One Of America's Most Wanted

sriracha john

How many 500 baht notes do you get for 400 million baht?

Sheesh, these guys had serious amounts of baht...

novcarriere.jpg

Photograph taken in 1996

Thai police nab one of FBI's 'most-wanted'

Associated Press

A man identified by the FBI as one of America's most-wanted fugitives involved in a multimillion dollar Internet investment scam has been arrested at a popular Thai seaside resort, police said Friday.

Acting on information received from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation, Thai police arrested Eugene Marcel Carriere, 56, on Thursday night in Pattaya, 70 kilometers (44 miles) south of Bangkok, said police Col. Ittiphon Ittisanronnachai.

According to the FBI's Web site, Carriere and an associate, James Stanley Eberhart, owned and operated a telemarketing company in California called YES Entertainment Network, Inc. that defrauded investors out of more than US$11 million dollars (ย€8.5 million) from February to October 1999.

The FBI, whose Web site listed Carriere as a most wanted fugitive in November last year, said in December 2002, a U.S. federal court in Los Angeles indicted Carriere and Eberhart on multiple charges of mail fraud and money laundering.

It said that Carriere, who had several aliases, fled the United States in late 1999, and was believed to be residing in Thailand after possibly having traveled through Costa Rica, Hong Kong, and Spain. It added that he owned a yacht called "Southern Pride."

Ittiphon said Carriere, who does not own a valid passport, would be prosecuted for illegal entry to Thailand and then deported to the United States next week to face charges.

No information was available about Eberhart who the FBI also believed to be living in Southeast Asia.

The FBI said Carriere and Eberhart had claimed to investors that they were developing a multimedia Web site offering several channels of video programming.

"Over 800 victims throughout the United States reportedly invested amounts as high as US$100,000 (ย€77,000) individually," said the FBI. "None of the investors received returns on their investments."

The money raised from investors was allegedly used for the personal benefit of the venture's principals, with a substantial amount transferred to offshore bank accounts in Hong Kong and Singapore," said the FBI.

Edited by sriracha john

I remember this guy. He and some associates held a seminar entitled "Pattaya Property Boom---Prices Can Only Go Up-and-Up".

They were offering 22 square meter condos with a "spectatular" view of Freindship Market at only $200,000 USD with a guaranteed annual appreciation of 15%....only 10% down. Many subscribers! Glad I didn't buy into this one!

But there are many other great deals like this one! Just read all the real estate publications.

I remember this guy.  He and some associates held a seminar entitled "Pattaya Property Boom---Prices Can Only Go Up-and-Up". 

They were offering 22 square meter condos with a "spectatular" view of Freindship Market at only $200,000 USD with a guaranteed annual appreciation of 15%....only 10% down.  Many subscribers!  Glad I didn't buy into this one!

But there are many other great deals like this one!  Just read all the real estate publications.

One of the main reasons I posted this was to see if anyone knew him. Given that he has been here for quite some time, that he had big bucks, a boat, and was likely to be high-profile, I was just wondering if TV members might have seen him about. That's interesting Bel that you had. Especially at some new scam he was running. I'm surprised he was high-profile given that the FBI was on the trail. If I'm him and had his money and was a wanted man, I'd be so hidden, albeit very luxuriously, precious very few people in the whole country would know about it. I could say "when" (that's enough) if I had hit the money plateau he had.

But it does go to show you can be a wanted man, but still show your face frequently around Pattaya for a long time... (here since '96 or so?)... and still not get nabbed or picked up.

I'm sure he's to lose some of that tonnage (he's listed on the FBI files at 275 pounds/125 kilos) while the Thai's are holding on to him, feeding him jail-house gruel.

:o I know that guy.....He used to ride a big yamaha...I talked to him a few times...He was a nice guy though...loved his food.... :D

Wow... another "recognizer"... sorry, I guess I should have read all the follow-on posts first.

Very interesting remarks, too... I imagine he was a pretty smooth talker and personable. Most "confidence" men are. Great actors, but I can also imagine that away from their "game", that they could actually be pretty decent people to know. I assume that was your situation, Pluto?

Might I enquire about your talks... just of a general nature? And when?

He's tall, yes as well as big. I can imagine quite a physical prescense when he also rode on a big yamaha. A 900cc by chance?

Had he slimmed at all when you knew of him from his '96 photo and measurements?

Any physical changes to his photo? (hair dye, moustache, etc.?). I assume no mention of his case, but what of his demeanor? Did it give ANY indication he was on the FBI's most wanted list?

Sorry if I seem too inquisitive. Just that criminology has been an area I like to study. I'd appreciate any feedback or your impressions from anyone knowing of him.

This is 1999 photo of his associate James Stanley Elberhart;

noveberhart.jpg

Thanks for the pic, Lop. I hadn't seen one anywhere.

This is the man that's still on the lam, but interesting they can't narrow his location to anything more than "SE Asia", while they seemed positive of his buddy's location in Thailand.

He's obviously doing a much job of concealment.

Of note is that neither of these man have passports, visas, etc. Just cash. Somehow that puts all of our laments, frustrations, efforts that go into be legit in all areas into perspective.... as these guys float around with nothing but wads of dough and no documents. Such a different lifestyle from all of us members posting... altho' maybe Orion76 might be close to it... :o

Thai police arrested Eugene Marcel Carriere, 56, on Thursday night in Pattaya, 70 kilometers (44 miles) south of Bangkok,

So how accurate is the rest of the report ?

Ah yes... journalistic geography. Reminds me of the reputable Newsweek magazine article a couple years ago that referred to Pattaya as being even closer. It was a "suburb" (unquote) of Bangkok.

Other than this "writer's blip" I have confidence in the other details.

I've seen Carriere's photo today on the front page of a Thai newspaper as he was being arrested. He had lost, maybe, 2 or 3 pounds, had shorter hair and a goatee. His big Yamaha could be seen in the background.

Thanks for the added info. Here's a bit more:

BANGKOK, Thailand A fugitive wanted by the F-B-I on fraud charges has been arrested in Thailand after six years on the lam.

Thai police say Eugene Marcel Carriere (KAH'-ree-air) was arrested yesterday in the resort town of Pattaya (pah-THAI-yah) on illegal entry charges. He'll be deported to the United States next week.

----------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like they will be processing him outta here quickly.

BANGKOK, Thailand A fugitive wanted by the F-B-I on fraud charges has been arrested in Thailand after six years on the lam.

Thai police say Eugene Marcel Carriere (KAH'-ree-air) was arrested yesterday in the resort town of Pattaya (pah-THAI-yah) on illegal entry charges. He'll be deported to the United States next week.

Better he's in the US (yoo nighted sa-tates) than Thailand (tie-land) :o

Gazza (gass-zaa)

Thursday night in Pattaya, 70 kilometers (44 miles) south of Bangkok, said police Col. .....

70 clicks.... :D

If Pattaya gets any closer to Bangers you wont need to get the Bus.Should be able to walk from On-Nut. :o

Nice of them teaching the Yanks to say Pah-THAI-yah instead of the pathetic PAT-y-a they usually use.

This guy oviously does not read this forum,as he would have kept a very low profile,and not promoted property and just stayed on his boat.

Did he not know we have very well trained VTP,who must have spotted him,shopped him, and then claimed the reward.

Its in the VTP manual to check the FBI most wanted every night before they go to sleep.

Nice of them teaching the Yanks to say Pah-THAI-yah instead of the pathetic PAT-y-a they usually use.

Strange the Thais pronounce it Pat-THA-Ya? :o

Better he's in the US (yoo nighted sa-tates) than Thailand (tie-land) :D

Gazza (gass-zaa)

---------------------------------------------------------

Strange the Thais pronounce it Pat-THA-Ya? :D

My wife often calls PTY "par THAI yar" in jest as she heard some of my work mates call it that. But as she says it is pronounced "put tee yaar" in the english (language) way. Same as Sri Racha, I hear so many folks call it See Ratcha when really it is pronounce as seelarsha by the locals.

Thursday night in Pattaya, 70 kilometers (44 miles) south of Bangkok, said police Col. .....

70  clicks.... :D

If Pattaya gets any closer to Bangers you wont need to get the Bus.Should be able to walk from On-Nut. :o

Crazy huh? wish it was that easy.

By the way, with hair that shade of blue how do either of these guys expect to remain inconspicuous?