Where Do You Live And Why?

patong

Over the past 6 years I have lived in Samui, Phuket and Krabi, although very nice in their own ways, logistically they are not placed very well....flights are expensive and also time consuming with check ins etc...bus, trains are 12-14 hours and theft is rampant on them...the climate isnt that great, lots of rain and flooding because of too much construction and then of course the people and the cost....I chose Petchaburi Province.....90 minute drive from Central BKK and only 140-180 Baht...great beaches, seafood at a third of the cost in the South, Expats have more money to spend so businesses are busier and people arnt as depressed as they are in the South....just my opinion but I took a recent visit to the South and returned after a few days as I found it too depressing to be amongst people that are skirting around just to make 20 or 30 Baht :)

i would like to ask the question where do you live and why?

South of Phuket.

Reasons : beaches, ocean, diving, access to islands in immediate area, shopping (Tesco, HomePro), Don's, great food restaurants, reasonable bars a tad more restrained than Patong, schooling for the kids, good expat population, housing quality, local amenities and businesses can supply and do almost anything, ..........and it's 2 days drive to the in-laws so only see the f*&£"%s twice a year.

I live in a reasonably small amphur in northeast thailand. It is near isaan but not isaan.I chose this place afteryears of coming to Thailand and travelling around the country.

I chose this place for many reasons.

(1) It is still Thailand has many of the qualities of thai life here which I feel is lost many other places People still wai here. (2) No franchise stores .One 7/11 , a very new small kfc that I think willnot last hopefully

(3) Life is sabai sabi and mai pen rai. There is no pressure here. Life is simple and pleasant.

(4) No expat community. No guys wanting cold heinekin and burgers or whatever european food they expect.

(5) Can go in to local shops sit down and chat the day away with any and all who come in. This is possible in many shops. Locals encourage me to do they enjoy the social aspect.

(6) Cost of living is very low .I save tens of thousands a year and want for nothing.

(7) Only 5 hours from krung thep when desire for city excitement arises.

Could go on

I didnot mention the name because I am selfish and donot want it spoiled with an influx of expats and see it change sorry.

You got it from the nation newspaper ??

Can you clarify that ?? Are my posts republished outside this site ??

The Nation online newspaper has a webboard that is connected to thaivisa I was reading the Nation saw this thread and replied , thinking it was in general forum didnot check sorry.

Some posts are presented outside this forum yes. Check the Nation online.

I live in Rawai. Close to a nice beach, close to Kata where I work, nice community, relaxed area, I live away from any bars so quiet, close to Kata where I work, and more affordable than Kata (at least when I moved in).

You got it from the nation newspaper ??

Can you clarify that ?? Are my posts republished outside this site ??

The Nation online newspaper has a webboard that is connected to thaivisa I was reading the Nation saw this thread and replied , thinking it was in general forum didnot check sorry.

Some posts are presented outside this forum yes. Check the Nation online.

I knew the nation had posts / web board..

I did not know ThaiVisa (our) content was duplicated outside of Thaivisa (giving nation unique content) and dont like that idea much. I post what I post here, and am comfortable with discussions having that level of exposure, NOT in having those discussions mirrored on other newspaper / media sites.

I did not know ThaiVisa (our) content was duplicated outside of Thaivisa (giving nation unique content) and dont like that idea much. I post what I post here, and am comfortable with discussions having that level of exposure, NOT in having those discussions mirrored on other newspaper / media sites.

LOS, I just had a look through The Nation's web site. There is a link to Thaivisa, but I can't find any content actually reproduced on the Nation's site. I'll check this out some more.

LOS, I just had a look through The Nation's web site. There is a link to Thaivisa, but I can't find any content actually reproduced on the Nation's site. I'll check this out some more.

Thanks.. Links to Thaivisa (backlink = pagerank) I totally understand and would not object to in any way..

I dont think my concerns about my / our posts, which are windows into our lives and opinions, should be only posted where we see fit to post them, mirroring them on a national multimedia outlet (without even telling us) is a big difference, thats IF thats whats happened, it may well not be. Thats not unfounded I think.

Anyway dragging thread off topic. Sorry.

LivinLOS, still OT but last week I posted something in the Pattaya forum and then it was on the home page of the Nation website in their web-forum. Big surprise to me too and I am also not happy about it!

Back on topic, north Phuket is my preferred location. Very easy access by car/air to other parts of Thailand and overseas, very few foreigners living in the area, security and safety still seem good, prices still low, nice beaches, little traffic, clean air, good seafood.

I moved away from Phuket early this year for a new job and rest from my 'ex'. but do hope to return next year!

Simon

I live in the Godawful expat enclave known as Sai Yuan with it's mix of neurotics/petite bourgoise and in the 'high season', chavs, where a simple 'good morning!' will get you a sneer or, if you're very lucky, grunt.

I lived in Chalong before for over five years. Much better.

Here's hoping the economy does pick up next year and I can sell and get the hel_l out of here. :) Nice house, fuc_king awful neighbourhood.

AND the usual posters spitting their usual spite like benzedrined Puff Adders :D

'Ere yoo two don' 'appen to live in sai yuan do you? :D Yor frequent nasty posts typical of the 'types'

here :D:)

I actually thought both of the responses were pretty 'tongue in cheek' and without rancour. I think everywhere in Phuket has it's merits and downsides, and as ever, down to the individual and where they feel the most comfortable. Personally, I prefer away from the tourist/visitor 'hot spots', and opted to live in Chalong. Here there's a sense of having a 'normal' lifestyle, but close to any facilities that you need, be it shops/malls/beaches/restaurants etc.

I actually thought both of the responses were pretty 'tongue in cheek' and without rancour. I think everywhere in Phuket has it's merits and downsides, and as ever, down to the individual and where they feel the most comfortable. Personally, I prefer away from the tourist/visitor 'hot spots', and opted to live in Chalong. Here there's a sense of having a 'normal' lifestyle, but close to any facilities that you need, be it shops/malls/beaches/restaurants etc.

Whilst agreeing with the body of your post re Chalong, I do think you're being either rather disingenuous or naive (having read some of your other posts on this forum, I'd go with the former rather than the latter).

Whilst agreeing with the body of your post re Chalong, I do think you're being either rather disingenuous or naive (having read some of your other posts on this forum, I'd go with the former rather than the latter).

Possibly you're correct. However I (I think) tend to comment rather than provoke contraversial dialogue (though sometimes I fail miserably). I'm still of a mind that we (residents) choose our own location, and whether that proves to be the right one or not, is subjective. Some of it comes down to individual responsibility for research, and whether somewhere really is the right place. The same thing could happen in any country of the world.

Live in Chalong, and for me it ticks all the boxes in regard to proximity to activities / places I like to visit. I also don't feel mobbed with tourists, sure theres a few but not like Kata for example. (actually like Kata but wouldnt want to live there, just personal preference).

Live in Chalong, and for me it ticks all the boxes in regard to proximity to activities / places I like to visit. I also don't feel mobbed with tourists, sure theres a few but not like Kata for example. (actually like Kata but wouldnt want to live there, just personal preference).

Surely you jest. Chlalong is the last place I would live in the South, apart from Patong. (that includes Narathiwat) Of course it all depends on what you want...I would move back to Haad Yai in a minute if I could find a good job there ..

Chalong for me.

BTW I have several of my posts published in PG under Letters to the editor, without my permission. I don't really mind & I do not know what agreement they have with TV but good decorum would dictate they ask before publishing. In one they made a simple edit which completely changed the tone of what I was saying originally.

Edited by Valentine

Chalong for me.

BTW I have several of my posts published in PG under Letters to the editor, without my permission. I don't really mind & I do not know what agreement they have with TV but good decorum would dictate they ask before publishing. In one they made a simple edit which completely changed the tone of what I was saying originally.

Your joking ??

I have had letters to the editor posted (also edited prior to posting which was a bit unfair as it also changed the content considerably but I sent it to them) and also had them do issues and answers which was very helpful..

But taking ThaiVisa posts and putting them in the paper ?? Again a very odd one. Thats probably worse than the previous idea (not correct George clarified) that TV posts made it to the nations webpage.

All this syndication stuff is well and good but redistributing users posts is questionable.

Surely you jest. Chlalong is the last place I would live in the South, apart from Patong. (that includes Narathiwat) Of course it all depends on what you want...I would move back to Haad Yai in a minute if I could find a good job there ..

Pity that you didn't actually state where you do live. Easy to knock Chalong, however it's large enough to have most facilities, and yes, there are some not so nice parts (i.e. on the road to the pier and in the Rawai border area - but surprisingly there are a couple of good bars there), but there are also some very nice estates and individual areas where you're more aligned to the local population than most places, with beach side or hill side. Great access for everywhere, good restaurants, no silly tourist prices (unless you act like a tourist). So what's wrong with that?

Nope, I'm not jesting. I could have chosen to live anywhere in Phuket, and I chose a nice part of Chalong. I dont think it's a valid assessment to lump Chalong into one of the least desirable places to live in Phuket along with Patong (no offence to anyone living in Patong). It's all subjective, each to their own as they say. I've never been to Haad Yai so can't comment on that.