Sony Psp 3000

universe2000

I read in an older post that the Sony PSP 3000 in Thailand is sold refurbished (not new). Supposedly it comes from a factory in Japan refurbished and the sellers in Thailand sell them as new. The post mentioned that buying in Malaysia is cheaper and the unit is brand new.

1) Is there any validity to this claim?

2) Does it matter if I buy the Sony PSP at MBK or at an electronics store in Pattaya?

3) The online price in the US is about $176 which is about 6,000 baht. Any feedback on what the prices are in Thailand?

4) Is there a need to get any special software installed or just use the downloads from the Sony site?

Thanks

• 11 months later...

1. No

2. No

3. I've seen 7,000 - 8,500, with the higher price including more stuff (8 GB memory card), and possibly Custom Firmware (CFW).

4. No.

You should familiarize yourself with the platform, various firmware revisions and any need to run custom firmware (e.g. PSPHACKS). Personally I would buy in the U.S. as it is more like 5,500 baht (MSRP is $169.99 which is ~ 5,350-ish), but this may not be an option unless you go back to the U.S. often. I'd say most of the shops in MBK are reliable, Saphan Lek less so. Hamoto Game is ultra-reliable. IME.