Illegal Immigrants At Condo

How does the Condo Act covers Illegal Aliens residing with Co-owners at the Condo ? I understand the Immigration Law is very strict if co-owners are caught harbouring illegal aliens. Which Chapter of Law pertains to this ? Any comments appreciated.

More details please. Is this a mental exercise or do you suspect that some 'trouble making' illegal is residing in your building or a building you have some type of interest. Or are you looking to increase your income via a little blackmail or extortion? Or are you desirous of joining the shake down crowd? Or are you wishing that the illegal/the person providing safe harbor to pay you a tribute? :) I cannot imagine why anyone would be concerned about the housing arrangements of another unless there was some type of tangible benefit.

Please let us know your goal with this. Thanks.

TheWalkingMan

How does the Condo Act covers Illegal Aliens residing with Co-owners at the Condo ? I understand the Immigration Law is very strict if co-owners are caught harbouring illegal aliens. Which Chapter of Law pertains to this ? Any comments appreciated.

More details please. Is this a mental exercise or do you suspect that some 'trouble making' illegal is residing in your building or a building you have some type of interest. Or are you looking to increase your income via a little blackmail or extortion? Or are you desirous of joining the shake down crowd? Or are you wishing that the illegal/the person providing safe harbor to pay you a tribute? :) I cannot imagine why anyone would be concerned about the housing arrangements of another unless there was some type of tangible benefit.

Please let us know your goal with this. Thanks.

TheWalkingMan

Sure Walking Man. I have an earlier post " Forever outvoted in the Board of Director's Meetings ". In my quest for information , I have met with different co-owners from different sets of Condo. One of these co-owners is from a very expensive Condo building in town. And he is from a prominent Thai family and he was inducted to become the Director and Juristic Manager without pay for his condo. And he suddenly found out during one of the director's meeting that he will be the one who will be prosecuted if there are illegal aliens or inhabitants within his condo compound. Since he is the one who have the encompassing power and is in charge. He was very shocked and during the dinner meeting he told me that he wanted to get out of the Committee as quick as possible. He believed that there are foreigners in his Condo complex who may have outstayed their visa. In many condo complexes too, the most headache factor will be the numbers of maids running around. These maids comes from the nearby countries. I believe the co-owners actually have no intention of keeping anybody illegal. BTW must these maids be registered with the Juristic Office ? I also read somewhere that even if the co-owner have his foreigner friends residing in his condo unit or rent out his residence to a foreigner, the foreigner will need to make a report to the Immigration Bureau ?

As a farang and since this an Expat Forum, we have to be very aware of our responsibilities and accountabilities if we are appointed to the Board of Directors. Worst still if we have any intention to become the Juristic Manager or Director, we must be ready for a trip to the Police Station if the condo has illegal aliens.

To sum it all up, will the Juristic Manager have to make a trip to the Police station if the Condo are found to have Illegal Aliens ?

The juristic manager is legally responsible when the Condo does not comply with the law.

The condo must report all aliens in the building regularly - we pay 1,000 Baht a month for the police to pick up the report each day otherwise someone has to go to immigration, I think every 3 days.

It is my belief that if this report is made then it is up to immigration to ascertain if there are illegal aliens in the building so the manager does not carry any responsibility.

There are a lot of foreigners owning or renting condos that are working without work permits -- via computers or running bars, etc. without work permits. Would they be considered "illegal aliens" and therefore the condo would not be in compliance with the law? If so, there are a lot of directors in trouble.

There are a lot of foreigners owning or renting condos that are working without work permits -- via computers or running bars, etc. without work permits. Would they be considered "illegal aliens" and therefore the condo would not be in compliance with the law? If so, there are a lot of directors in trouble.

Working without work permits is a violation of the Labor law, not Immigration. An alien who remains on Thai soil with an expired visa is in violation of the Immigration law.

It is not covered in any of the condo laws. Immigration or labour laws might have something to say though.

However, I would have thought resposibilities for illegal staying or working would fall on individual appartment owners. To make this the responsibility of condo management would place an impossible task on their shoulders - unless of course the condo management was the employer.