Non-english International Driving Licence

kerr17

HI,

I'm just about to get my first Thai driving licence and I was wondering if I need to translate my Italian international driving licence in order not to make the driving test as stated here:

" Holders of valid international driving licences for personal cars or motorcycles, or valid driving licences of foreign countries, will be exempted from the written test and the driving test. However, to qualify for such exemption, such applicants must provide a copy of their licence with a translation in English or Thai and certified by their Embassy/Consulate. The copy should be submitted with the original licence and application."

I was pretty sure that an international driving licence didn't need any translation but I'm now confused after reading the above article (which probably refer just to valid driving licences of foreign countries).

Can anyone clarify please?

If you license is in english you do not need to translate it. Otherwise you can choose:either got to translate it to your embassy or take driving exams.

As for me the trip to PTT-BKK-PTT for translation would cost me 5000 baht. So I chose to take exam. I got car and moto licenses for about 400 baht.

HI,

I'm just about to get my first Thai driving licence and I was wondering if I need to translate my Italian international driving licence in order not to make the driving test as stated here:

" Holders of valid international driving licences for personal cars or motorcycles, or valid driving licences of foreign countries, will be exempted from the written test and the driving test. However, to qualify for such exemption, such applicants must provide a copy of their licence with a translation in English or Thai and certified by their Embassy/Consulate. The copy should be submitted with the original licence and application."

I was pretty sure that an international driving licence didn't need any translation but I'm now confused after reading the above article (which probably refer just to valid driving licences of foreign countries).

If you have a valid international drivers permit, it will already have multiple language translations, one of which will be an English language version.

HI,

What's your problem? I never had to make a driving test. If you're holding an International Italian one, it's also in English. Greetings to Al Capone....

HI,

What's your problem? I never had to make a driving test. If you're holding an International Italian one, it's also in English. Greetings to Al Capone....

my problem?????

My licence is obviously genuine but in the front page it state "Patente internazionale di guida" rather the international driving licence.

Inside all the details are in multiple languages but nowhere it states international driving licence.

I know it may sounds silly but I had similar problems before.

P.S. by the way Al Capone is American although was a son of Italian immigrants, you could have rather say Riina then.

does anyone knows if there is a specific times to go and apply or can I go anytime in the morning?

Edited by kerr17

does anyone knows if there is a specific times to go and apply or can I go anytime in the morning?

Ciao,

anytime but they have lunch break from 12.00 till 13.00

Ciao Grant and thanks for your reply.

I had mine yesterday morning.

I went in at about 9.20am and I was out at about 11am after all the test were made with the driving licence.

Really straightforward and easy I have to say although you need to understand well the reflex exams as it can get confusing.

Cheers

HI,

my problem?????

My licence is obviously genuine but in the front page it state "Patente internazionale di guida" rather the international driving licence.

Inside all the details are in multiple languages but nowhere it states international driving licence.

P.S. by the way Al Capone is American although was a son of Italian immigrants, you could have rather say Riina then.

Give "Google Translations" a try: http://translate.google.com/translate_t#

Do the translation yourself, then type it up nicely, bet that'd work fine.

If it really needs a "chop," use a cork from a congac bottle, some of these have real nice embossed logos on top that look pretty good.

Mac

HI,

All international driving licences in every country are issued in English with pages at the back with many different languages including Italian. (The International Driving Licence that I got at the land department in Bangkok is in English!!)

I think the writer means his Italian driving licence. International driving licences are valid for all countries except for the drivers place of residence, so if he got an international driving licence in Italy it would not be valid in that country. He he has one he can get a Thai driving licence without any translation because it is in English

HI,

my problem?????

Is it an IDP or an IDL..

I have never seen an IDP that did not have an english section.