90 Day Multi Entry Ventienne

Hi,

I have been in Thailand for the past 1.5 years, first I arrived on a 90day multi entry tourist visa from the UK, which I then managed to change to a non-O volunteer visa which I have been extending every 3 months for the past 10 months or so. I have just been told that I can't extend for another 3 months now (as the immigration rules have changed and they need more documents which I dont have, and don't have enough time to obtain before my last extension expires on Sun 18th Oct).

So I will need to exit the country, and plan to go to Ventienne to apply for a 90 day multi entry tourist visa.

My concern is if there will be any problems with this at the embassy, given that I have already been in Thailand (for the last 1.5yrs on a tourist visa, then volunteer visa). Will they look upon this suspiciously?

As I have heard they are getting tough on tourists who are applying for back to back tourist visas?

Thanks,

PS How much is a 90day multi entry visa ? I know the 60day one is free, but I don't think this applies to the 90day?

Also, I have just read that you can get 60 day or 90 day single/double/multi entry tourist visas

How many entries does a multi entry give you - 3?

Is there any safe one to go for? Is there more chance of being refused say - a 90day multi entry, instead of a 60day double?

Very confused as to the different types and which one to go for (I would like to stay as long as possible)

Hi,

I have been in Thailand for the past 1.5 years, first I arrived on a 90day multi entry tourist visa from the UK, which I then managed to change to a non-O volunteer visa which I have been extending every 3 months for the past 10 months or so. I have just been told that I can't extend for another 3 months now (as the immigration rules have changed and they need more documents which I dont have, and don't have enough time to obtain before my last extension expires on Sun 18th Oct).

So I will need to exit the country, and plan to go to Ventienne to apply for a 90 day multi entry tourist visa.

My concern is if there will be any problems with this at the embassy, given that I have already been in Thailand (for the last 1.5yrs on a tourist visa, then volunteer visa). Will they look upon this suspiciously?

As I have heard they are getting tough on tourists who are applying for back to back tourist visas?

Thanks,

PS How much is a 90day multi entry visa ? I know the 60day one is free, but I don't think this applies to the 90day?

You seem confused with terminology, and I suspect you probably got Non-O multi entry visa on basis of visiting friends initially (as from UK).

Vientiane is currently issuing double entry tourist visas (and is only place in the region) free of charge. With extensions and a border run in the middle that will give you nearly another 6 months stay. My guess is that having come off Non-O visa you will probably be ok in getting a new tourist visa, but Vientiane is a lottery at the moment and nothing is guaranteed. Have a look at the thread below:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Red-Warning-...ne-t300805.html

If you want to stay on a longer basis consider obtaining multi-entry Non-O visa from Perth on the basis of visiting friends. You will need to take signed copy of gf passport/ID card with you and will have to do border runs every 90 days. Doing border hop just before the visa expires will give further 90 day permission to stay stretching visa to 15 months. You can use this visa to support work permit for volunteer work, but you cannot work legally on a tourist visa.

Edited by thaiphoon

Also, I have just read that you can get 60 day or 90 day single/double/multi entry tourist visas

How many entries does a multi entry give you - 3?

Is there any safe one to go for? Is there more chance of being refused say - a 90day multi entry, instead of a 60day double?

Very confused as to the different types and which one to go for (I would like to stay as long as possible)

A tourist visa will give you 60 day permission to stay, and can be extended at Thai immigration (at the discretion of immigration officer) for a further 30 days. A double entry tourist visa will allow you do this process twice giving you nearly 6 months stay. A triple entry tourist visa will allow you do the process three times giving you nearly 9 months stay. A Non-Immigrant multi-entry O visa will give you unlimited entries and a 90 day permission to stay on each entry whilst the visa is valid.

BUT you won't get multi-entry visa in the region unless married to Thai/have Thai child/have business etc. You would have to travel further afield to Perth or to Europe to obtain multi-entry Non-O visa on basis of visiting friends where application of the visa issuing rules are more laxly applied at some of the honorary consulates.

Within the region the longest visa you can obtain is a double entry tourist visa from Vientiane which, with extensions and a border run in the middle, will give you nearly 6 months stay.

Edited by thaiphoon

Thanks all good info. I just re-read the tourist visa app form, and now see that the max days for a tourist visa is 60 days (not 90days).

Can anyone confirm? I hear that the single entry is free at the moment, how about the double entry?

Thanks Lite Beer, sorry only just saw your reply on this post.

Do you know about 3 entries/multiple entries? I guess that would be pushing my luck if they were still free?

Or would they even issue a tourist visa that has 3 entries/multiple entries?

Double Entry is free in Vientienne.

A tourist visa will give you 60 day permission to stay, and can be extended at Thai immigration (at the discretion of immigration officer) for a further 30 days. A double entry tourist visa will allow you do this process twice giving you nearly 6 months stay. ...

Within the region the longest visa you can obtain is a double entry tourist visa from Vientiane which, with extensions and a border run in the middle, will give you nearly 6 months stay.

Hi, all!

I've never applied for a double entry tourist visa for Thailand and I will try to do that very soon in Vientiane. I am a little bit confused though about this double entry and extension process. If I want to stay 6 months in Thailand with this double entry visa, how should I do? I presume that the 60 first days, there is nothing special to do, then my understanding is that I must obtain a 30-days extension at Thai Immigration and on the 90th day, I have to cross the border and come back to Thailand where I can stay again for 60 days, then, ask for a new (and last) 30-days extension? Am I right?

Edited by GuyL

Hi, all!

I've never applied for a double entry tourist visa for Thailand and I will try to do that very soon in Vientiane. I am a little bit confused though about this double entry and extension process. If I want to stay 6 months in Thailand with this double entry visa, how should I do? I presume that the 60 first days, there is nothing special to do, then my understanding is that I must obtain a 30-days extension at Thai Immigration and on the 90th day, I have to cross the border and come back to Thailand where I can stay again for 60 days, then, ask for a new (and last) 30-days extension? Am I right?

Pretty much so. You just need to watch carefully the "enter before" date on the visa. You must do a border run to activate your second 60 day stay the DAY BEFORE this date at the latest. That may be a day or so before your permission to stay given under the 30 day extension expires.

Pretty much so. You just need to watch carefully the "enter before" date on the visa. You must do a border run to activate your second 60 day stay the DAY BEFORE this date at the latest. That may be a day or so before your permission to stay given under the 30 day extension expires.

Thank you for your help, Thaiphoon, much appreciated!

Just to add...

You do not need to wait until day 60 to obtain your 30 day extension. Suggest you apply a few days before. You will not lose any days by applying early. You will need to take with you completed application form TM7, recent passport sized photo, copies of your passport photo page, visa page, entry/permission to stay page + TM6 departure card. Fee 1900 baht.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc

Edited by thaiphoon

Just to add...

You do not need to wait until day 60 to obtain your 30 day extension. Suggest you apply a few days before. You will not lose any days by applying early. You will need to take with you completed application form TM7, recent passport sized photo, copies of your passport photo page, visa page, entry/permission to stay page + TM6 departure card. Fee 1900 baht.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc

Great advice! Thanks again!