Siam Ocean World At Siam Paragon. Latest Prices?

ihightower

Hi.. does anyone know what the current prices are for visiting Siam Ocean World?

Does it still have Thai and Farang Prices?

I gather following info from other posting:

11/07/08: Adult/Child.. .Thai Price: 450/280, Others Price: 860/650. Is this still true? or outdated?

Please advise. Does a person with Work Permit and a Thai Driving License considered a local or farang.

Also, a child of 2.5 years considered at child rates? or free?

Edited by ihightower

I was there yesterday and paid 1200 baht for 2 adults and 2 kids. I don't remember any individual prices but i'm sure the farang adult price was 200 baht more than Thai. They asked to see my driving licence before they would give me the thai price. No idea about age limits for free kids.

Hi.. does anyone know what the current prices are for visiting Siam Ocean World?

Does it still have Thai and Farang Prices?

I gather following info from other posting:

11/07/08: Adult/Child.. .Thai Price: 450/280, Others Price: 860/650. Is this still true? or outdated?

Please advise. Does a person with Work Permit and a Thai Driving License considered a local or farang.

Also, a child of 2.5 years considered at child rates? or free?

Recently we paid 450 + 50 = 500 which includes the boat and movie. Child over 80cm was 350 + 50, under 80cm for free. Age was not the issue, only height. They did quote the higher price for me initially so I questioned that higher price in a polite joking manner ( in Thai ). She immediately gave me the Thai price after realizing I live here. I wasn't asked but I did show her my Thai driver's license as an after thought. (Of course afterwords friends told us they could have gotten us a discount if we had let them know.) Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

Edited by villagefarang

I was there yesterday and paid 1200 baht for 2 adults and 2 kids. I don't remember any individual prices but i'm sure the farang adult price was 200 baht more than Thai. They asked to see my driving licence before they would give me the thai price. No idea about age limits for free kids.

nidge: Thanks for your reply.

I will wait for someone who can post individual prices.

Based on your statement, I can only guess it is Thai Adult: 400 and Thai Child: 200 for a total of THB1200 (for 2 adult and 2 kids).

Also, could you tell me if it was any good? How long does it take typically cover all the areas of ocean world? (2 hours enough or more??)

Any thing I need to be concern about timing.. like it is better to visit before 6pm, etc. so that I don't miss this show or that.

Edited by ihightower

No idea about age limits for free kids.

There is no age limit for kids, it goes on Height Restriction!!

I would consider an 8 year old still a child, wouldn't you? Yet had to pay adult prices because he is tall. I considered it a rip off (forgot my driving licence) but he thoroughly enjoyed it which is what counts.

Pulsating jellyfish in a sound room with pumping ambient music was the highlight for me.

Ps. I was really looking forward to the Mermaid show (Temptresses of the Seas) but was thoroughly disapointed. Three chunky ungracious "Falang" Mermaids certainly would not have taken many ships and sailours to their doom. :)

Took the wife and son there two weeks ago

and was very disappointed. I had a couple

of 'free' tickets from a friend and would have

been well cheesed-off if I'd paid to get in.

The "free" photo at the entrance is <deleted>.

Wandered through the whole exhibit in less

than an hour - a good deal of that time was

taken up trying to exit their gift shop. I'd

give it a miss if I were you.

Just checked prices with my wife. (She has a better memory).

Adult 350 baht Thai, 850 baht Falang

Child 250 baht Thai, 650 baht Falang.

A child is charges between 80 - 120 cm.

Sounds like an expensive day out. Mom, pop and a couple of non-Thai kids = (850*2) + (650*2) = 3,000 about USD 90! :D

USD 90 bucks vs USD 35 bucks

Disregarding the double pricing BS for a moment. Is this place really worth $90 for a family of tourists to visit? I just did a google and these prices (at the current exchange rate) are just about the same ($91) as a family's general admission tickets to the Georgia Aquarium. But Georgia gives a senior discount.

Sometimes the prices in Thailand amaze me. A country with overall wages considerably lower than the west but still has the ability to charge western prices for things and some people defend it. :). Just doesn't add up.

TheWalkingMan

No it's not worth $90. If it's really busy like yesterday then you will queue at every exhibit. People were even queuing at empty tanks because the person at the front of the queue never thought of telling anyone else it was empty. There are lot's of nice things to see, but nothing that makes it worth going to Bangkok rather than an aquarium in your own country. GO to Georgia and get the discount :)

The thing that really gets under my skin is how they display the prices for locals in Thai writing!

It's a complete con!

And yet the entrance gates are allways packed.

I wonder how much income they would lose if they displayed the double pricing in clear signage.

No doubt most of the tourists have no idea how much they are being discriminated against.

Edited by Livinginexile

They are very reasonable about giving the thai price to farangs. My husband just showed him his business card and a photo ID and they gave us the thai price. If you get the thai price, it's a fairly reasonable price for what it is. It's a decent aquarium. My son loves aquariums and can spend hours in them so it was a good value for us.

We went there about 3 months ago and walked away like many others because of the high prices. It appeared to us that u pay an enterence price and then have to pay for the shows which made it expensive and confusing because the way i understood it u can't get a family ticket if it is mixed falung /Thai (or at least it seemed that way - correct me if i am wrong) . We even chatted to one of the "promotion" girls who told us that is too expensive . And it does upset me the discrimination shown towards falungs but that is another post initself.

Can't comment on the quality of the show .

Siam Paragon is a RIP-OFF joint.

They have several prices but only display the special farang price in english.

It's a scam or they would display all the prices and let the customer decide.

I recently took 2 Thai friends and had to pay the Farang price for them too!

What other business in Siam Paragon are pulling this crap?

No it's not worth $90. If it's really busy like yesterday then you will queue at every exhibit. People were even queuing at empty tanks because the person at the front of the queue never thought of telling anyone else it was empty. There are lot's of nice things to see, but nothing that makes it worth going to Bangkok rather than an aquarium in your own country. GO to Georgia and get the discount :)

Yeah, I'll go to Georgia... as long as you cough up for a round-trip ticket from Tokyo, you sound like you have a few crumbs to spare. I'll even pay the admission price myself. :D Not sure at what age the senior discount kicks in.

The point of bringing up the Georgia Aquarium (I have never been there before, but it is relatively new - opened 2005) was because I was surprised at $90 for a family of 4. That is about 50% of the wages of tons of people.

Maybe the upper income locals are screaming for things to do in the city and the aquarium fills the void and Paragon can charge as they feel. They must be making a mint.

But I still think the double charging is a rip-off and should be avoided if at all possible.

TheWalkingMan

I am not in pro or con about Siam Ocean World. Without doubt its great fun to visit.

Here's my story. I went to SOW together with my son. (Thai).

I asked the cashier for 2 tickets and she mentioned the "farang entrance fee".

When I handed her my CC issued by a local bank she hesitated and asked if I live in Thailand and I answered yes.

I was charged the "local" fee....

I always wonder why people complain about dual pricing in Thailand. Its not an only in Thailand issue. You will find

that worldwide and I found it worldwide. I can't remember exactly the places but in the USA and Canada they apply dual pricing too.

So does Germany, UK, France Italy and others....

whatever the price is it is too much, don't waste your money going here, any company that practices dual pricing should be boycotted anyway but the reason I say don't go here is because it is garbage

Have never been there. Do not fancy an 'ocean world' built into the basement of a shopping mall. Have anyone ever consider if the place is safe from drowning should a major tank breaks up?

To avoid dissapointment, the only Thai attractions worth visiting are the free ones......Most Thais visiting these places are either schools/universities which are not charged, or the very well to do Thais that think nothing of paying 10 million Baht for a Mercedes that would only cost 1.5 Baht million in Europe.

Thank you all your comments.

Here is the URL for Siam Ocean World Prices

The price in Thai Numerals is Adult: 350 Child:250

The price in Arabic Numerals is Adult: 850 Child: 650

I might go there next weekend and will let you guys know if I was charged Thai or Farang Price. I will not go if they insist on Falang price anyway.

For any problems, some items I will show to insist on Thai Price will be (in the order that I will show to them)..

1) Thai Driving License

2) Local SCB Credit Card

3) Business Card

4) Work Permit

Will keep you posted.

In my opinion, local farangs should boycott this place if they insist to charge with Farang Price.

Thank you all your comments.

Here is the URL for Siam Ocean World Prices

The price in Thai Numerals is Adult: 350 Child:250

The price in Arabic Numerals is Adult: 850 Child: 650

I might go there next weekend and will let you guys know if I was charged Thai or Farang Price. I will not go if they insist on Falang price anyway.

For any problems, some items I will show to insist on Thai Price will be (in the order that I will show to them)..

1) Thai Driving License

2) Local SCB Credit Card

3) Business Card

4) Work Permit

Will keep you posted.

In my opinion, local farangs should boycott this place if they insist to charge with Farang Price.

I was at Siam Paragon today and took a quick look down in the basement.

There is a sign above the entrance (with ticket counters) at the far left which says "Thai residents price available. Inquire at the ticketing counter".

On enquiry at the information counter I was told that this applied to anyone who could produce: A Thai driving licence, a work permit; or a Thai 'credit card' (my Kasikorn ATM card was deemed adequate). Thinking about it now, I didn't confirm for sure that the Thai Residents price was the same as the Thai price displayed in Thai - my bad.

I asked if this was available in writing - no.

The English and Thai prices are displayed above the entrance as per the website... However, there is a twist - the Farang price includes entrance to the 3D Movie and the glass bottom boat ride, but the Thai entry only includes the 3D Movie. The price of the GBB Ride is 150 baht, so that accounts for some, but not all, of the difference.

Cheers,

K.

Thank you phaethon for your above message.

So, assuming the Thai Price Resident Price is THB350, then with the of GBB (THB150).. it amounts to THB500. Still it is much cheaper (40%+) than the Farang price of THB850.

Also, I am wondering if the the lower ticket price will be for the whole group (say myself, wife and a friend from foreign country), regardless of the other parties (my wife and a friend from foreign country) holding NONE of the (thai driving license, local bank card or work permit).

So, all of us pay THB350. ??? :)

Edited by ihightower

I am not in pro or con about Siam Ocean World. Without doubt its great fun to visit.

Here's my story. I went to SOW together with my son. (Thai).

I asked the cashier for 2 tickets and she mentioned the "farang entrance fee".

When I handed her my CC issued by a local bank she hesitated and asked if I live in Thailand and I answered yes.

I was charged the "local" fee....

I always wonder why people complain about dual pricing in Thailand. Its not an only in Thailand issue. You will find

that worldwide and I found it worldwide. I can't remember exactly the places but in the USA and Canada they apply dual pricing too.

So does Germany, UK, France Italy and others....

Not sure which leisure venues charge dual pricing in the UK and the rest of Europe but doubtless you will provide examples.

Of course dual pricing does exist in the UK but this tends to reflect one's indigenous status and consequential rights and obligations not least of which is the payment of tax and welfare contributions. Examples in the UK may be college fees and access to the NHS but beyond that I am struggling to think.

The Thai practice of dual pricing is comparatively rare in the developed, and not so developed, world and probably reflects their uniqueness although most would argue it is simply a crude unjustifiable tax. Previously, the relatively cheap cost of living rendered the dual pricing almost irrelevant but given the rise in recent years it is now approaching something beyond the irksome and counterproductive to the quaint notion that the LoS is a welcoming country beyond par to tourists.

Personally, I wouldn't pay it but then captive goldfish was never my thing and I would much prefer to spend the money saved on jetski hire costs whenever the opportunity arises :) .

I don't know if your ID could get everyone a cheap price. Go try it and report back.

I have seen their ads in "The Bangkok Trader" which clearly state, in English, that foreigners will be charged the local rate with proof that they live in Thailand, it mentions a Thai driving licence as acceptable proof and I believe there are others.

I have been there a few times and have always been asked if I lived in Thailand and had proof.

The thing that really gets under my skin is how they display the prices for locals in Thai writing!

It's a complete con!

And yet the entrance gates are allways packed.

I wonder how much income they would lose if they displayed the double pricing in clear signage.

No doubt most of the tourists have no idea how much they are being discriminated against.

So they know full well they are racist, but don't care!

I went with my bird (both farang) and they asked where we are from and we said Bangkok. She asked for ID to prove it and we showed an ATM/cash card and got the local prices.

Its pretty good in there & you get free popcorn and a little boat ride with the entrance fee.

Last week, I went with my son at 10am Monday morning and paid 250 baht (early bird) for me. She just spoke to me in Thai and asked if I lived in Thailand. No proof was asked for. My son was in a pushchair and is probably just over the 80cm limit but she didn't bother checking so I didn't need to pay. He's 2, he loved it. More for running around and climbing on the penguin statues though.

Edited by bkkmei

• 3 months later...
Siam Paragon is a RIP-OFF joint.

I finally went to Siam Ocean World today, and I don't agree that it's a rip-off. To me, a rip-off is when you're being cheated. I didn't feel cheated at all. I was offered the resident price if I had some form of Thailand ID (which, I did...my Thai drivers license)...without me asking for it.

Having said that, do I think it's "good value" for the price. No. Too expensive. I've been to aquariums in the U.S. a number of times and walked out feeling that the high price (higher than here) was worth it. I think Siam Ocean World is a modest tourist site worth about half the price.