-style twang - on record, or live. However, for some unknown reason I often end up playing the most indulgent sub-clapton wank.

So I'm unlikely to be the Sergeant to your McCullough. But would be extremely well disposed toward loose jams (bet you hate that word!) and beer if you're still around when I arrive (Mid May). In my defence, I'm one of the few guitarists I know to have sussed out how to play 'Ceremony' properly. Shame you didn't mention Sonic Youth or MBV...

Koh Samui, shoegazer central? My word....perhaps you can show me where all the goth chicks are on Samui!

Also, I'll be turning 40 shortly after arriving in BKK......I'll know I'm really middle aged when I start buying Weller's solo albums.......

later,

Stringer

great stuff! let me know when you arrive....not a great guitarist myself but i can hold a rhythym...and a bit of vocals..all we need now is a drummer and bass for the rudiments and we are away! I have some live mp3s of my band in HK..got a yahoo account or somehing II can send some too? Are you coming to live here? As you can see from my other posts, I am looking to open a live music bar...

Alright chap.

Strange, I have similar tastes, and I too hate pentatonic, dixie-style twang - on record, or live. However, for some unknown reason I often end up playing the most indulgent sub-clapton wank.

So I'm unlikely to be the Sergeant to your McCullough. But would be extremely well disposed toward loose jams  (bet you hate that word!) and beer if you're still around when I arrive (Mid May). In my defence, I'm one of the few guitarists I know to have sussed out how to play 'Ceremony' properly.  Shame you didn't mention Sonic Youth or MBV...

Koh Samui, shoegazer central? My word....perhaps you can show me where all the goth chicks are on Samui!

Also, I'll be turning 40 shortly after arriving in BKK......I'll know I'm really middle aged when I start buying Weller's solo albums.......

later,

Stringer

Came across an advert yesterday regarding a fledgling blues group on Samui. Their link is here. I don't know them but this maybe some help to you.

Edit: Just re-read where you said you don't like blues (?!) but at least this gives you a link to some guys making music on Samui.

Edited by bahtandsold

Came across an advert yesterday regarding a fledgling blues group on Samui. Their link is here.  I don't know them but this maybe some help to you.

Edit: Just re-read where you said you don't like blues (?!) but at least this gives you a link to some guys making music on Samui.

nice one chap. Might just pop down and see em while I'm there.

great stuff! let me know when you arrive....not a great guitarist myself but i can hold a rhythym...and a bit of vocals..all we need now is a drummer and bass for the rudiments and we are away! I have some live mp3s of my band in HK..got a yahoo account or somehing II can send some too? Are you coming to live here? As you can see from my other posts, I am looking to open a live music bar...

Cool. I'll give you a shout when I hit town. Like I said, I'm a total hack guitarist, but it would be cool just to meet someone out there with similar taste in tunes!

I am so rusty tho. I don't have anything on tape anymore, let alone on disk, which will give you an idea of how long it is since I attempted anything serious! will PM my email if you want to send stuff.

One more thing: anyone got any ideas on the guitar front, as in, where can I buy a guitar in Bangkok? Was thinking of buying an electro-acoustic there instead of carting my crappy old Westone around the world!

Stringer