Pizza Rustica Is The Best Pizza In Chiang Mai!

CLASBYCLAN

Main thing that I didn't like about the place is that they don't refrigerated their beer. On two visits it was the same each time "sorry our refrigerator broken" and the beer was so warm that even adding ice cubes (somehow they do have enough refrideration to be able to keep ice cubes in the shop) was really enough to get it into the right temp range. The pizza wasn't anything to write home about either - for instance a "pizza with sausage" there means "pizza topped with a chopped up hotdog". Overall, it's a very Thai-style Italian place.

You quoted my post so I am assuming you mean Mama Mia's?

If so I would have to disagree 100%

In my opinion

Food is Italian not Thai Style

Drinks are cold enough not to even need ice.

I was there 2 nights ago & many times before

Could there be more than 1 Mama Mia's?

As an aside I nave never in my life heard of beer so warm that ice could not cool it smile.png

No, it's the same Mama Mia, on the road to Mae Jo out past Meechock. There was another thread praising the place on ThaiVisa not long ago too. Just don't get it, but maybe it's the best available in Mae Jo.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's the same Mama Mia, on the road to Mae Jo out past Meechock. There was another thread praising the place on ThaiVisa not long ago too. Just don't get it, but maybe it's the best available in Mae Jo.

That sounds like the same then.

I am surprised though as your experience is so opposite ours.

Where would you say does have the best pizza you have had in Chiang Mai?

Where would you say does have the best pizza you have had in Chiang Mai?

If he says the Duke's, I will know that we are on the same page.

IMHO, Butter is Better also has really good pizza that reminds me a lot of home. The crust is not as good as in the USA (maybe because they do not have a real pizza oven?), but it is better than most available locally and the sauce tastes genuine. The negatives for some people are that they only sell by the slice and only have one or two toppings. Personally, I prefer either a plain cheese pizza or pepperoni and mushrooms, so I am almost covered (no mushrooms).

• Like 1

IMHO, Butter is Better also has really good pizza that reminds me a lot of home. The crust is not as good as in the USA (maybe because they do not have a real pizza oven?), but it is better than most available locally and the sauce tastes genuine. The negatives for some people are that they only sell by the slice and only have one or two toppings. Personally, I prefer either a plain cheese pizza or pepperoni and mushrooms, so I am almost covered (no mushrooms).

I will have to try BB by the slice some time.

I have started going there once in awhile for Banana Pancakes & sometimes a BLT

Both things were very good.

A lot of things are excellent there. Have you tried the corn beef and pastrami (and brownies and cheese Danish and so on....)?

No so far only the pancakes, bacon & BLT

I will have to try those others you mention.

I did see a guy eating what must have been a meatloaf or meat ball sandwich.

Looked quite delicious too.

Also I have seen their pastries & they look great but I am trying not to

get started on those :lol:

Those brownies though...they keep calling my name when ever I am checking out

since the register is right next to them. It is only a matter of time I'm sure

I love an old nostalgia thread and do miss Rustica, they didn't do a bad Pizza and I like it Italian style thumbsup.gif Everyone raves about this and that place but most are either in the tourist district, or out in the boondocks somewhere; neither areas are attractive. Dunno about the best Pizza in Chiang Mai but my favourite in Santitham is at Radchada Cafe (just off the superhighway before Grandview hotel). Their original Pizzaiolo used to work at Guitar Man so they came from a good tradition.

Edited by Paagai
  • Like 1

I love an old nostalgia thread and do miss Rustica, they didn't do a bad Pizza and I like it Italian style thumbsup.gif Everyone raves about this and that place but most are either in the tourist district, or out in the boondocks somewhere; neither areas are attractive. Dunno about the best Pizza in Chiang Mai but my favourite in Santitham is at Radchada Cafe (just off the superhighway before Grandview hotel). Their original Pizzaiolo used to work at Guitar Man so they came from a good tradition.

Thanks for confirming that Rustica has actually closed. Bummer, pretty good they were too.

Thanks for the other tips. Will check them out.

• 2 weeks later...

My vote (as previously mentioned on TV) is also Mama Mia for pizza. Not Thai style for sure and also does not skimp on cost of ingredients esp. for the price they are charging.

Whether it's Thai-style might depend upon what you order. Try their sausage pizza sometime and you'll observe that it's actually a hotdog pizza,

Too bad I can't share my home made pizza with you... sour dough crust, lots of meat and veggies on top and heaps of chedder and mozzarella cheese. I'm going to pig out on it tomorrow while watching the football games on television.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Pizza_010.sized.jpg

Saved me saying it. The best pizzas I've ever tasted are the ones I make myself. They probably take ten years off my life but you only live once.

New York Pizza n Pasta has by far the best tasting pizza in Chiang Mai. I was born in New York and this pizza is legitimately *good*. If you want good New York style pizza then go here. I am personally a huge fan of the thin crust. It is not cheap though, although not too bad. A 20 inch pizza will set you back about 700 baht.

Pepe's in New Haven

I have been here many times and this is fantastic pizza. NY Pizza and pasta isn't quite this good but it is really good... just to show you that we likely have similar taste. I am *really* confused how you can say that Pizza Company has good pizza, by comparison, since I won't even eat at the pizza company. I definitely wouldn't eat at Paradise Pizza again, either.

The Dukes has the second best pizza I've had and it is okay by comparison (and I love most everything else at the dukes).

I've been to many of the other places being mentioned in this thread and I have to say that many of those options are downright awful. I won't say which ones because that is probably breaking the rules. I am even so skeptical that I have to wonder if these people are friends of owners or something in some cases... the pizza was just terrible. I mean I'd rather have a 4 dollar frozen pizza from back home in many cases.

Edited by drnkurmlkshk

New York Pizza n Pasta has by far the best tasting pizza in Chiang Mai.

I went with a friend way back when and would say that it was about on par with Paradise Pizza - a little better than a typical pizza in Thailand - but my buddy was really disappointed. I wonder if the problem is being consistant about quality as from time to time someone really compliments the place.

My personal opinion is that Pizza Hut would be really good (for Thailand) if they had a standard New York crust instead of the atypical ones that they have. I don't understand why the New York crust is not available in Thailand.

Edited by Ulysses G.

New York Pizza n Pasta has by far the best tasting pizza in Chiang Mai. I was born in New York and this pizza is legitimately *good*. If you want good New York style pizza then go here. I am personally a huge fan of the thin crust. It is not cheap though, although not too bad. A 20 inch pizza will set you back about 700 baht.

Pepe's in New Haven

I have been here many times and this is fantastic pizza. NY Pizza and pasta isn't quite this good but it is really good... just to show you that we likely have similar taste. I am *really* confused how you can say that Pizza Company has good pizza, by comparison, since I won't even eat at the pizza company. I definitely wouldn't eat at Paradise Pizza again, either.

The Dukes has the second best pizza I've had and it is okay by comparison (and I love most everything else at the dukes).

I've been to many of the other places being mentioned in this thread and I have to say that many of those options are downright awful. I won't say which ones because that is probably breaking the rules. I am even so skeptical that I have to wonder if these people are friends of owners or something in some cases... the pizza was just terrible. I mean I'd rather have a 4 dollar frozen pizza from back home in many cases.

Have to agree that for Pepe's in New Haven to be mentioned in the same breath as Pizza Company is a but odd, but maybe it's a misunderstanding caused by replying to a multiple of post all at once. Though one of the oldest pizzerias in the US, Pepe's is not at all typical of American nor of "New York" pizza. That might be because the place is run by Greek immigrants rather than by Italians. People that don't like it are generally New Yorkers who have some place back home that they don't want to betray and people from other states who grew up on Pizza Hut. But here in Thailand? Since we're not exactly spoiled for choices here I'm not shocked that some people think that Pizza Hut and Pizza Company are just fine.

I've posted on an earlier thread, I think, that 'sausage' at Mama Mia's is the bland plain sausage sold all about. I vaguely recall (my usual mode of late) that it is toward the end of the pizza listiings on the menu (avoiding pineapple and the like) that one arrives at a meat, perhaps 'Italian' something, that has character - some flavour to it.

At the tables they offer olive oil with peppers floating within. I add this and enjoy a lively pizza more.

Will not deny that I enjoy Duke's. I believe that it is best for warming at home too (cheese), in an oven (crust) of course.

Firmly hold that all pizzas are unhealthy for me, excepting cheeseless vegetarian ones, which are not pizzas at all, at all.

Pepe's in New Haven

Have to agree that for Pepe's in New Haven to be mentioned in the same breath as Pizza Company is a but odd, but maybe it's a misunderstanding caused by replying to a multiple of post all at once. Though one of the oldest pizzerias in the US, Pepe's is not at all typical of American nor of "New York" pizza. That might be because the place is run by Greek immigrants rather than by Italians. People that don't like it are generally New Yorkers who have some place back home that they don't want to betray and people from other states who grew up on Pizza Hut. But here in Thailand? Since we're not exactly spoiled for choices here I'm not shocked that some people think that Pizza Hut and Pizza Company are just fine.

Pepe's is not at all typical of American nor of "New York" pizza. That might be because the place is run by Greek immigrants rather than by Italians

From Pepe's web site --- Frank Pepe Pizzeria was founded in 1925 by Frank Pepe (b. April 15, 1893 d. September 6, 1969). Born in the town of Maiori, on the Amalfi coast, southwest of Naples, Frank Pepe was the quintessential Italian immigrant.

Frank Pepe originated the New Haven-style thin crust pizza which he baked in bread ovens fired by coke

From Wikipedia - Pepe's was founded in 1925 by Frank Pepe (April 15, 1893 – September 6, 1969), an Italian immigrant. Pepe was born in Maiori, Italy, and immigrated to New Haven in 1909 at the age of 17. The quintessential Wooster Square Italian immigrant

" New Haven style from Italian immigrants - the best -- Pepe's, Sally's , Modern etc New Haven Style the best -- ask Frank Sinatra Bill Clinton Ronald Reagan on and on and on - in their time they all stopped in the Italian section

absolutely no comparison here ( I won't mention New York also )

Pepe's in New Haven

Pepe's is not at all typical of American nor of "New York" pizza. That might be because the place is run by Greek immigrants rather than by Italians

From Pepe's web site --- Frank Pepe Pizzeria was founded in 1925 by Frank Pepe (b. April 15, 1893 d. September 6, 1969). Born in the town of Maiori, on the Amalfi coast, southwest of Naples, Frank Pepe was the quintessential Italian immigrant.

Frank Pepe originated the New Haven-style thin crust pizza which he baked in bread ovens fired by coke

From Wikipedia - Pepe's was founded in 1925 by Frank Pepe (April 15, 1893 – September 6, 1969), an Italian immigrant. Pepe was born in Maiori, Italy, and immigrated to New Haven in 1909 at the age of 17. The quintessential Wooster Square Italian immigrant

" New Haven style from Italian immigrants - the best -- Pepe's, Sally's , Modern etc New Haven Style the best -- ask Frank Sinatra Bill Clinton Ronald Reagan on and on and on - in their time they all stopped in the Italian section

absolutely no comparison here ( I won't mention New York also )

OK, I stand corrected. I thought that he was Greek. Great pizza either way though, and generally a revelation to people who travel to New haven for the first time. But it, and Modern, are also head & shoulders above almost anywhere else in the area.

Edited by AngelsLariat

WOW what a trip!! Talking about New Haven pizza on the Chiang Mai forum! For all of you that do not know the city of New Haven is in the state of Connecticut USA - home of Yale University , the school of Bill and Hillary, father and son Bush ,Chaney ( but he dropped out ) and on and on all of whom know the Italian section -- worked in the city for 30 years

WOW what a trip!! Talking about New Haven pizza on the Chiang Mai forum! For all of you that do not know the city of New Haven is in the state of Connecticut USA - home of Yale University , the school of Bill and Hillary, father and son Bush ,Chaney ( but he dropped out ) and on and on all of whom know the Italian section -- worked in the city for 30 years

This is what Pepe's looks like:

65804_160564483989070_8091937_n.jpg

155322_160563780655807_179024_n.jpg