Simple Computer Question

tgeezer

I bought a new laptop in Bangkok about 12 months ago. It has Vista installed. When I was in England last September I got a message saying that my Word programme was not genuine. I deleted it. Now of course there are a few things which don't work. Does Word not come included with Vista? My brother bought a computer with Vista in England and seems to have it. I wish that I had not ditched it can I do anything? I am assuming that I have paid for it.

Word comes with Microsoft Office. Vista will have a couple of simple word processing programs but NOT Word. I use Open Office from Sun Microsystems and it does everything Microsoft Office will do. It works fine with Windows 7 also.

Google Open Office and the download will be available. The download is quite large, over 100 MB but it works well.

Sometimes it comes on a 30 day demo with Visat/XP etc and often a copy of a 'free' copy of M$ Works is bundled. What deosn't work - it should not affect anything once uninstalled - you did unistall rather than delete the folder, yes?

There should be a free word reader program you can download to view word documents. In my limited experience Open Office does not display any word document properly. WordPad is a basic processing program and should be on your Vista computer.

I use Open Office from Sun Microsystems and it does everything Microsoft Office will do. It works fine with Windows 7 also.

I will second that - works well on XP, Vista and Win7 and it is free

My goodness this is a busy forum I had dropped off the radar. thankyou everybody for the help. I am not a computer ace! I only want to know if I have done any harm I know that I can't open anything in 'word' and soon anything I have I will get used to not having. I propose to ditch all the Word stuff. I did in fact uninstall Word so propose that I uninstall anything else which I don't want MS works Power point viewer, MS works Task launcher,get open office. That's about it. If I am likely to do harm I wont want to do it, so I trust that if noone says anything I would be safe to do this. I trust you.