Pizza Rustica Is The Best Pizza In Chiang Mai!

CLASBYCLAN

Too bad I can't share my home made pizza with you... sour dough crust, lots of meat and veggies on top and heaps of chedder and mozzarella cheese. I'm going to pig out on it tomorrow while watching the football games on television.

:):D:D

Pizza_010.sized.jpg

That looks great Ian! Good job. I like to make my own pizza too here in CM. So much more satisfying and also cheaper. Sai ooa (Northern sausage) makes a great topping!

I thought I saw a sign for Pizza Koh Lanta opening on Nimmanhaemin Soi 5 (or maybe 3 or 7) just east of Nimmanhaemin, but that was a month or so ago.

I went to Koh Lanta Pizza on Nimman soi 5 a couple of weeks ago. I ordered the large margarita, and was rather disgusted to find that they had used Thai basil (hairy or holy I'm not sure) on my pizza. Sorry, but that is just wrong. It totally overpowered all other flavours on the pizza. And I had to pay 120B for this culinary disaster. They say they use a wood fired oven, but the pizza looked like it had been cooked in a microwave. It's safe to say I won't be going back.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Koh Lanta Pizza on Nimman soi 5 a couple of weeks ago. I ordered the large margarita, and was rather disgusted to find that they had used Thai basil (hairy or holy I'm not sure) on my pizza. Sorry, but that is just wrong. It totally overpowered all other flavours on the pizza. And I had to pay 120B for this culinary disaster. They say they use a wood fired oven, but the pizza looked like it had been cooked in a microwave. It's safe to say I won't be going back.

Glad that they are back in business, and will have to get up there pronto. They always used a great wood fired oven, and I can imagine for one moment that they cooked it in a microwave. Perhaps your taste buds are in the same place as Cheesy's :)

Glad that they are back in business, and will have to get up there pronto. They always used a great wood fired oven, and I can imagine for one moment that they cooked it in a microwave. Perhaps your taste buds are in the same place as Cheesy's :)

Excellent. That's good news. And I agree, they always used the wood fired oven. I never had a bad meal there.

And I also think The Dukes makes a great pizza too.

I'll have to give Rustica a shot- also right around the corner for me.

Don't expect much at Rustica.

The pizza is not bad, just very ordinary.

No way can it be the "best in Chiangmai" as the OP claims.

If it were serving pizzas back in the world, it wouldn't survive, but here, it might.

If you're in that part of town, and you are hungry for a pizza, okay.

But to make a special trip there, I wouldn't.

Err, well I did -- once -- but not motivated to go back.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

I went to Koh Lanta Pizza on Nimman soi 5 a couple of weeks ago. ... They say they use a wood fired oven, but the pizza looked like it had been cooked in a microwave. It's safe to say I won't be going back.

Thanks for posting, Keo.

I've noticed Koh Lanta Pizza tucked away on Nimman 5.

Each time I pass by, I glance in, wondering if the pizza is any good.

And each time I see the same: lights on, doors open, but no customers.

After reading Keo's comments, I'm not going to try my luck there either.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Mr. Chans and Ms Pauline's. True Thai/New Yorkers. ... Chan's has the oven thing down.

If you are talking about Mr. Chan's on Huey Kaeo Road, near Phucom intersection, no, they don't "have the oven thing down".

Not when I ate there a few months ago.

The toppings were adequate, but the crust was bland and undercooked -- still doughy in the middle.

I'd say bland because of insufficient salt in the crust.

And probably used local soybean oil, or something like that, instead of more flavourfull olive oil.

As for being under-cooked, in general, Thai cooks have a tendency to under-cook most foods.

I've learned that to get a steak medium here, I have to order it well-done.

Same with the pizza at Mr. Chan's & Miss Pauline's: under cooked.

I didn't care for it, and haven't been back to try my luck again.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

Not sure you did them any flavours, i mean favours, by posting a link to a website that's obviously under construction! :) The 'read more' link takes some beating!

Still, pretty close by to where i live, so i'll probably give them a look :D

Aitch

If you don't mind please report back. The only place I found that had outstanding pizza was in San Sai and recently closed. If this place receives a second vote of praise, even though it's a drive for me, I'll give it a try.

Totally give them a try, I loved Rigleys, especially as they were close to us, so this place is a great alternative!

I went to Koh Lanta Pizza on Nimman soi 5 a couple of weeks ago. ... They say they use a wood fired oven, but the pizza looked like it had been cooked in a microwave. It's safe to say I won't be going back.

Thanks for posting, Keo.

I've noticed Koh Lanta Pizza tucked away on Nimman 5.

Each time I pass by, I glance in, wondering if the pizza is any good.

And each time I see the same: lights on, doors open, but no customers.

After reading Keo's comments, I'm not going to try my luck there either.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Tried Koh Lanta a couple of days ago. Had the 8" pineapple, ham and tomato.

Firstly, it was closer to 9", so that was nice.

Not a bad amount of toppings - but not much tomato.

I mentioned I like lots of sauce, and there was almost enough to keep it juicy, but not by any means a lot. I like lots of thick sauce cooking into the melting cheese - a little gooey, and a little juicy (don't like just watery sauce painted on to give a bit of red colour on the crust.). But not here...

The crust was not super-thin like a Roma style Italian pizza, but was a little thicker - more like a Naples pizza. But unfortunately, unlike a nice bready Naples pizza, this dough was hard, tasteless, and not even crispy on the bottom. I agree - didn't seem wood-fired to me (I don't think it was nuked, as the crust wouldn't have been hard,would it?). And no yeasty, doughy smell from the restaurant either. Good pizza smells like pizza!

For Thailand, it was ok, but it really didn't hit that pizza 'spot' for me.

Dukes is ok - I liked it better a few years ago when it had a cheddary taste - now the cheese, and his (kinda boring) sauce don't really do anything together. Lots of decent toppings though - generous, but missing that cheese-sauce-dough cohesion that I like so much.

I've had a few Mad Dog pizzas, but not recently. I remember them being thick and generous as well, but missing something.

A little place called "8 inch" on Huay Keow makes nicely thought out little pizzas (if they are still there!). Good salads too...

Anybody tried Guitarman? I had only one slice there a few years ago, enjoyed it, and keep meaning to go back...

Later, wj

Hey - if you have a couple of hours to kill, read up on Pizza on Wikipedia - really a learning experience!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza

Not sure you did them any flavours, i mean favours, by posting a link to a website that's obviously under construction! :) The 'read more' link takes some beating!

Still, pretty close by to where i live, so i'll probably give them a look :D

Aitch

If you don't mind please report back. The only place I found that had outstanding pizza was in San Sai and recently closed. If this place receives a second vote of praise, even though it's a drive for me, I'll give it a try.

Totally give them a try, I loved Rigleys, especially as they were close to us, so this place is a great alternative!

You guessed it - Rigleys. Wow I miss that place.

Anyway I'll give Pizza Rustica a shot. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

They used to be great but the writing was on the wall when the last two visits they didn't have mushrooms :angry: That was maybe two months ago, haven't been back since! Sorry to here they've closed as it was good pizza.

Mr. Chans and Ms Pauline's. True Thai/New Yorkers. Great pizza.

Ate there a few weeks ago - Standard Thai-pizza with stingy topping and under-cooked dough. bah.gif

Get REAL NY-pizza, go a further down Canal rd to the Samoeng intersection and try Pizza & Pasta - BEST

Thus far, the Duke's has impressed me with their pizza but tonight I went to Sahara and had a cheese pizza (and for just 99 baht). It was pretty incredible. Thin-crust, didn't skimp on the cheese AT ALL. Seasoned well. I have to say I'm pretty excited to find it, and the price tag is absurd.

Sometimes, I just crave it. Nice to have the option.

Ate there a few weeks ago - Standard Thai-pizza with stingy topping and under-cooked dough. bah.gif

Get REAL NY-pizza, go a further down Canal rd to the Samoeng intersection and try Pizza & Pasta - BEST

"Mr. Chans and Ms Pauline's. True Thai/New Yorkers. Great pizza."

Uhhh New Yorkers??? This is a partnership with the family that owns Pizzamania. I'm relatively certain that the other partners are Thais as well. Nothing "New York" about it. The pizza is fairly typical Thai pizza. It's not bad but nothing to write home about. The owners are very nice people.

Uhhh New Yorkers??? This is a partnership with the family that owns Pizzamania. I'm relatively certain that the other partners are Thais as well. Nothing "New York" about it. The pizza is fairly typical Thai pizza. It's not bad but nothing to write home about. The owners are very nice people.

The owner (Mr. Chan) has a Thai father and a Finnish mother, but was born and raised in the Swedish town of Uppsala. (His mother and his sister, Ms. Pauline, still live in Sweden.) Certainly not New Yorkers but not very Thai either :rolleyes:

/ Priceless

The owner (Mr. Chan) has a Thai father and a Finnish mother, but was born and raised in the Swedish town of Uppsala. (His mother and his sister, Ms. Pauline, still live in Sweden.) Certainly not New Yorkers but not very Thai either :rolleyes:

/ Priceless

I stand corrected. Interesting, thanks for that. :jap:

A few people I know fell for that line quite a while ago, but were very disappointed when they actually visited Pizza-n-Pasta. I would put it about on par with Paradise Pizza which is in the "OK for Thailand" category.

The Pizza Rusica shop smelled great, but was not much better than Paradise Pizza either.

Went to Koh Lanta last night, but, to my amazement at 9 p.m. on a Tuesday, it was packed! With a large group having arrived just before us we didn't stay fearing a long wait.

Went to Sahara instead. The total opposite applied; it was deserted. What is wrong with the place? Someone obviously spent money on doing it up nicely, the menu is good and the food is OK(had Kebab and burger) and ridiculously cheap (though alcohol is not so cheap, but not expensive for the area either.) Service was largely OK too. Am I missing something or do they have a problem with ghosts?

Went to Koh Lanta last night, but, to my amazement at 9 p.m. on a Tuesday, it was packed! With a large group having arrived just before us we didn't stay fearing a long wait.

Went to Sahara instead. The total opposite applied; it was deserted. What is wrong with the place? Someone obviously spent money on doing it up nicely, the menu is good and the food is OK(had Kebab and burger) and ridiculously cheap (though alcohol is not so cheap, but not expensive for the area either.) Service was largely OK too. Am I missing something or do they have a problem with ghosts?

I thought it was odd, too. We were there around 6 pm and there were only a few other tables.

A few people I know fell for that line quite a while ago, but were very disappointed when they actually visited Pizza-n-Pasta. I would put it about on par with Paradise Pizza which is in the "OK for Thailand" category.

The Pizza Rusica shop smelled great, but was not much better than Paradise Pizza either.

I must agree with you UG, regarding Pizza-n-Pasta. I thought the tomato topping tasted as if it had just come out of the tomato paste concentrate can and spread on the bread base directly from there.

I do enjoy the Dukes pizza, but only in the restaurant its self, as usually too soggy by the time it gets home. I also like the Pizza at Gorgio's just beyond Pantip Plaza on Chang klan, thin and crispy base.

Edited by mickmac

My vote would go for

1. Dukes

2. Beccofino (near monkey club)

I must agree with you UG, regarding Pizza-n-Pasta. I thought the tomato topping tasted as if it had just come out of the tomato paste concentrate can and spread on the bread base directly from there.

I do enjoy the Dukes pizza, but only in the restaurant its self, as usually too soggy by the time it gets home. I also like the Pizza at Gorgio's just beyond Pantip Plaza on Chang klan, thin and crispy base.

I went to Pizza-n-Pasta more than a year ago. Quite possibly the worst pizza I ever experienced. I went after reading about it on another thread. What a disappointment. :bah:

The pizza that is consistently terrific is the thin-crusted pizza at the Italian restaurant on Sunday Walking St. just past Black Canyon Coffee on the same side of the street.

Edited by venturalaw