BBQ Thailand

Maigo6

RE cast iron and no rust: huh???

Due to the high carbon content of cast irons +/- 2.5%, Cast Iron will superfically oxidise, the oxidation layer formed protects the surface from further attack, therefore if a "cast iron" BBQ rusts through in 2 years, it aint cast iron... :) ...Cast iron is a completely different beast from mallable type irons....

Granted cast irons may eventually corrode through, but typically takes 40-50 years as a rule of thumb, as good example cast iron water pipes and sewer pipes have been dug up after 40-50 years and they are just as good as the day they where installed...

Trust this answers your question...

RE Weber available in Thailand: where???

http://www.truevalue.co.th/product.php?id=109

Thanks for the link - I never heard of this before - maybe check it out some time. (must be new within the last year though?) BUT - at triple the US price, I guess I'll be happy with my 40K baht China made grill (that is pretty good - but not a Weber).

Cheers

Due to the high carbon content of cast irons +/- 2.5%, Cast Iron will superfically oxidise, the oxidation layer formed protects the surface from further attack, therefore if a "cast iron" BBQ rusts through in 2 years, it aint cast iron... :) ...Cast iron is a completely different beast from mallable type irons....

Granted cast irons may eventually corrode through, but typically takes 40-50 years as a rule of thumb, as good example cast iron water pipes and sewer pipes have been dug up after 40-50 years and they are just as good as the day they where installed...

I trust you have never owned a cast iron BBQ. Cheers.

Thanks for the link - I never heard of this before - maybe check it out some time. (must be new within the last year though?) BUT - at triple the US price, I guess I'll be happy with my 40K baht China made grill (that is pretty good - but not a Weber).

Cheers

I have been here (Pattaya) since late 2006, True Value had them then.

I agree though, dam_n pricey, hence i have not bought one.

A good gas BBQ grill must be stainless steel grill (or titanium, etc.) and they cost at least 40K baht in Thailand. The cast iron ones will rust out in less than 2 years. Look at Weber (not sold in Thailand) for the best quality and try to get something like that.

Bank,

I have ordered from here, http://www.gasbbqthailand.com/page/bbq.html

Stainless and the boss is American, and apparantly a bit of a perfectionist.

I bought mine from Doc, great BBQ good service and real nice guy. :)

Obviously either have you....as stated previously a real cast iron BBQ will not corrode through in two years under normal use...if you care to debate the metallurgical side of my arguement, I am game...

Obviously either have you....as stated previously a real cast iron BBQ will not corrode through in two years under normal use...if you care to debate the metallurgical side of my arguement, I am game...

Look, this topic is about BBQ gas grills - not metallurgy (which I could debate but don't care to). Cast iron is a great cooking medium but it DOES rust and eventually (yes, within a few years) corrodes to almost nothing unless you go through what I consider pain in the ass measures to treat every time you cook. Anyway... I was just trying to offer my exerperience with gas grills and this will end my comments. Cheers.

Got an address Doc? I might drop in and have a look next visa run.

Hi Krading, thanks for posting.

Sure do have an address, sorry for the delay in responding, super busy and haven't checked this thread in a few days.

We do not have a retail store as we're primary a web based biz, this keeps end costs down, which is good for all.

We bring stock, when available, to our home from factory for display and sale.

Many fellas and their families have dropped by to view and purchase. Some have actually flown in, all are treated as old friends.

If you'd care to have a directions map of our home sent you, please go to our website, www.gasbbqthailand.com

Go to, Contact Page, and drop a line. I'll respond promptly with a map for you.

Thanks again,

My best,

Doc

Edited by docta

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an action shot of one of Doc's gas barbecues. We used it at the Loy Krathong festival last night. It cooked for over 6 hours straight on full blast without blinking. We sold almost 8,000 baht of sausage and bbq sticks, thanks Doc. Now if only you could make it self cleaning..

post-70457-1257236235_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gippy

I just let other people do the cooking. I wander around with my sniffer working over time and when I smell barbequed piglet I just invite myself in for a meal. Works every time... but I DO get some strange looks once in a while... :):D:D

Barbeque_pig.jpg

Sorry guys...When people start taking about gas BBQ's I start looking for the door, call me a tradtionalist if you will, but real wood is the ony way to go with a BBQ or at a real push decent charcoal..

Gas BBQ's....why bother...??

I'm with you on this one, Soutpeel. Nothing like a "dooringbos" braai, with a couple of Black Labels and some boerewors and pap. The "Traditional" way to BBQ.

Sorry guys...When people start taking about gas BBQ's I start looking for the door, call me a tradtionalist if you will, but real wood is the ony way to go with a BBQ or at a real push decent charcoal..

Gas BBQ's....why bother...??

I'm with you on this one, Soutpeel. Nothing like a "dooringbos" braai, with a couple of Black Labels and some boerewors and pap. The "Traditional" way to BBQ.

F*kc me completely forgotten about Black Label been too many years.....Just had a wors sandwich not 30 minutes ago.. :)

I also have the SS Delux from Doc. Excellent machine, and a work of art too.

I used it last Xmas to roast my Turkey and trimmings, and will do the same again this year.

You can't go wrong with one of these.

Cheers,

Mike

P.S. Mine is self-cleaning - or seems to be. I use it in the evening, the next morning it is already clean :)