Do You Cook? Can You Cook?

Jockstar

Ok. Firstly the reason for this thread was something mentioned in Bedlam. I could have posted there but i think we'll get a better response here. Mods can you not move this? The reason that its in general topics is because its the most popular. So anyway back to the question. Do you cook? Since Thai food here is so cheap. Do you even bother to cook Thai food? I and my other half. Cook quite often.But we also order downstairs at the restaurant or get take away. Many Thai dishes. But i also cook farang food. My missus is a great cook. Personally i'm not to bad myself. I can cook many different things.

Thai

Mexican

Indian.

Italian

and many other different things. I am by no means a qualified chef. I have stayed in many shared houses over the years so i have had to learn to cook. 2nd question. Can you cook? Or do you let the other half do it? If you want then you can even post some pics. I dont have any myself. But let us have a look and give your our honest opinion. Only on how it looks as we havent tasted it.

Edited by Jockstar

Ok, from Bedlam the pic that inspired this topic thread, here's my Spaghetti Bolognese which has already been described as greasy by a chef, commented on about use of soi dogs as main ingredient and now the pic is being auctioned off for a popular restaurant/bar's menu in Surin in exchange for a thimble of imported beer :o.

Easy to prepare coz I made it, cheap, coz I paid for it, and tasty coz I ate it :D .

DSC04577.jpg

Ok. Firstly the reason for this thread was something mentioned in Bedlam. I could have posted there but i think we'll get a better response here. Mods can you not move this. The reason that its in general topics is because its the most popular. So anyway back to the question. Do you cook? Since Thai food here is so cheap. Do you even bother to cook Thai food. I and my other half. Cook quite often.But we also order downstairs at the restaurant or get take away. Many Thai dishes. But i also cook farang food. My missus is a great cook. Personally i'm not to bad myself. I can cook many different things.

Thai

Mexican

Indian.

Italian

and many other different things. I am by no means a qualified chef. I have stayed in many shared houses over the years so i have had to learn to cook. 2nd question. Can you cook? Or do you let the other half do it? If you want then you can even post some pics. I dont have any myself. But let us have a look and give your  our honest opinion. Only on how it looks as we havent tasted it.

Recently my mates girl was here for 10 days....I cooked her Laab and gai yang...she didnt think she could get laab here.....She was so impressed... :o

I also do Som tam and Thai chicken salad and Tom yum

I can cook quite a few different styles of dishes from other countries. Generally I do leave it to the other half to cook but I think it is nice to give them a night off and take over the kitchen once in a while....they sure appreciate it.

If I had my own house in Thailand and lived there then I would do the same as I would do here.....let her cook mostly but still give her a break everynow and then

I think that's the attempt T. Merton (no relation to Paul?), because they showed the other thread in Bedlam so this is going to be the new one I think.

Can't believe you was on this forum a couple of years ago, coz I only just seen you on here recently, then I looked at your member date and realised there is a poster lazier than me, your a true Forum Lurker. :o:D Can't believe some people joined last year and already 1000 plus posts, too much time on your hands Jockstar? :D

Edited by bkkmadness

I think that's the attempt T. Merton (no relation to Paul?), because they showed the other thread in Bedlam so this is going to be the new one I think. 

Can't believe you was on this forum a couple of years ago, coz I only just seen you on here recently, then I looked at your member date and realised there is a poster lazier than me,  your a true Forum Lurker. :D  :D  Can't believe some people joined last year and already 1000 plus posts, too much time on your hands Jockstar? :D

Thats what happens when you get home at around 4 o'clock. Get the full of October off and work half of March. Fukc its a hard life. Maybe i should get out more. But then again i spend too much money.Being a pisshead and all that. Better stay at home. Oh! By the way i'm off work till Monday. Shit! More time on TV. :D:D:o

There was a similar thread a couple of years ago, where posters included their favourite recipes.

Any chance of developing this thread along those lines?

I'm willing to relaunch an old thread :D

let's keep this one for comments on what you would like , and i'll add a another recipy to my old one....

currently plaged by slow internet so bear with me..

:o

There was a similar thread a couple of years ago, where posters included their favourite recipes.

let's keep this one for comments on what you would like , and i'll add a another recipy to my old one....

Maybe keep it all here DK? The old thread was from 2 years ago. I believe alot of the posters have changed since. So any recipes, ideas etc. But again some of you are not forthcoming on whether you can cook or not. Come on guys and gals. Put your hand up if you cant cook or can. Does the missus or husband do it? Come on! We are a nosey bunch.

Maybe keep it all here DK? The old thread was from 2 years ago. I believe alot of the posters have changed since. So any recipes, ideas etc. But again some of you are not forthcoming on whether you can cook or not. Come on guys and gals. Put your hand up if you cant cook or can. Does the missus or husband do it? Come on! We are a nosey bunch.

Recipes still stay the same jockstar :D different people eat them though :D

So who cooks what ?

Do the english only cook mince pies ?

What do australians eat ?? kangaroo not being available in thaialnd :D

The french ? are french cooks around here?

Let us know ?

Recipes still stay the same jockstar :D different people eat them though :D

So who cooks what ?

Do the english only cook mince pies ?

What do australians eat ?? kangaroo not being available in thaialnd :D

The french ? are french cooks around here?

Let us know ?

No stress DK. I think these 2 threads can work side by side. One for recipes and one to answer the original questions. Maybe we might get a cross thread. But i dont think we should close either. I think both will be good for people.

I try to do my bit in the Kitchen, my g/f appreciates it, we also barbecue etc. and we all join in. G/f, her daughter, son and myself, a kind of communal thing. Sometimes I get it into my head and cook on my own, knowing that they like spag. with a nice garlic and basil sauce, along with roasted belly pork and garlic bread, or salmon steaks lightly coated with cornflower then pan fried. Things like that, just simple but tasty.

heres some nice links on cooking :o

1st one

another one

the indian one :D

Thanks. But its not what website say. Its more a personal thing we are after. What can you cook?etc,. I know the first website you said. Because i wanted to cook Lasagna in a microwave. Done a google and got that. But the question is. Can you cook? Or the 2nd. Do you cook? But thanks anyway. Some people will like it.

Yes and Yes

Can cook all sorts mainly British, cooked dinners, caseroles, stews, steak and kidney pie, cheese and potato pie, but can cook most things can make a decent korma here from scratch just buying what you can find in the local markets. I dont do much Thai as there are so many people here that are better than it than me. Sometimes cook for the hole family my thai mother-in-law really likes fried fillet of pork, rosted veg and roast potatos and is partial to fresh home made colslaw.

Never been into baking or cakes much but my wife can make bread and fresh Pizza.

Yes, I can cook, but No, I don't cook very often...

I cook the odd bit of "food farang" here, usually as a late night snack, but most of the time, it's either food bought by my wife, or the maid does the cooking... (or my wife cooks sometimes too).

But, when you can get Ba Mee Nam, or chicken and rice, or fried pork for 20 baht, who's going to bother cooking every day...

What do australians eat ?? kangaroo not being available in thaialnd :o

Let us know ?

Steak, Lamb Chops , Yorkies Sausages, Hamburger all cooked on the BBQ accompaied with coleslaw,potatoe salad,ceasar salad or tossed lettuce salad. For a bit of variety sometimes oyster & bacon kebabs, scallop brochete, lamb or beef kebabs, chicken tandori,atlantic salmon all on the BBQ. For Thai guests we used to put on shrimp,hoy,mussels,squid,liver ,heart etc but no longer bother. Weve found that once they try lamb, real beef, and real sausages they just love it.

If its just the everning family meal i usually prepare and cook it myself and when its a bigger gathering the thai women usually take over the bbq and do an excellant job.

Ok. Firstly the reason for this thread was something mentioned in Bedlam. I could have posted there but i think we'll get a better response here. Mods can you not move this? The reason that its in general topics is because its the most popular. So anyway back to the question. Do you cook? Since Thai food here is so cheap. Do you even bother to cook Thai food? I and my other half. Cook quite often.But we also order downstairs at the restaurant or get take away. Many Thai dishes. But i also cook farang food. My missus is a great cook. Personally i'm not to bad myself. I can cook many different things.

Thai

Mexican

Indian.

Italian

and many other different things. I am by no means a qualified chef. I have stayed in many shared houses over the years so i have had to learn to cook. 2nd question. Can you cook? Or do you let the other half do it? If you want then you can even post some pics. I dont have any myself. But let us have a look and give your  our honest opinion. Only on how it looks as we havent tasted it.

because my wife is living in a village outside surin, we usually cook all the time. I say we, because we usually take turns (but she is definitely better at it then me).

I cook the spuds and some farang food we may have (steak, pie and peas, fish & chips). FG cooks a small number of Thai dishes but most are generally available close by and in fact cheaper (som tam, koy teow, etc). FG has been known to knock up a bacon & tomato or bacon & mushroom sandwich now and again. For barbies I usually prepare and marinate the meat but she does the cooking.

Can cook - do cook. Tonight it was a grilled Rump steak (rare) with very spicy Som Tam. Yesterday Tandoori chicken on toasted turkish bread with tomatos, onion rings and yoghurt sauce. Been cooking for 20 odd years but really love BKK's street-food stalls! How can you beat a meal-in-one-soup like Kway Tiaw for 25 baht!?

lampard10:

love the picyure of your Spag Bol - wish I could post pictures like that! As for the taste of that meal: don't know but I can tell you that I have been cooking Bolognese sauce for some 23 years. In a quick guess that would equate to about 20000 litres of tomatoes!

I resorted to cooking out here because I miss my farang food, of course a lot you can get in Bangkok but for the good food it's expensive.

I can cook up 2 delicious Chicken Kievs with mashed spuds for about 60-70 baht so it makes perfect to cook, and get an appartment with a half decent kitchen.

I do eat Thai food but have not started cooking it yet, but the trouble is with a lot of Thai food is that I don't eat anything spicy so the choice gets limited.

I remember even when I lived in a place with no kitchen, just a 300 baht wok on the balcony I could still knock up a good steak and mash cheaply.