Pai

The Mask

Prices for guesthouses and resorts range from around 50 baht for a cheapo bungalow to about 1,800 for a fully-equipped bungalow in a resort. I'd recommend Sun Hut. Go through town from Chiang Mai, turn right, over the river and it's on the right after about 400 yards from the bridge. Bungalows range from about 150 for a treehouse bungalow to 350 for the top-notch ones (low season rates at the mo). tel 053699730; owners, Ran and Orn (husband and wife). The Belle Villa Resort is out by the airport, west of town, and is the expensive one with pool mentioned earlier. Far more atmospheric is Tha Pai Spa Camping, about 7kms outside Pai. It is fed by the hot springs and has four pools with varying temperatures that go from comfortable to silly hot. Set right on the Mae Nam Pai river, it is very well landscaped but they have recently upped the prices of the cheapest, 600 baht bungalows to 900 baht. If you stay there, ask to be positioned away from the Israeli party whom are usually situated altogether and are extremely noisy. No joke, they are there every night. Tha Pai Spa Camping must have a deal with all of Israel because there's boatloads every evening that arrive after a long days' 4wd trek.

Nong Bia Restaurant for food and Bebop Cafe for drinking. Have a look at Pai Canyon for some sightseeing. Tom's Elephant Camp is near Tha Pai Spa Camping and they do hour treks or more up the hills or down the river. Don't expect loads of greenery this time of year though, as the slash n' burn artists have done away with it.

Edited by jackr

Prices for guesthouses and resorts range from around 50 baht for a cheapo bungalow to about 1,800 for a fully-equipped bungalow in a resort. I'd recommend Sun Hut. Go through town from Chiang Mai, turn right, over the river and it's on the right after about 400 yards from the bridge. Bungalows range from about 150 for a treehouse bungalow to 350 for the top-notch ones (low season rates at the mo). tel 053699730; owners, Ran and Orn (husband and wife). The Belle Villa Resort is out by the airport, west of town, and is the expensive one with pool mentioned earlier. Far more atmospheric is Tha Pai Spa Camping, about 7kms outside Pai. It is fed by the hot springs and has four pools with varying temperatures that go from comfortable to silly hot. Set right on the Mae Nam Pai river, it is very well landscaped but they have recently upped the prices of the cheapest, 600 baht bungalows to 900 baht. If you stay there, ask to be positioned away from the Israeli party whom are usually situated altogether and are extremely noisy. No joke, they are there every night. Tha Pai Spa Camping must have a deal with all of Israel because there's boatloads every evening that arrive after a long days' 4wd trek.

Nong Bia Restaurant for food and Bebop Cafe for drinking. Have a look at Pai Canyon for some sightseeing. Tom's Elephant Camp is near Tha Pai Spa Camping and they do hour treks or more up the hills or down the river. Don't expect loads of greenery this time of year though, as the slash n' burn artists have done away with it.

I am planning to go to Pai during Sonkran, will it be crazy there like Chiang Mai/Pattaya?

I am planning to go to Pai during Sonkran, will it be crazy there like Chiang Mai/Pattaya?

I expect it will be fairly jovial but not to the craziness of the aforementioned I wouldn't have thought.

I expect it will be fairly jovial but not to the craziness of the aforementioned I wouldn't have thought.

What sort of facilities does Sun Hut have?.

What sort of facilities does Sun Hut have?.

Can't you ask better than that? Give Google a go!

Sun hut is a good place

the owners value their quiet and will throw out (literally)

anybody who causes much of a ruckus

the accomodation there is simple but good

nice wooden bugalows some with attached bath

though personally i would recommend Eden guest house which is right next door to Sun hut and has a good feeling

keep in mind these are 'guest house' not a hotel

if you want 'hotel' i would recommmend 'pai mountain lodge' which is up by the waterfall bout 8 km out of town

nice quiet space

or somebody just opened what looks like a motel 6 plucked out of southern california complete with swimming pool and all. its a good place to stay if you want to pretend that you are not in thailand. it is called the 'blue lagoon'

and of course you get around by renting a motorbike

bout 100 bht a day, more for a big one - goto 'see yon' next to the bus station for a good bike

any other questions bout pai write me