Two Bangkok Bars Rated Among World’s Ten Best

george

By Bangkokatoz.com

I have no idea how the assessments were made. I do know the page I read was one that (1.) I reached through clicking a paid Google ad on another page, and (2.) Singha asked the Lonely Planet travel guide people to provide the information for. With those caveats established -- meaning I can’t vouch for this story -- let’s get to the bars.

Coming in second is the Gazebo Bar on Bangkok’s Khao San Road, an area we normally associate with cheap hotels, backpack tourists, and so on. While I’ve heard of the bar, I’ve never been there, so I can’t offer any personal observations. I did visit the website and noted there is a cover charge, sometimes, of 300 baht.

In ninth place is the Moon Bar on the top of the Banyan Tree Hotel on South Sathorn Road here in Bangkok. I have been to it, and the views are stunning. The bar is perched 59 floors up, so the view is also a commanding one. There doesn’t seem to be a link for the bar itself, and when I went to the Banyan Tree website, I didn’t see anything at all about it. Unless the situation has changed since I was last there, there is no cover charge.

I do know the drink prices are fairly expensive for Bangkok in general, but not for this sort of bar, and not compared to other high-class bars in other cities in the world.

The main reason I wrote this story is that Bangkok is the only city to have two winners (as is Thailand the only country with them).

Congratulations to the two bars!

-- Bangkokatoz.com 2009-10-23

In ninth place is the Moon Bar on the top of the Banyan Tree Hotel on South Sathorn Road here in Bangkok. I have been to it, and the views are stunning. The bar is perched 59 floors up, so the view is also a commanding one. There doesn't seem to be a link for the bar itself, and when I went to the Banyan Tree website, I didn't see anything at all about it. Unless the situation has changed since I was last there, there is no cover charge.

It is mentioned on the website. Try the link here

I'm guessing that's the bar area at the far end of the photo in the link.

As for Gazebo being listed number 2........let's just say I'm 'very surprised' at that.

Edited by thecatman

In ninth place is the Moon Bar on the top of the Banyan Tree Hotel on South Sathorn Road here in Bangkok. I have been to it, and the views are stunning. The bar is perched 59 floors up, so the view is also a commanding one. There doesn't seem to be a link for the bar itself, and when I went to the Banyan Tree website, I didn't see anything at all about it. Unless the situation has changed since I was last there, there is no cover charge.

It is mentioned on the website. Try the link here

I'm guessing that's the bar area at the far end of the photo in the link.

As for Gazebo being listed number 2........let's just say I'm 'very surprised' at that.

Gazebo looks like a hole in the wall compared to some other bars I have seen.

Thanks for the Info, Banyan tree is nice, but I think State tower is better, I think you get a better view of the city you are close enough to see the river, not sure which one is higher. I think the drinks at State tower are less expensive too.. Can't recall what I paid last time at Banyan tree. Really surprised at the Khao san rd place, never been to that place but have been around Khao san and cant say anything I have seen around this is anything close to the quality you get at Banyan tree.

Thanks for the Info, Banyan tree is nice, but I think State tower is better, I think you get a better view of the city you are close enough to see the river, not sure which one is higher. I think the drinks at State tower are less expensive too.. Can't recall what I paid last time at Banyan tree. Really surprised at the Khao san rd place, never been to that place but have been around Khao san and cant say anything I have seen around this is anything close to the quality you get at Banyan tree.

I think the Sky Bar at the State tower is higher. Last Friday evening I had a drink at 'Distil' the lounge bar at the State tower with the outside terrace over looking the river. 2 cocktails there set me back just over 1000Bt (after the ++ had been tagged on).

state tower is a total ripper - 290THB for a singha iirc. what a load of wank.

Pay attention to what is being said. I didnt say it was cheap, I said it's less expensive than Bayan tree. I agree both places are expensive,

Pay attention to what is being said. I didnt say it was cheap, I said it's less expensive than Bayan tree. I agree both places are expensive,

when I said it was a load of wank I meant the prices at state tower, not your post. :)

when I said it was a load of wank I meant the prices at state tower, not your post. :)

Sorry, thought you were talking to me. i agree with you, way too highly priced!!

Can't believe the Beer Garden isn't on the list, it's a scandle, I demand a recount.

Brigante7.

Here Here! I can't understand how it didn't make it what with those stunning views, trendy music, fantastic service and most importantly :) no cover charges!

Can't believe the Beer Garden isn't on the list, it's a scandle, I demand a recount.

Brigante7.

:D

Yes and Jungle Jims, Kangaroo and After School are surely better than the two Bangkok bars mentioned. They are after all essentially "smoking bars", with out the cigarette smoke. :)

Gazebo Bar is okay..... normally the band is like a good student band drinks are okay nice open sided bar (no views) but carpet on way in is threadbare toilets are a little stinky... but you can smoke the hubbly bubbly pipes which add to the atmosphere....even though i have seen young travellers thinking they were getting stoned and a big hit off them :)

Full marks for water pressure on the bum gun.. 10/10

Not even the best bar on Khao Sarn never mind Bangors.....

Your first visit to Jungle Jims is unforgettable...how many wandering hands and whispering voices in your ear...i was suitably shocked and never took it all in first time so a repeat visit was necessary... :D

You forgot the original Star of Love in patpong! now that is a classic place.....

By Bangkokatoz.com

I have no idea how the assessments were made. I do know the page I read was one that (1.) I reached through clicking a paid Google ad on another page, and (2.) Singha asked the Lonely Planet travel guide people to provide the information for. With those caveats established -- meaning I can’t vouch for this story -- let’s get to the bars.

Coming in second is the Gazebo Bar on Bangkok’s Khao San Road, an area we normally associate with cheap hotels, backpack tourists, and so on. While I’ve heard of the bar, I’ve never been there, so I can’t offer any personal observations. I did visit the website and noted there is a cover charge, sometimes, of 300 baht.

In ninth place is the Moon Bar on the top of the Banyan Tree Hotel on South Sathorn Road here in Bangkok. I have been to it, and the views are stunning. The bar is perched 59 floors up, so the view is also a commanding one. There doesn’t seem to be a link for the bar itself, and when I went to the Banyan Tree website, I didn’t see anything at all about it. Unless the situation has changed since I was last there, there is no cover charge.

I do know the drink prices are fairly expensive for Bangkok in general, but not for this sort of bar, and not compared to other high-class bars in other cities in the world.

The main reason I wrote this story is that Bangkok is the only city to have two winners (as is Thailand the only country with them).

Congratulations to the two bars!

-- Bangkokatoz.com 2009-10-23

Read the section on bars in Chiang Mai & in the top ten was a bar listed as the Garden Bar which was noted to be adjacent to the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel, but it is in fact a very ordinary outdoor bar at a tiny hotel called Lotus which is many kilometres away!!So which one is it? Hmm, gotta wonder who writes & who checks these things, not the first time that Lonely Planet has had dubious info. :)

Gazebo Bar is okay..... normally the band is like a good student band drinks are okay nice open sided bar (no views) but carpet on way in is threadbare toilets are a little stinky... but you can smoke the hubbly bubbly pipes which add to the atmosphere....even though i have seen young travellers thinking they were getting stoned and a big hit off them :)

Your first visit to Jungle Jims is unforgettable...how many wandering hands and whispering voices in your ear...i was suitably shocked and never took it all in first time so a repeat visit was necessary... :D

Where is Jungle Jims located in Bangers? Sounds like a must visit.

You forgot the original Star of Love in patpong! now that is a classic place.....

Where is Jungle Jims located in Bangers? Sounds like a must visit.

Where can i find Jungle Jims? Sounds like a must visit.