Kindle

Trickcyclist

You can order books using your credit card on amazon now. Since they launched the international version.

I just ordered some books on the US Amazon site using a singapore credit card.

Never used to work.

Other option is just buy some amazon gift vouchers using your international credit card send them too another US Amazon account and buy there.

You can order books using your credit card on amazon now. Since they launched the international version.

I just ordered some books on the US Amazon site using a singapore credit card.

Never used to work.

Other option is just buy some amazon gift vouchers using your international credit card send them too another US Amazon account and buy there.

But can you order an actual Kindle from Thailand?

Not direct. You can if you use someone like shipito.com.

Or eBay seller that will ship here or kindlethai.com the latter being bloody expensive.

Keep an eye on Thai visa classifieds I've seen a few for sale on there before

Not direct. You can if you use someone like shipito.com.

Or eBay seller that will ship here or kindlethai.com the latter being bloody expensive.

Keep an eye on Thai visa classifieds I've seen a few for sale on there before

Thank you again. :):D

• 1 month later...
You can't get one delivered here, but book downloads do work in Thailand (in areas where you can get a GPRS/EDGE signal). Coverage does seem a bit patchy.

Interesting but my kindle 1 still cannot connect.

Kindle 1 (and the original US only version of Kindle 2) uses EVDO, but is tied to Sprint in the US.

It's only the International version of the Kindle 2 (3G-HSDPA but falls back to GPRS/EDGE) that works here (as far as I know).

Admittedly, technically, EVDO would work on the CAT data network in most of Thailand (apart from Bangkok / Pattaya, etc.), but I'm fairly sure that the Sprint contract with Amazon isn't set up with International roaming.

Edited by bkk_mike

• 10 months later...
You can't get one delivered here, but book downloads do work in Thailand (in areas where you can get a GPRS/EDGE signal). Coverage does seem a bit patchy.

Interesting but my kindle 1 still cannot connect.

I got my kindle from Amazon UK, a friend brought it to Thailand for me. I have already bought about a dozen titles from Amazon UK and downloaded them with no problem in my condo (Bangkok) using I assume the wireless signal as it is not linked to my home internet connection. I have been amazed at how fast they appear on the device. One of the best things I have bought. if you like reading books then you will love this. Why didn't they invent it before I had my bookcase built and installed?

Edited by pitrevie

Last week I received my Kindle DX 3g direct from Amazon. It arrived in three days by dhl with a fixed prepaid import charge.

How much was the import tax?

About $80 from memory....go the website and put a mock order in and you will see it. Main thing is it is upfront and you cannot pay more.

Last week I received my Kindle DX 3g direct from Amazon. It arrived in three days by dhl with a fixed prepaid import charge.

How much was the import tax?

About $80 from memory....go the website and put a mock order in and you will see it. Main thing is it is upfront and you cannot pay more.

Thanks for that. But what a rip off Thai customs are.

Is there anywhere in Thailand that has eReaders? I looked in Pantip the other day, but I didn't see anything. I'm surprised that Sony doesn't have their PRS-650 on display there. Has anyone seen any place in Bangkok that has them? I'd look around in MBK and Fortune Town, but I live on the west end of the river, so I don't go downtown very often.

Is there anywhere in Thailand that has eReaders? I looked in Pantip the other day, but I didn't see anything. I'm surprised that Sony doesn't have their PRS-650 on display there. Has anyone seen any place in Bangkok that has them? I'd look around in MBK and Fortune Town, but I live on the west end of the river, so I don't go downtown very often.

A friend bought a Kindle yesterday in Bangkok, after looking at the Thailand website. He said the man was extremely helpful, demonstrated 2 models and explained everything in good English and Thai to him and his wife, and downloaded a truck load of books for him too.

Sorry I don't have better details, but as i said, he went to the location after reading and contacting the Thailand website, that he had Googled.

Elwood

Just found this site.

Kindle Thailand

It is now dearer to buy from them than direct.

But once you factor in the import tax and shipping costs if you order from the US it seems about the same as from the Bangkok supplier.

Kindle DX 3g ordered from Kindle two weeks ago $488US delivered to door taxes paid in 3 days. =

Kindle DX 3g from website in thailand ฿17,900.00plus deivery.

Very small diference for you maybe but for me that is a lot of other pleasures..

Ok Harry, that is a significant enough price difference. So I assume from the amazon website that if you paid $488 and the DX price is $379 and priority shipping is $14.99 then you must have paid $94 in tax.

Ok Harry, that is a significant enough price difference. So I assume from the amazon website that if you paid $488 and the DX price is $379 and priority shipping is $14.99 then you must have paid $94 in tax.

Correct... They have a system where if the tas is less (it will not be) they refund the difference but if more they pay. It took 3 days to come by DHL. I am really pleased with it.

Correct... They have a system where if the tax is less (it will not be) they refund the difference but if more they pay. It took 3 days to come by DHL. I am really pleased with it.

Edited by harrry