Ceiling Fan Height

zapatero

It would seem like there should be some optimal height for a ceiling fan, (distance down from ceiling), that would provide the most effective airflow. Does anyone know of such a thing?

Or if not, is there some customary rule-of-thumb?

Thank you very much,

~~z

It would seem like there should be some optimal height for a ceiling fan, (distance down from ceiling), that would provide the most effective airflow. Does anyone know of such a thing?

Or if not, is there some customary rule-of-thumb?

Thank you very much,

~~z

No optimum distance between ceiling and fan blades.

There are min. distances: between ceiling and fan blades would be 30cm to have unimpeded airflow behind the blades, and between blades and floor level would be 2.3m for safety from chopping off fingers (2.4m if occupants are 185cm tall or more).

From a web site I found this info:

Ceiling fans are a basic necessity for the summer season. However, there are certain things that must be remembered while purchasing a ceiling fan.

To begin with, it is very essential to choose the right size of fan, according to the room dimensions. Blade span of a ceiling fan ranges from 29" to 54". The room where the ceiling fan is to mounted must be measured. Here are certain recommended fan sizes according to room dimensions:

Room Dimensions

Up to 75 sq. ft - Recommended fan size = 29-36 inches

76-144 sq. ft - Recommended fan size = 36-42 inches

144-225 sq. ft - Recommended fan size = 44 inches

225-400 sq. ft - Recommended fan size = 50-54 inches

Mounting Systems

It is recommended that the ceiling fan be mounted in the center of the room. Also, it must be about seven feet from the ground and about 18" from the walls. If it is possible, install the fan at the height of 8 to 9 feet from the ground.

Standard Mount: This is a three to five inch down rod (a metal pipe that reaches to the top of the fan from the ceiling). The diameter of the down rod is generally between 1.5" to ¾".

Extended Mount: This is used to hang the fan at an 8 to 9 foot height from the floor if desired. These down rods are available in about 6 to 120 inches. Ask the manufacture to determine the right size of down rods according to your need.

Flush Mount: This anchors the fan right to the ceiling. Generally, a standard fan can also be used as a flush mount; but still, "hugger" or "low profile" ceiling fans are available for the purpose.

Very helpful info, guys -- thank you very much!

Another question: I'm sure you have seen those fans that have become out of balance, ("doing the marimba", for lack of a better metaphor), that cause one to wonder how long his head is going to remain attached. I am presuming that metal blades, (if installed carefully), will be less prone to future imbalance than plastic or wooden blades. Any thoughts or experiences to support or refute this?

Very helpful info, guys -- thank you very much!

Another question: I'm sure you have seen those fans that have become out of balance, ("doing the marimba", for lack of a better metaphor), that cause one to wonder how long his head is going to remain attached. I am presuming that metal blades, (if installed carefully), will be less prone to future imbalance than plastic or wooden blades. Any thoughts or experiences to support or refute this?

The fans cannot "become" out of balance - either there are balanced or unbalanced when first installed - it pays to take some time with the initial installation to ensure they are running in a balanced state.

A lot of fans come with a small set of weights with a sticky back on them, you find the blade that is out of balance by trial and error using the small plastic clip supplied in the fan box and when you have the right place where it does not wobble you peel the backing off the weight and stick it on the top of the blade.

• 7 months later...
A lot of fans come with a small set of weights with a sticky back on them, you find the blade that is out of balance by trial and error using the small plastic clip supplied in the fan box and when you have the right place where it does not wobble you peel the backing off the weight and stick it on the top of the blade.

My father and I used to install ceiling fans in Aus. The normal method for either balancing or rebalancing is to make sure the blades are all equal distance from the ceiling at a given point.

So you stand on a ladder and bring each blade around to you and measure from the tip of the blade to the ceiling. You then turn to the next blade. You make sure they are all the same by either bending (gently) the blade up or down.

Works a treat.