Faith Healing

drummer

My wife has started to go to a faith healing Buddhist cult on On Nut.

They sit fo hours with their open palm facin someone else, letting their rays cure medical problems, financial problems, etc.

Anyone have any knowledge about this?

Anyone understand how this related to Buddhism? Seems to me to be quite outside mainstream Buddhist practices, but she ssuers me it is quite inside them. She doesn't like to talk to me about it, though, as I don't believe. she tells me this is a very mainstream practice, that many famous monks and even the King do this.

It strikes me in form and function to be extremely similar to other practices from the West, associated with other religions. Many of which have ben exposed to be run by con men. I keep an open mind, but this really seems to rnu counter to what I understand Buddhism to be about.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that is definitely not what the mainstrem buddhists do ... I can gaurantee you ..... But it does exist ..... it is called universal healing power ..... or sth like that

Thai people usually get hold of religion when something bad happens but some

just misuse it ... I believe it works for some people since it is like a psychological healing.....

There was an insurance company in Califoria that I read about that would reduce premiums if you could prove that you had people praying for you. - Not sure how you could prove it though. They thought that it made you safer and more healthy.

In Thailand people would go to Luang Phor Sodh when he was alive and put down their names for healing illnesses. There was no direct contact, but many people said it worked. POS or true ?? Depends on your preconceptions - you will always see things through your biases, religious or atheistic.

Remember the woman who had bled for 7 years touching the cloak of Christ and being instantly healed? He said 'what's going on here?'. When it was explained He said 'it was your faith that healed you'.

I can't see any problem with it, unless it is being sold as some kind of alternative therapy.

Yeah .... I know. I'm just uncomfortable with it. For the most part, the people there are very nice and exceedingly polite. (I get wai'ed more times in 1 hour there than in a year anywhere else!) But something about it gives me the willies.

I dunno.

There was an insurance company in Califoria that I read about that would reduce premiums if you could prove that you had people praying for you. - Not sure how you could prove it though. They thought that it made you safer and more healthy.

In Thailand people would go to Luang Phor Sodh when he was alive and put down their names for healing illnesses. There was no direct contact, but many people said it worked. POS or true ?? Depends on your preconceptions - you will always see things through your biases, religious or atheistic.

Remember the woman who had bled for 7 years touching the cloak of Christ and being instantly healed? He said 'what's going on here?'. When it was explained He said 'it was your faith that healed you'.

I can't see any problem with it, unless it is being sold as some kind of alternative therapy.