Learning Thai Script

SoloFlyer

Does anyone have a copy of this? I cant find it around anywhere (the one that i bought, nor is it online) ... if someone has a copy perhaps we could trade for ??

Never heard of it. What is ANU? Our library has quite a collection of oldies (not so many newbies) for thai language learning, I might be able to track it down for you if you can provide more details.

Does anyone have a copy of this? I cant find it around anywhere (the one that i bought, nor is it online) ... if someone has a copy perhaps we could trade for ??

Maybe you mean the one which can be found on the Australian National University (ANU) site.

As I can not post a url (against forum rules) do a google search on :-

"Current Publications Available from the National Thai Studies Centre"

and it should be the first link listed on Google and, whin cliked on, I think the book was listed second on the page that comes up.

Hope this helps.

ST

p.s. Comments on the book(s) would be interesting if you have time to do so. I am sure Softwater and others would also appreciate it.

Edited by Scottish Thailander

I'd welcome any recommendation on a 'beginner's book'.

I intend to start a local course in January but would like to get a head start, I've looked in Sengho in Phuket but couldn't find one - or a staff member who could assist - I'd imagine they would have them they have so many books on speaking Thai, if i have a title/author it would help.

Thanks

I intend to start a local course in January but would like to get a head start, I've looked in Sengho in Phuket but couldn't find one - or a staff member who could assist - I'd imagine they would have them they have so many books on speaking Thai, if i have a title/author it would help.

Thanks

genghis61

Recommendations are common throughout this forum.

You need to decide if you want to initially just learn to speak, or simultaneously learn to read/write in Thai script. Both options have supporters and critics. The main criticism is that if you don't learn Thai script from the start then you have to learn (at least) one form of transliteration and will not be as correct in your pronunciation.

Speaking/listening only: I suggest Pimsleur Thai as a good starting course.

Speaking/listening with reading/writing options either simultaneousy or afterwards/part way through:-

Linguaphone (the full course) is also good but expensive.

David Smyths' "Teach Yourself Thai" book is a cheaper similar (he was part of the design of Linguaphone)

And of course, the Benjawan Poomsan Becker series is also a popular chioce.

"Everyday Thai for Beginners" is another option but it does not use transliteration and starts by intensively teaching the Thai script/reading.

Take a look at these first and see which suits your style of learning.

Whichever you decide, the Pimsleur is probably worth any getting and using as you can use it on your mp3 player all day and it does not need a book at any time which means you are continually practicing.

ST.

Thanks guys. Yes its the Australian National Uni CD. I bought it years ago but cant find it. Now I'm learning to write I'm looking for a good way to remember the alphabet classification system and tonal rules, and I think the ANU was pretty good. - I'm open to other suggestions (not a follower of the forum).

One kind member sent me some files, but it wouldnt install.

David Smyths' "Teach Yourself Thai" book is a cheaper similar (he was part of the design of Linguaphone)

And of course, the Benjawan Poomsan Becker series is also a popular chioce.

I started learning Thai with "Teach Yourself Thai" before my first trip to Thailand but "Thai for Beginners" by Benjawan Poomsan Becker was the first textbook that helped me master the Thai script without confusion. So I recommend to use these books in the following order: ① TFB, ② TYT. I also recommend to listen to the CDs attached to both books until you learn the contents by heart. :)

I would be careful doing too much theoretical studies before listening a lot to Thai. You will learn and try to associate tones to something that you actually can't hear the difference of. If you start to speak (or learn theoretically) before you can hear the difference between the tones, then you'll get them wrong and you will create a habit of saying it wrongly, it's much more difficult to correct later.

Also remember that the consonants and the beginning and the ends of the words are the part that carries the important information in English but in a tonal language, it's the vowels that are the most important. It is likely that it is the vowels that you need to correct, not the consonants

My recommendation: Your ears are your most important tool until you can clearly hear the difference between the tones, then start with reading writing if you want

Edited by MikeyIdea