Import Duties From The Uk

Mercury

Marks and Spencer have the ability to deliver directly to Thailand but they are non too precise on what happens after they take your money in the UK. Their link is here http://www.marksandspencer.com/Internation...ery/b/183243031

Their T&C also say "Please note that products are sold on a DDU (Delivery Duty unpaid) basis. Additional taxes, fees or levies may apply according to local legislation." and this is where I lose the ability to understand just what is being offered.

What I don't want is some grubby Thai customs thief performing his version of highway robbery.

Any ideas ?

It is a risk, goods might be delayed, or have a customs charge. Better to find goods locally in my opinion.

And Thailand is NOT included in the main section, it is included in the second section...

You can also place orders in participating UK stores only for deliveries to the destinations listed below:

.... Thailand ..

In other words your Mum will have to:

- Go into one of the participating M&S stores,

- Choose your Tie,

- Pay for it,

- And pay an extra £15 for them to deliver it to Thailand.

Hardly seems worth it.

btw, the delivery does not seem to include food, so no Christmas pud :)

Edited by davee58

It is a risk, goods might be delayed, or have a customs charge. Better to find goods locally in my opinion.

And Thailand is NOT included in the main section, it is included in the second section...

You can also place orders in participating UK stores only for deliveries to the destinations listed below:

.... Thailand ..

- Choose your Tie,

- Pay for it,

Hardly seems worth it.

Why do you try to make out like I am some form of idiot ? The link I gave points it all out and does not need your childish blue highlighting. Never did I mention my mum either. Or a tie.

What you deem worth it does not matter. M&S is coming back to me with a written answer to some questions but the issue at hand is the Thai import duties when the packing will come from Amazon, on whose sales platform all M&S internet traffic and delivery systems now reside.

If I save the current 15% VAT (17.5% from 01/01/10) and they can be shipped net, then we have 15% in hand to offset the £15 delivery charge, which you have failed to notice is currently free over £90 and contribute to any import duties.

I guess the problem will come with them probably listing the insured value as the retail cost and then Thai customs wanting tax on that amount.

I see figures of 60% tax, anyone care to comment ?

I recently ordered the two new Beatles CD box sets from Amazon in the USA (much cheaper than in the UK). Total cost including shipping and handling was $420.95 (GBP 264). It was delivered in two parcels, the value noted on the outside. No customs charges whatsoever. Hope this helps.

.... Thailand ..

- Choose your Tie,

- Pay for it,

Hardly seems worth it.

Why do you try to make out like I am some form of idiot ? The link I gave points it all out and does not need your childish blue highlighting. Never did I mention my mum either. Or a tie.

What you deem worth it does not matter. M&S is coming back to me with a written answer to some questions but the issue at hand is the Thai import duties when the packing will come from Amazon, on whose sales platform all M&S internet traffic and delivery systems now reside.

If I save the current 15% VAT (17.5% from 01/01/10) and they can be shipped net, then we have 15% in hand to offset the £15 delivery charge, which you have failed to notice is currently free over £90 and contribute to any import duties.

I guess the problem will come with them probably listing the insured value as the retail cost and then Thai customs wanting tax on that amount.

They think of a number and double it.. I once had to pay 12000 baht on a 4000 baht purchase item !!

Sales tax is 7% luxury goods tax is 30% special special items can attract all manner of add on taxes, and these are all compounded and applied to the goods AND the shipping cost.

Couriers I find tend to charge for any and everything, just regular parcel post often comes through cheaper and if marked at under 20 USD I think is supposed to come through free.

Unless its absolutely necessary avoid the process, I buy a lot of mail order overseas stuff and its fraught with missing packages, frustrations, customs rip offs etc.

Marks and Spencer have the ability to deliver directly to Thailand but they are non too precise on what happens after they take your money in the UK. Their link is here http://www.marksandspencer.com/Internation...ery/b/183243031

Their T&C also say "Please note that products are sold on a DDU (Delivery Duty unpaid) basis. Additional taxes, fees or levies may apply according to local legislation." and this is where I lose the ability to understand just what is being offered.

What I don't want is some grubby Thai customs thief performing his version of highway robbery.

Any ideas ?

He is my solution.....Go to Central Lat Pra in BKK, these is a Marks there, with food availible... :)

That will stop the grubby Thai customs perfoming his highway robbery... :D

Mercury, certainly no attempt to make you look like an idiot, fairly obviously you are not. :)

And the "Blue Highlighting" is because the M&S site uses "Blue Highlighting Reverse Image" for that text, I was unable to simulate the "Reverse Image".

Your Mum, or Brother, or a friend will be needed because as I pointed out delivery to Thailand is only available if somebody goes to one of the selected M&S stores, and pays instore for delivery to Thailand, Hence it seems more appropriate for a gift. You did not mention that fact.

Ties and Christmas puds (food) were the first things I thought of when I think of M&S. You do not indicate what you want from M&S, so I picked those as examples.

What do you want to buy? If you are going for the £90 free delivery, thats one heck of a lot of socks! :D

Cheers

Dave