Iphone Software Upgrade

PattayaParent

I have an iPhone with software version 1.1.4.

I want to know if it's safe an reliable to upgrade the version of it.

Any issues I should know about? Will upgrading lose all my contacts? notes? calender events? or is it smooth and painless (hahahaha)? Will I have to Jailbreak the phone again?

Is it even worth upgrading? Are there any added benefits?

Presuming I get this done in Tukcom or MBK how much would it cost? I presume they could JB the phone again if needed?

TIA.

I guess that's a rev 1 iPhone or a 3G. Both can be upgraded and jailbroken using free software from http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ you can upgrade all the way to 3.1.2. Just mentioning this, it's a 10 minute job so if they charge you more than a few hundred baht it's too much.

Apple's software ensures that you won't lose any contacts or anything else. You'll have to re-install all your jailbroken apps (Cydia) if you have any, and I guess they can do that for you too in the shop.

As to whether it's worth it: Unless you know some must have feature that you'd like, probably not. If you phone is working fine now, just leave it as it is. I upgraded for some features but my feeling is that the 1.1.x software was more stable and used less battery than the newer versions.

Thanks Nikster.

I've just read that link that you posted and it completely confuses me. I'm at a complete loss when it comes to this technical stuff which is why I'm in the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' brigade.

It's just that I went to a shop and asked about fully enabling the video camera application on the iphone as I'd been told it can be done and the shop told me that I have to upgrade to the latest software which I don't beleive.

The video app works fine with the original software but only for the 30 second time limit. So to my untechnical mind it should also work fully enabled without an upgrade?

Also I met someone with an iPhone last year that had the video app enabled, in what I thought was the same shop, and they obviously didn't have the current software, although I don't know what they started with and whether they had to upgrade to enable the video app.

So am I completely off base here in my thinking that it's not necessary to uprade the software to get a full functional video app?

Also the shop quoted 500 Baht to upgrade the software which from what you say sounds too much?

500 baht is a bit steep but OK. It saves you some hassle, but make sure they'll re-install all your apps.

As for Video, I am sure you have some sort of Cydia or 3rd party video app.

The official video camera is enabled only on the iPhone 3GS, the latest model. Software upgrades alone won't be enough there. You don't have a 3GS since you are running 1.1.4 and the 3GS only works with 3.0 and up.

See here, under camera - there's no mention of video:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs-3g.html

Whereas the 3GS specs show full VGA video recording:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

So the sad news is, you can't get the full video app. The good news is, there is no need for you to upgrade, you can save yourself 500 baht :)

The video is the iPhone video recorder, version 1.1.4.1 it says.

I downloaded it from the Installer that's on the iPhone.

And it works OK although the quality is not great but that could be 'cos of using it in indoor lighting. I haven't played around with it enough yet to figure out the best way.

Looking at the website info it's US$29.95 to upgrade to the full version (the download is limited to 30 minutes X 30 times) which works out to 700 Baht. So I'm thinking it's probably better to go with that than pay the 500 Baht and not know what could happen.

That's provided it will work with my iPhone.

It's just that I went to a shop and asked about fully enabling the video camera application on the iphone as I'd been told it can be done and the shop told me that I have to upgrade to the latest software which I don't beleive.

They're probably referring to Cycorder, which is what you'll be needing. Don't bother with anything else, particularly stuff you have to pay for as it's definitely not going to be any better than Cycorder. I don't believe Cycorder will work with your firmware. Easiest thing to do is just upgrade to 3.0 (unless you have a Mac or you want to use a custom IPSW - if you don't know what this means, definitely just upgrade to 3.0 or 3.01). It's easy, you can do it yourself, follow the instructions here (I'm assuming you have a 2G). Bear in mind, as nikster stated, you'll have to reinstall all your Cydia apps. You can resync all the other stuff using iTunes (sync before you restore to the new firmware obviously).

• 1 month later...

Well I was able to get the videorecorder to work without upgrading any iPhone firmware even though the stated requirement is 2.x or better.

I just downloaded a hack file from the Internet and copied it to the iPhone and have unlimited recording time.

Quality is OK considering as someone said it a 1.3 megapixel lens and I recorded in dim lighting conditions.

If you can be bothered to download a hack to get your video to work, I would definitely recommend upgrading the software.

Most Apps now from either installer or Itunes are not compatible with 1.1.4. Plus you will notice a lot of new features. Lateral keyboards, MMS, multi-recipient SMS, triangulation GSM location services.