Pizza Rustica Is The Best Pizza In Chiang Mai!

CLASBYCLAN

A few people I know fell for that line quite a while ago, but were very disappointed when they actually visited Pizza-n-Pasta. I would put it about on par with Paradise Pizza which is in the "OK for Thailand" category.

The Pizza Rusica shop smelled great, but was not much better than Paradise Pizza either.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the parDise place based on the buzz here on TV. In my opinion not even close to khun Steven Simple in another league. Just my opinion though and love the pizza wars on TV. Always good debate. Kevin

I tried the parDise place based on the buzz here on TV. In my opinion not even close to khun Steven Simple in another league. Just my opinion though and love the pizza wars on TV. Always good debate. Kevin

What or who is Khun Steven Simple? Sounds like a nursery rhyme.

Edit Steven is owner of pizza and pasta. Apologies for typos

What or who is Khun Steven Simple? Sounds like a nursery rhyme.

A few people I know fell for that line quite a while ago, but were very disappointed when they actually visited Pizza-n-Pasta. I would put it about on par with Paradise Pizza which is in the "OK for Thailand" category.

The Pizza Rusica shop smelled great, but was not much better than Paradise Pizza either.

I must agree with you UG, regarding Pizza-n-Pasta. I thought the tomato topping tasted as if it had just come out of the tomato paste concentrate can and spread on the bread base directly from there.

I do enjoy the Dukes pizza, but only in the restaurant its self, as usually too soggy by the time it gets home. I also like the Pizza at Gorgio's just beyond Pantip Plaza on Chang klan, thin and crispy base.

I went to Pizza-n-Pasta more than a year ago. Quite possibly the worst pizza I ever experienced. I went after reading about it on another thread. What a disappointment. :bah:

The pizza that is consistently terrific is the thin-crusted pizza at the Italian restaurant on Sunday Walking St. just past Black Canyon Coffee on the same side of the street.

I tried Pizza-n-Pasta also once when I happened to be out in that area around lunch time. I thought that it wasn't horrible, but it was more along the lines of pizza that you'd get if you bought slices of pizza in a shopping mall in the US than what you'd get at Lombardi's in NYC or Pepe's in New Haven. I'd categorize is as being inoffensive but forgettable.

I would propose that - in general - the best pizza that one is likely to get in Thailand would be along the lines of what ypu would find in a shopping mall in the US, rather than anything even close to Lombardi's in NYC or Pepe's in New Haven. :(

Edited by Ulysses G.

I would propose that - in general - the best pizza one is likely to get in Thailand would be along the lines of what ypu would find in a shopping mall in the US, rather than anything even close to Lombardi's in NYC or Pepe's in New Haven. :(

Available evidence seems to support that proposal, though the one time I tried the pizza at Duke's I thought that it was a step above mall pizza.

Strangely though, most Europeans I meet in Thailand seem to think that almost every Italian Restaurant anywhere in the world (other than in the USA, of course) has better pizza than anything that you'll find in NYC or New Haven anyway. That makes it harder to put pizza reccommendations in context here. I've heard raves about the pizza at a few of the Italian restaurants in in Chiang Mai from such folk, and the are very adamant about it. But so far I've been underwhelmed by the Italian styled pizza here too, even at the most heavily hyped places. If that's really what good pizza takes like, then it's no wonder that they don't like the pizza in NYC.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Available evidence seems to support that proposal, though the one time I tried the pizza at Duke's I thought that it was a step above mall pizza.

I agree that the Duke's pizza stands above the rest, but every time that I mention it, someone claims that secretly I own the place.

There are a few Italian pizza places that are fairly good for toppings - Stefano's and the place at almost at the beginning of Walking Street near Thapae Gate - but good crust is my favorite part of a pizza and that dry cracker crust just does not measure up IMO.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I agree that the Duke's pizza stands above the rest, but every time that I mention it, someone claims that secretly I own the place.

There are a few Italian pizza places that are fairly good for toppings - Stefano's and the place at almost at the beginning of Walking Street near Thapae Gate - but good crust is my favorite part of a pizza and that dry cracker crust just does not measure up IMO.

yeah, I know, it seems like on almost every CM food thread on ThaiVisa that people end up discussing Duke's. I'm not a Duke's groupee though; I probably eat there a couple of times per month, mostly because my wife is crazy over a particular dish that they serve there. She orders that same dish every time and I'm slowly working my way though the rest of the menu. Most times after eating there I have a feeling as if I just ate at a Bennigans or a TGIF Friday's, but with their pizza it was different. I'd order it more often except that I overeat dramatically when I order pizza, and if I did it too often it would likely lead to bypass surgery.

How much at Francesca?? Drive past often.

From around 200 for a small to 350 large. They only have two sizes.

funnily enough i saw a brochure just half an hour ago. Not over the top, but will wait for more recommendations before trying.

OK i guess i have to make an appearance here, but one of the best pizzas in Chiang mai and definately the best pizza outside of the city, is at Happy pizza, not American style, not fully Italian style, not rustica, just a great pizza, It's thin, it's tasty and has no complaints,except for the thin part (lol) after all, what is a pizza ??? many people have no idea about pizza,but in the end,it just comes down to what you like!!!! :whistling:

If we're allowing out of town places then let me also put one in for Rosewood restaurant at Kad Farang on the Hang Dong road, a little past Koolpunt Ville 9.

http://www.facebook....138368782892585

http://www.chicwhere...il.php?pro_id=5

It's fairly high-end for the location. Really excellent food, including pizza.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Yes they look great, they put up a sign a couple of meters from my pizza place! :lol: :lol:

If we're allowing out of town places then let me also put one in for Rosewood restaurant at Kad Farang on the Hang Dong road, a little past Koolpunt Ville 9.

http://www.facebook....138368782892585

http://www.chicwhere...il.php?pro_id=5

It's fairly high-end for the location. Really excellent food, including pizza.

OK, i accept the challenge, if i don't make one of the best pizzas in Chiang mai, i'll start selling hotdogs!!! :lol: :lol: o ohhh.

I would propose that - in general - the best pizza that one is likely to get in Thailand would be along the lines of what ypu would find in a shopping mall in the US, rather than anything even close to Lombardi's in NYC or Pepe's in New Haven. :(

OK, i accept the challenge, if i don't make one of the best pizzas in Chiang mai, i'll start selling hotdogs!!! :lol: :lol: o ohhh.

Are you the owner of Happy Pizza?

Hmmm, my girlfriend is the owner, i pay the bills :whistling: :whistling:

Are you the owner of Happy Pizza?

UG, I have to call you on this one for two reasons, first for a man who very recently say he doesn't "badger" a business ....well you went and did exactly that ! The real kicker is you have never been there in your life, right? Your above post you imply you know something about pizza and pasta through others? May I ask who? You are blasting a place for no good reason ,you somehow feel the need yet you have never been there ! I have been there several times and in a few of my visits i taken others there.This is key info here.... Everybody has thanked me for turning them on to the best New York Style pizza in town and now eat there regularly . It is all in the crust and for a New York style pizza this place is it ,To compare it to paradie pizza is so.so far off ... I have eaten at paradise and for pizza by the slice it is o.k. but not even in the same league as pizza and pasta . I have eaten enough pizzas at the place you are # 1 cheerleader for too , it is fine too and much better than Pardise but sadly more than one time the pizza crust is saggy you try to pick up a piece and it all flops off. Since it is all in the crust and the New York style crust is exactly what the New York guy has got going at his Pasta and Pizza joint which by the way has an ac room too which is nice now. Far superior to any American pizza joint in CM. Italian pizzas to each their own any are very good at least o.k. but since it is all in the crust the Italian jobs have much trouble competing for the sytle crust i require to be happy..

In closing , we may forgive you in time for this very poor post above but meanwhile I urge you to acually visit Pasta and Pizza you will be very pleasantly surprised. also maybe even better for some, the best "FRESH MADE" lasagna in town , at 129baht it is a lost leader and unbelievable on his good days since the New York guy actually makes everrything. Try the sausage lasagna it is a true treat! The place is sometimes very busy and a guy who i showed the place to told me a few days ago that he has a pizza buffet going now, not sure when or how much ... i would order standard New York style crust,he has 4 kinds ,,,, I finally tried the thin new york and it is o.k. but the true new york crust is so good... hot out of the oven on his good days none better ! order the proper crust his regular New York style crust is the winner.

Edited by yesterday

You gotta give the guy at P & P credit, works very hard,he really does try and he sticks to his guns, everybody gets their own followers and get better and more experienced as time goes by!

You gotta give the guy at P & P credit, works very hard,he really does try and he sticks to his guns, everybody gets their own followers and get better and more experienced as time goes by!

The Pasta and Pizza having the best New York style crust , hands down the tastiest American pizza in CM would now be more the standard ,the teacher if you will he has crested with the finest New york style American pizza . Being a pizza guy from New York he picked the crust part of the pizza equation quite well I would think state side . Again, the fresh made to order sausage lasagna is remarkable too ,

Edited by yesterday