Does Anyone Live In Chiang Mai?

Longbow212

I have a few days holiday and decided to get out of Bangkok and go to Chiang Mai. I am very impressed so far. People are friendly and not trying to hassle and rip you off all the time which is pretty much unheard of in my experience in tourist places in Thailand. I could definately see myself living and working here in the future if the right job came up.

What bars/areas/activities do the people that live here go to? I want to get a real experience of what it is like to live here for expats and locals.

Thanks.

In a city of over a million people there is just about any activity you can imagine. It is more laid back than most cities of that size. Your choice of bar depends entirely what you like. There are all kinds, but just not as many of them in comparison to Bangkok. The "girly bar" area is pretty restricted, and nothing like Pattaya or Patong in Phuket, but still available. There are lots of places to eat. From all the posts on the Chiang Mai forum you would think that is all everyone does.

In a city of over a million people there is just about any activity you can imagine. It is more laid back than most cities of that size. Your choice of bar depends entirely what you like. There are all kinds, but just not as many of them in comparison to Bangkok. The "girly bar" area is pretty restricted, and nothing like Pattaya or Patong in Phuket, but still available. There are lots of places to eat. From all the posts on the Chiang Mai forum you would think that is all everyone does.

I took a look at warm up bar and one or two in that area but most seemed to be student nights. I will take a look in the chiang mai forum..

I could definately see myself living and working here in the future if the right job came up.

sorry Buddy, all the crime fighting jobs are taken up here. Another poster has beaten you to it, hes quite handy with a knife as well. :)

but seriously, Tuskers is a good place for a drink, the owner Chas is a top bloke.

It all depends what yr looking for.

I have a few days holiday and decided to get out of Bangkok and go to Chiang Mai. I am very impressed so far. People are friendly and not trying to hassle and rip you off all the time which is pretty much unheard of in my experience in tourist places in Thailand. I could definately see myself living and working here in the future if the right job came up.

What bars/areas/activities do the people that live here go to? I want to get a real experience of what it is like to live here for expats and locals.

Thanks.

Along the river there are a few popular spots with a mix of expats and locals - Riverside, Good View, Brasserie etc.

Muang Mung Soi 2

Backpackers not allowed but plenty of bars and eating places.

Top North Guest House, nice swimming pool

Mad Dog just round the corner (great western food)

Happy bar (great thai food)

about 4 bars with pool tables

3 bars with girls available

Everyone speaks English

English book shop within 100yds (Gekko Books)

Muang Mung Soi 2

Backpackers not allowed but plenty of bars and eating places.

Top North Guest House, nice swimming pool

Mad Dog just round the corner (great western food)

Happy bar (great thai food)

about 4 bars with pool tables

3 bars with girls available

Everyone speaks English

English book shop within 100yds (Gekko Books)

... funny. After having watched the streets around there for several years, I'd thought all of those places situated in the midst of the back packer area, which sort of covers most of the inner moat area plus East of there to about 20 meter to the west of the former Night Bazaar Street. Well. maybe there's a safe heaven inside if the place charges more than what it's worth, but take care: once you venture outside the entrance of any of those joints and have to walk more than 10 meters for a cab. There might be up to several so called backpackers passing by on the same stretch of sidewalk your - probably shining - shoe soles will touch.

I want to get a real experience of what it is like to live here for expats and locals.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Vigilante,

To my knowledge there are no "un-real" experiences here in Chiang Mai, although some expats and locals may subjectively experience their experiences as "virtually" un-real, for all I know.

How shall we compare the non-un-reality of Bangkok then with the non-un-reality of Chiang Mai ?

By the ratio of farang males over fifty who are overweight to the frequency of those wearing backpacks divided by the number of female "hostesses" under age twenty-five providing short-time counselling service and consolation to the idle punters in public venues : modulo the perceived discomfort level of drivers in heavy traffic modulo time of day or night ?

My one suggestion would be to visit the Zoo, and spend several hours just walking around ... if you see an Orangutan, please, if you don't mind, send him or her my very best wishes ...

... then, before sunset, go to Wat UMong, go down by the lake, cross the little bridge to the small "island" in the lake, and sit on one of the stone benches and : watch.

The turtles will tell you a story, if you listen. The bats may teach you something as they swoop through the darkening sky catching what they catch.

Your mileage may vary, and this offer may be void in your state or Jungwat.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Also, try and get out of sexpat central - many great places away from Thapae.

Nimmanhamein is tops.

Agree 100% Nimmanhaemin is the best. Thapae over priced tourist trap.

Ps. Have a dinner at Nimman Cafe and then a few drinks in the classy bar behind it, The Onion. Both great value.

Also, try and get out of sexpat central - many great places away from Thapae.

Nimmanhamein is tops.

Isn't that where the gay contingent lives? They aren't sexpats then?

It is totally PC to be a gay sexpat. Boys will be boys and all that. :)

UG has come out of his closet. :D

UG has always been out of the closet and that has been the problem. Not the gay closet. If we could just hide him away.

Funny thing about backpackers is when I was younger I loved to backpack and travel. It was a lot of fun and sometimes I wish I still had the energy to travel around on a budget with few cares, enjoying what was around.

Another funny thing about backpackers is that they come from all walks of life. There is no single definition of backpacker. In fact many backpackers are from affluent families and do it for the experience.

Get away from the backpackers? Most of the backpackers who come to town stay inside the moat area, around Thapae and at the guest houses near the river, south of Chiang Mai Gate and Chang Puak. In short, all of the areas with a lot of charm, attractions and entertainment.

You can always hang around the Night Bazaar.

Chiang Mai province has a population of ~1 million - Chiang Mai city is about 200,000.

Chiang Mai province has a population of ~1 million - Chiang Mai city is about 200,000.

Thanks for the correction. I was only going by what I had been told and also read somewhere. It's easy to be confused between Chiang Mai the province and Chiang Mai the city. I always wondered how there could be so many people in such a small city.

I want to get a real experience of what it is like to live here for expats and locals.

My one suggestion would be to visit the Zoo, and spend several hours just walking around ... if you see an Orangutan, please, if you don't mind, send him or her my very best wishes ...

The turtles will tell you a story, if you listen. The bats may teach you something as they swoop through the darkening sky catching what they catch.

Forgot to take the tablets again?

I simply chose to have no Farang friends and only went to Thai bars etc.

Now the only thing I would say is that despite having only Thai friends and being able to speak Thai, I would 99% of the time be treated like a backpacker, even if I had a shirt and tie on.

Most places will switch how they deal with you once you begin to speak Thai with them.

I have learned the Golden rule of buying stuff from markets, treat the other Thai ladies with a ton of respect and learn Northern Dialect, they will laugh and smile and might even grab others to let them listen to the Farang speak.

Overall just have fun, be nice, and stay away from the crappy bars around Tae Pae and Loy Kroh :shrug:

He didn't forget.

sunfullsq4.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.

Now the only thing I would say is that despite having only Thai friends and being able to speak Thai, I would 99% of the time be treated like a backpacker, even if I had a shirt and tie on.

you need to remember trousers next time :)

you need to remember trousers next time :D

Dammit :) I knew it was way too breezy for an April afternoon! Least the boxers had a button fly!

And just what is wrong with back packers? I've found them to be quite lovely.

I daresay Ian, there is hope for you yet and perhaps redemption is near. But I too enjoy interacting with the younger crowd when they allow it, far more entertaining than listening to the tired middle-aged conversations at the ex-pat venues. And as one who backpacked in his youth around Thailand, part of the generation that helped build the current tourist infrastructure along with their Thai counterparts, I really hold in contempt those of you who speak disparagingly about the younger budget traveler set and who never engaged in any old school adventure travel into regions with little tourist infrastructure and few people who could speak English, let alone other western languages. Far too many of you just enjoy a wee too much riding that high horse, perhaps the result of having had a rather mundane youth.

I will be in town next month, so just to piss you all off I think I will go have a smoothie over at Daret's new place on the east side of the moat.

I really hold in contempt those of you who speak disparagingly about the younger budget traveler set and who never engaged in any old school adventure travel into regions with little tourist infrastructure and few people who could speak English, let alone other western languages.

I have nothing against most backpackers - many are nice kids - but I'm afraid that you are a little out of touch.

Virtually none of them go anywhere that is not well explored already and they are usually packed like lemmings into special, overly priced backpacker transport and most have no interest in meeting Thai people who are not serving them somehow.

I used to explore Thailand on public busses 20 years ago which were cheaper and more comfortable than their backpacker transport and full of normal Thais. I can honestly tell you that I could count the backpackers that I saw on one hand even though it was a much better deal.

By the way, enjoy Darets if you can, but the *^%$#$ cut down the big, shady tree in front and it just ain't the same place!

Yes, being Chinese it's strange they cut that tree. If ever there is a case to be made for a quick Feng-Shui Impact Analysis then that would be it. What a disaster..

Other than that, and getting back on topic, I disagree with every poster who attaches any characteristic to 'backpackers' that go beyond luggage type preference.

Yes, being Chinese it's strange they cut that tree. If ever there is a case to be made for a quick Feng-Shui Impact Analysis then that would be it. What a disaster..

Other than that, and getting back on topic, I disagree with every poster who attaches any characteristic to 'backpackers' that go beyond luggage type preference.

I think when we use the word backpacker we are more often referring to what Thai's would call "Farang Kii Nok", in essence trashy people who care little for peoples culture and customs in the country they are visiting.

He didn't forget.

sunfullsq4.jpg

UG is this what made you come out of the closet? :)

There is nothing wrong with backpackers. Some are well educated and most are polite. Mostly they are just young people seeing the world on a budget. Sure there are some in Thailand that qualify as farang kii nok. I will give credit to anyone who educates themselves by traveling around in foreign countries. You can learn a heck of a lot more about people and what life has to offer by traveling than you can by sitting in a classroom.

Early this year I met a Swedish guy sitting next to me on the train. He was a backpacker. Turns out he was an engineer from Volvo who had been laid off from his job after he had already bought his airplane ticket to Thailand. He was a very nice and well educated guy who suddenly was on a budget. He even stayed in a room for 150 Baht in Bangkok which I sure would not do.

I hitch-hiked across Canada with a backpack when I was 17. I even hopped the freight trains... It was one of the best experiences of my life.