Driving With Thai Car To Malaysia?

awd

I am planning to drive my wife's car down to Malaysia for a couple weeks. Does anyone have a resource showing what papers and insurance I need to cross the border and drive in Malaysia?

Just a bump. No one with info?

I drove to Penang once and just presented the owner's papers and driving licence at the border and everyting was fine

It is only some hundred kms farther down the road, that I was stopped by the highway police (I guess) and asked for a travel insurance (which I was unable to produce)

After I had made apology for not holding that documentation, the officer let me go but added that if something happened to me I should take full responsiblity

But I guess you will find more accurate informations following the link provided by Birdman

I used to do this trip regularly but the last time was three years ago. So things may have changed.

You need to get an official translation of your vehicle's documents from a Thai Land registration office for a small fee. This will also give you a translation of your Thai number plate. When you get to the border ( Malaysian side) get a stick on translated number plate made and affix it to your vehicle. Your car will now (outwardly at least) appear to comply with Malaysian regulations.

You are also supposed to buy Malaysian insurance at the border to be legal but in my experience you are unlikely to be stopped or asked for this especially if you have the translated number plate on show.