Apple Tv

ThaiLife

I just spotted an advert for a second hand Apple TV, and was wondering if any forum members were using one, had used one ,or were thinking of getting one, and could offer any Personal comments on what can really be done with an Apple TV. :)

Thanks

TL

Check out the WD TV. The Apple TV is similar, only made by Apple, with a few more restrictions, and a hard disk built in.

I really wanted one but in the end what put me off was:

1 - High price. In the USA it's $225, outside over $400. No idea why, I guess the US price is somewhat subsidized by the iTunes store?

2 - Doesn't do full HD, only 720p.

3 - You have to hack the device in order to make it play any format. There's hacked software out that to do it easily but it's an additional hurdle. I have a friend with an Apple TV and he converts all his media to H264 so that the AppleTV can play it but that is a pretty big pain, really.

The WD TV doesn't even try to solve the "how do I get my content from my computer to the device" problem - it just offers a USB plug to plug in media. It's also less than ideal as a consumer device. Dumb things like there is a hug lag in the remote when you turn it on and off. But it does play full HD and it's a lot cheaper than the AppleTV.

The WDTV is good but the eGreat M34A or another NMT is even better in my opinion.

It's the same form factor as a WDTV and slightly less expensive - and it offers network connectivity so you can stream to it via your home network from your computer. This player is part of the NMT range, which has a huge community that develops applications for their players.

If you want to use the advanced functions there's a learning curve, but for basic playback it is not difficult for anyone who is not a computer or technophobe.

Use Apple TV's on a daily basis to stream all my media content to the lounge bedrooms etc. Don't actually use the built in harddrive as stream all the content from a mac pro.

Also the on tv access to itunes store for movie rentals (HD and non HD) and movie purchases,music,music videos and of course youtube and podcasts. And TV shows by the episode or season. Its just better for me I watch what I want when I want and at picture sound quality that far exceeds what the dreadful UBC offer.

And of course you can stream any content from itunes you have added not just the purchases

No need for UBC anymore. :) I highly recommend it.

Edited by namoo

• 10 months later...

I wanna try the newly introduced version of the Apple TV...

but not sure how easy it is?

I currently watch iTunes downloaded movies and foreign TV shows on my iPad (if stuck in a long cab, plane, train ride etc.) or podcasts on my iPhone....

how does that work for Apple TV (for the smaller version just announced a day ago by Steve Jobs)?

(I would imagine grey market units will hit MBK shortly after they are released)

by the way, further to my post just above,

I currently download movies and TV shows, music, podcasts, books, etc. to my regular PC laptop (HP), not to an Apple Macbook.....

then sync iPad and iPhone with that laptop....(not sure if that matters for use of an Apple TV unit)....

Im assuming that Apple TV unit can connect to my Samsung hi def LED TV via a HDMI cable?

do I need to then connect my content loaded iPhone, iPad or laptop to the Apple TV unit with a cable or?

The WD TV doesn't even try to solve the "how do I get my content from my computer to the device" problem - it just offers a USB plug to plug in media. It's also less than ideal as a consumer device. Dumb things like there is a hug lag in the remote when you turn it on and off. But it does play full HD and it's a lot cheaper than the AppleTV.

Hm, what do you mean? My WDTV has a network connection through which it can access my 2TB stash of movies on my PC.

Don't know what you mean by delay. There is the normal delay there is on practically any device when you turn it on.

Now if you wanted to point one out that has a clunky interface look at the AC Ryan.

Edited by Phil Conners

I have one for 2 years now, 160 Gb version.

At first a bit disappointing as it's limited with only iTunes so you have to convert all content to the formats the Apple promotes.

Later I hacked it and now I use it with XBMC and Boxee software and an external HD to watch downloaded material.

Optional there is a browser available too, but I didn't get a qwerty remote (you can with iPhone) so that's not very useful.

I think for the XBMC and Boxee there are cheaper solutions on the market, but the Apple TV is a nice package.

If it's not too expensive 2nd hand go for it and hack it as soon as you got it, it's far better without the Apple limitations.