Registration Of Lawful Marriage In Home Country

david96

Many people marry under the Thai Legal System so why do they "register" their legal

marriage in their home country. What are the advantages or disadvantages of doing this?

I personally prefer the Thai system to the system in Australia for example.

Your marriage is legally recognised anyway, and you both have documents to prove it.

Are sure many go to the trouble of registering in thier home country? You have answereed your own question anyway as the marriage is legal and recognised in Australia even though registered in Thailand. All you need is a certified translation of the marriage certificate.

Are sure many go to the trouble of registering in thier home country? You have answereed your own question anyway as the marriage is legal and recognised in Australia even though registered in Thailand. All you need is a certified translation of the marriage certificate.

Right in every respect. Australia has no legal requirement for any form of registration of a Thai marriage.

But some do in the USA and the UK perhaps NZ but why? For their childrens sake? That it may be socially more

desirable? Easier to obtain a divorce in the future? there could be a number of reasons.

I can not think of any logical reason that comes to mind.

But some do in the USA and the UK perhaps NZ but why? For their childrens sake? That it may be socially more

desirable? Easier to obtain a divorce in the future? there could be a number of reasons.

This may be the real reason.

When one is married under the Thai Commercial and Civil Code and lives in his home country

the marriage is legally recognised as a lawful marriage, but what if they divorce? The requirements are different. My understanding is that if you register your marriage in your home country you become liable to the divorce laws of your country, and this is important where property settlement may have to be negotiated.

In other words. marry and divorce in the same country.

Neither can I. We didn't; we took a notarized marriage certificate English translation (and the original) to the US and had absolutely no problems at any time with property ownership, military dependent status, civilian employer dependent status (for company medical benefits, etc.), and SSA benefits. All the Thai couples that we know that did the same thing have had the same experience we have had.

If you add up all the years we and our friends have lived this way, we would be talking about at least 200 years of experience (conservatively).

The sole benefit of registering a marriage in the UK is if you are living in the UK and you want a copy of your wedding certificate then they will issue it for you.

No other benefits whatsoever and of course you have to lodge your original certificate with them so you lose the possession of that as well.

HL :)

The sole benefit of registering a marriage in the UK is if you are living in the UK and you want a copy of your wedding certificate then they will issue it for you.

No other benefits whatsoever and of course you have to lodge your original certificate with them so you lose the possession of that as well.

HL :)

And that is ONE very good reason NOT to register your marriage with the UK authorities.

Just use certified copies and certified translations of your Thai documentation. Photocopies.

Maybe I am one of the few guys here seeing advantages in the registration of my marriage within my home country. I'm not British or American and I'm not a citizen of an EU country - I'm just just a citizen of a small European country located in the heart of Europe...

Without proper registration at home my marriage officially doesn't exist for the authorities in my country. Without being married the Visa procedures for my wife would be an awful burden everytime we want to visit my family and friends. We travel there once or twice a year and she enjoys it very much. Now she gets a multiple entry 6 month visa within 1 day and without fees. Without being married I would have to officially sponsor her and give evidence of a fat bank account back home or find someone else who would register as her sponsor - that procedure can take months.

In case I would want to relocate back together with her she could not easily get even a residence permit without our marriage being registered properly.

I have no assets and no bank account back where I came from and I would not have any problem to give her 50% of all assets I acquired in Thailand since we married.

Maybe I am one of the few guys here seeing advantages in the registration of my marriage within my home country. I'm not British or American and I'm not a citizen of an EU country - I'm just just a citizen of a small European country located in the heart of Europe...

Without proper registration at home my marriage officially doesn't exist for the authorities in my country. Without being married the Visa procedures for my wife would be an awful burden everytime we want to visit my family and friends. We travel there once or twice a year and she enjoys it very much. Now she gets a multiple entry 6 month visa within 1 day and without fees. Without being married I would have to officially sponsor her and give evidence of a fat bank account back home or find someone else who would register as her sponsor - that procedure can take months.

In case I would want to relocate back together with her she could not easily get even a residence permit without our marriage being registered properly.

I have no assets and no bank account back where I came from and I would not have any problem to give her 50% of all assets I acquired in Thailand since we married.

And here we have one very good reason to register your marriage in ones home country, that is if they permit it.

And here we have one very good reason to register your marriage in ones home country, that is if they permit it.

So we should all do the same when there is absolutly no reason to do it in most countries? What country is in the middle of Europe and not part of the EU? Sounds like a rather odd place and the guy doesn't even want to name his country.

Why waste time doing something that really has no reason to be done?

So we should all do the same when there is absolutly no reason to do it in most countries? What country is in the middle of Europe and not part of the EU? Sounds like a rather odd place and the guy doesn't even want to name his country.

Why waste time doing something that really has no reason to be done?

I didn't say that all should do the same. Where do you read that? I just explained why it is a big advantage for us to have our marriage duly registered in Thailand and in my home country. If you don't understand the advantage then just read my post again.

What is valid for the country where I come from might not be valid for your country - but I'm not letting myself down to your style and claim that the country you are coming from is odd - just because it's different.

I also believe that for all Schengen countries - and these are more countries than the anglophonic ones mentioned so far - more or less the same I described above is valid.

If you don't know which country is in the middle of Europe but is famous for defending its neutrality and therefore not being part of an organization like the EU then go and buy a children's encyclopedia and look up what they are writing about Switzerland.

Edited by TallForeigner

Why do I need to register? How do I register my marriage?

Under Thai law, marriages must be registered with Thai authorities to be legally recognised. A valid notarised Thai marriage will then be recognised in Australia. If you do not register a marriage with Thai authorities, you are not legally married in Thailand or Australia. The marriage must be registered at the Amphoe (or Town Hall), in the district where the marriage took place. In addition to the normal requirements (about which you should seek advice from the celebrant), each Australian party must provide their passport, and the followi

http://www.austembassy.or.th/bkok/Consular_P4.htmlng:

Without proper registration at home my marriage officially doesn't exist for the authorities in my country. Without being married the Visa procedures for my wife would be an awful burden everytime we want to visit my family and friends

same same for israel. if i divorce hubby, he has 24 hours to leave the country even if he has temp. residency now. common law marriage set ups here make life very very difficult for visa status when even marriage doesnt actually help a lot.

secondly, even if i married in thailand, i had to go thru my embassy, and register the marriage since in country we arent allowed mixed marriages unless it is a non jew with an other non jew mix (christian/muslem for instance and then they have to adhere to the muslem aspects) but two christians of whatever domination an marry and be registered.

and to divorce, even if i married over seas, i can only divorce thru the religious courts here.

so there are plenty of countries where it is a requirement, not all of us have the pleasure of living in australia.

as for benefits: here, especially when its mixed religioun/nationality, marriage is seen as more 'solid', 'proper' and permanent. it gives more social status and therefore officialdom sees u with a slightly 'better' eye.

bina

israel

as usual, dont bother to start with the comments about religioun/racism etc. i am stating facts. the reality of life for me and my husband. dont much care to discuss the rights/wrongs -- the thread is about marriage registration...

We should all remember that the legal systems are not all based on Anglo Saxon common law.

Many have Civil Law systems, some are based on Religious Law and some countries do not

legally recognise a foreign marriage so it has to be registered.

Many countries do not legally recognise "defacto" or "common law" marriages.

A good post by bina #14