Staff Salary Review Time

Hi guys,

After not providing our staff with a salary increase in 2009 it's time to review for 2010.

My understanding is that Thailand's CPI is actually negative at the moment - can anyone confirm this?

Additionally, does anyone know what current fulltime earnings increases are running at in Thailand?

My thinking is that a slight increase (based on performance of course!) is fair & equitable but I need to build a business case.

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

GGG

Hi guys,

After not providing our staff with a salary increase in 2009 it's time to review for 2010.

My understanding is that Thailand's CPI is actually negative at the moment - can anyone confirm this?

Additionally, does anyone know what current fulltime earnings increases are running at in Thailand?

My thinking is that a slight increase (based on performance of course!) is fair & equitable but I need to build a business case.

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

GGG

A guide would be 3% rise in base pay hourly rate per year over 3 years. However this should

be linked with improved productivity. Productivity is not working harder or longer but working more efficiently. On going training of staff and management. If you work more efficiently you get more productivity over the same time frame. Use the CPI as a guide only.

Overall productivity is low in Thailand compared with say Singapore, Malaysia or Australia.

FWIW:

my management personnel starting salary is around 10,000 baht per month with free room and board.

my office persons starting salary is around 8,000 baht per month with free room and board.

other staff members starting salary is around 6,000 baht per month with free room and board.

depending on performance and bottom line of the company, generally each above average performing person will receive about 5% increase in pay.

for the year 2010, starting in january, the overall increase would probably be around only 3%. but there are about 3 persons who would receive about 10% increase in 2010, due to their willingness to perform above and beyond their normal work requirements. there are two females and one male in this group.

The BOT issues a quarterly inflation report. They are forecasting core inflation at 1%-2.5% and headline at 3.5% to 5.5% next year.

We aren’t allowed to post links to certain newspapers, but there was an article today that said 42% of business said they froze salaries last year, but only 14% intend to so this year. Also said the expected increases would be in the range 4.7% compared to the 3.4% last year.

TH